Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

import or export corrupt?

willjrock

Does anyone else have hlx files that wont import back into helix after "backing  up"?

I exported all of my setlists before updating to the new firmware (all at once) and after updating, helix wont correctly import about three of one hundred .hlx files. A couple of my best ones too, :( My luck. The files seem to be the right size, its just that helix wont read its information. They were fine before the update. Heres one of them if anyone wants to try to import it. Thanks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26654830/Starz.hlx   

Windows 7

PS lol - i actually exported the same preset more than once because after i backed up the first time, i created a couple more presets, and instead of simply exporting just the newly made presets, i exported the entire bank again. Dont ask me why i did that but i did....So the point is that yes, ive tried the other files too, same result. Thanks again

Does anyone else have hlx files that wont import back into helix after "backing up"?

I exported all of my setlists before updating to the new firmware (all at once) and after updating, helix wont correctly import about three of one hundred .hlx files. A couple of my best ones too, :( My luck. The files seem to be the right size, its just that helix wont read its information. They were fine before the update. Heres one of them if anyone wants to try to import it. Thanks

Windows 7

PS lol - i actually exported the same preset more than once because after i backed up the first time, i created a couple more presets, and instead of simply exporting just the newly made presets, i exported the entire bank again. Dont ask me why i did that but i did....So the point is that yes, ive tried the other files too, same result. Thanks again

Man, that sucks! Hope you're able to recreate them again! If I get the chance, I'll try and load them and see.

• Upvote 1

If you have a decent file compare tool, compare that dead one with some others that work, and see if there's anything different about the structure of it (i.e., not the control values, which of course will be different). Probably not, but it's worth checking. If it's worth it to you, maybe create some hand edited copies, swapping out sections in the dead one for the same pieces on ones the work, see if you can get close, and maybe diagnose what makes the broken one broken.

• Upvote 1

Heres one of them if anyone wants to try to import it. Thanks

Windows 7

willjrock,

I have just click on your DropBox link and I'm not getting the "Starz.hlx" file, but it's a bunch of code that seems to have been converted to raw text and what downloads is a file tagged "Starz.hlx.txt". This usually happens to files that are transferred across the net if they aren't compressed, i.e.: zip, RAR encoded.

Anyhow, as it stands I cannot get it to load into then Helix editor software, even after hacking the file extension around. Checking what I can from the text file I can see that you had a Line 6 Electric amp, 10 band graphic EQ and an Impulse Response 2048 file in the patch, but not much else.

Repost the patch in a compressed form so it will copy across to my Mac and I will try again.

:)  

• Upvote 1

willjrock,

I have just click on your DropBox link and I'm not getting the "Starz.hlx" file, but it's a bunch of code that seems to have been converted to raw text and what downloads is a file tagged "Starz.hlx.txt". This usually happens to files that are transferred across the net if they aren't compressed, i.e.: zip, RAR encoded.

Anyhow, as it stands I cannot get it to load into then Helix editor software, even after hacking the file extension around. Checking what I can from the text file I can see that you had a Line 6 Electric amp, 10 band graphic EQ and an Impulse Response 2048 file in the patch, but not much else.

Repost the patch in a compressed form so it will copy across to my Mac and I will try again.

:)  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26654830/Starz.zip

Sheesh. It never occurred to me that file would need zipped being that small...not to mention ive sent full programs in an email before. .exe....anyway thanks for your interest.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26654830/Starz.zip

Sheesh. It never occurred to me that file would need zipped being that small...not to mention ive sent full programs in an email before. .exe....anyway thanks for your interest.

Sorry dude, your original file must have got corrupted somehow. I can get no further with it than before, just the name of the patch shows up in the setlist - nothing in any of the blocks. It's gotta be screwed up, but it was worth trying. Maybe someone else with a PC would like to try - you never know it may work.

• Upvote 1

Did the compare thing w a random preset of mine, didn't see anything obviously askew.

At the risk of asking stupid questions, are you completely certain you're importing into firmware that's at least as recent as this preset?

Have you tried rolling back and importing it into 201? Not that you want to be there, just as a diagnostic.

Sucks if this is a general problem. Since datacommando couldn't import it either, it's pretty likely bent somehow. I haven't been w my Helix to try it myself yet. Come to think of it, I should try importing it before I upgrade, see if it's a 210 thing.

I strongly suggest sending the file to Support, see what they make of it. It's important that they get an understanding of the problem ASAP so it can get fixed before more people get pronged.

Sorry dude, your original file must have got corrupted somehow. I can get no further with it than before, just the name of the patch shows up in the setlist - nothing in any of the blocks. It's gotta be screwed up, but it was worth trying. Maybe someone else with a PC would like to try - you never know it may work.

Thank you my man. Your time is highly appreciated. Now as i said in my OP (its kind of wordy and poorly written i know - so no fault of yours if you didnt catch it. im assuming you DID and am just echoing) i exported that SAME file earlier in the week and i get the same result when trying to import it. I'll hit support up with all of this but that was peculiar to me and just thought it may be useful info to you. Maybe the incident is repeatable? Maybe its that particular  preset slot?

It seems odd to me that two separate exports would result in the same outcome. Again, The file size is right....i dont know. Thank you again.

Did the compare thing w a random preset of mine, didn't see anything obviously askew.

At the risk of asking stupid questions, are you completely certain you're importing into firmware that's at least as recent as this preset?

Have you tried rolling back and importing it into 201? Not that you want to be there, just as a diagnostic.

Sucks if this is a general problem. Since datacommando couldn't import it either, it's pretty likely bent somehow. I haven't been w my Helix to try it myself yet. Come to think of it, I should try importing it before I upgrade, see if it's a 210 thing.

I strongly suggest sending the file to Support, see what they make of it. It's important that they get an understanding of the problem ASAP so it can get fixed before more people get pronged.

Apologies "zooey", I didn't see a link to your "control sample file" in the thread, so I'm only checking the latest update! D'oh! Looking at an older sample of mine they were way different not in e.g.: file size, but structure - totally askew! No similarity.

Oh, and the reason to zip it isn't to make it small, it's to wrap it up in a container that's easier to transport over the net.

True - it acts like a cocoon for some files types over the web- a safety net, if you will (or even if you won't ;)).

Thank you my man. Your time is highly appreciated. Now as i said in my OP (its kind of wordy and poorly written i know - so no fault of yours if you didnt catch it. im assuming you DID and am just echoing) i exported that SAME file earlier in the week and i get the same result when trying to import it. I'll hit support up with all of this but that was peculiar to me and just thought it may be useful info to you. Maybe the incident is repeatable? Maybe its that particular  preset slot?

It seems odd to me that two separate exports would result in the same outcome. Again, The file size is right....i dont know. Thank you again.

No hassle, "willjrock", we're all just on a problem solving exercise. If we can fix it then everyone benefits, right?

FYI: both files from your Dropbox gave same results - i.e.: Import (plus drag and drop) into empty slot in Helix Editor Setlist - result: file name "Starz" appears in slot, but all patch blocks are blank, nada, zip, zilch - nuthin. Other than the previously reported stuff that I could scrape out of the file - Sorry, but"that's all she wrote"!

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

Same issue here with v2.10.

Two different behevior, one preset not showing any block from dsp1 (2 last paths).  I can export that preset, with 2.10,
and see all the missing blocks.

The other preset, anything from dsp0 is not showing up, cannot see anything from the export preset file either.  
Hopefully, I can find all the missing info from the Setlist export made before v2.10 update.

These 2 presets were using Snapshot, might be related, cause so far, from that setlist, only these 2 has this issue.

Ticket has just been opened with L6 Support.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

Same issue here with v2.10.

Two different behevior, one preset not showing any block from dsp1 (2 last paths).  I can export that preset, with 2.10,

and see all the missing blocks.

The other preset, anything from dsp0 is not showing up, cannot see anything from the export preset file either.  

Hopefully, I can find all the missing info from the Setlist export made before v2.10 update.

These 2 presets were using Snapshot, might be related, cause so far, from that setlist, only these 2 has this issue.

Ticket has just been opened with L6 Support.

Hey thanks for joining in. Mine at least didnt involve snapshots.  

Just to clarify, does it seem that the new firmware doesn't EXPORT reliably, or doesn't IMPORT reliably, or doesn't IMPORT presets from EARLIER releases reliably? I've read a bunch a msgs about this and it's not 100% clear to me where the problem actually is.

• Upvote 1

Not even close to a stupid question. Yep preset was built in 2.01 exported FROM 2.01 and imported into 2.10

I did not attempt to roll back. Im sure it would work. The info is there. It just seems as if 2.1 software isnt recognizing. or 2.01 didnt export that preset properly.....Did you get a chance to check yours yet? Im curious as to what you find.

I will get this in to support asap.  good call. Sounds like im not alone. Very much appreciate your brain power here Z.

I am curious about the whole "export / import" aspect. We basically export setlist with the current editor app.(2.01) Then update to a new Editor app.(2.10)/Firmware. Then import "old" setlist into a "new" editor environment. I'm not a programmer, but seems like a situation that can cause problems.

You're right that the software has some homework to do to adjust existing presets to the new world. In most software that's done in place, without the export-import process, but the net process is the same when everything works right.

The way I've always written such stuff is to store a "data format version" in the data, and write a series of transformations from version 1 to version 2 to version 3 etc, so no matter how old a given bit of data (preset in this case) is, all and only the steps needed to migrate it up to the current version run. It seems likely that L6 does something similar. If you look in a preset file, it has fields for device_version, appversion, and one just called version.

As to what's going wrong with the different aspects of presets that aren't upgrading successfully sometimes, or to put it differently, why L6 thought they had things handled but wrong things happen in some cases, at this point it's only speculation. I'm sure they'll put significant attention on it as soon as possible. People love the new amps and features, but this upgrade is clearly causing problems for a significant number of users, the most I've seen since I got my Helix back in April, and that's not good for anyone, L6 included.

@will, using firmware 201, importing your Starz preset I get nothing but the title, no blocks in either path. Another data point in this somewhat unhappy saga...

I wonder if its fair then, to conclude that the export part of the equation is where the problem lies? Seems so.

This could be a terrible idea but I wonder sometimes if it might not be better to have a standalone converter program for converting older preset versions to the proper format for the latest firmware. Each bundle, setlist and preset would have the version number and build number as part of its header after conversion. If it did not match the version of the firmware you were trying to load to it would issue a message to that effect and bail out. Having the header version of the intended firmware in the converted backups would guarantee that you could not load presets converted with an outdated 'Converter' version or with the incorrect version of the target firmware. To do this the 'Convertor' would need to be able to do an internet call to a Line6 site to check the latest 'Convertor' build number before creating the backups to make sure you are using converted backups created by the latest version of the 'Convertor'. The Editor would also need to contact this same site to ensure that the backups being restored had been created using the latest version of the 'Convertor'. You could potentially have an override on the Editor's internet version check (load at your own risk) for emergency restores at a gig where there was no internet connectivity. This is no quick fix and would take some work.

Potentially as well a converter would be able to render your backups in a format that could match whatever firmware version you selected, making rolling back firmware versions simpler. Perhaps not as ideal or convenient as having the conversion built into the firmware upgrade but one advantage might be that if there was a bug in the conversion it would be a quick fix to the converter instead of having to dive into and reissue the firmware. It might make the testing process easier for L6 as it would not require rolling back firmware versions to test the conversion process. Converted presets rendered by the converter could easily be tested at the 'last minute' (hopefully a bit before) when the final version of the firmware was ready for release. Right now the beta testers have probably gone through several builds of the firmware with their already converted presets by the time the final build arrives. A converter might clarify and simplify that final part of the testing process (making sure prior version's presets load properly in the new firmware).

I am also still not convinced that we do not need a larger beta testing group. I think the guys doing it are some of the best and brightest here but a larger group seems to be in order. Not advocating to do it myself btw, not sure I want that responsibility, just saying perhaps we should add some folks to the beta test of varying skill levels.

Really, the process needed is the same whether the convertor is part of the firmware, part of the updater, a separate installed app, or an online web app. L6 knows about all this, or we wouldn't have made it this far, and besides, it's standard practice. Also, there wouldn't be all those version numbers in preset files if they weren't planning to use them for just this purpose.

Some stuff slipped through the cracks this time is all, it happens. Maybe they really wanted it out for the holiday weekend (which I have to say IS a nice thought), maybe there were some internal miscommunications, maybe someone kidnapped the heads of engineering and QA, who knows. But I am sure they know how this sort of process needs to be built, and they'll be on the case shortly.

Really, the process needed is the same whether the convertor is part of the firmware, part of the updater, a separate installed app, or an online web app. L6 knows about all this, or we wouldn't have made it this far, and besides, it's standard practice. Also, there wouldn't be all those version numbers in preset files if they weren't planning to use them for just this purpose.

Some stuff slipped through the cracks this time is all, it happens. Maybe they really wanted it out for the holiday weekend (which I have to say IS a nice thought), maybe there were some internal miscommunications, maybe someone kidnapped the heads of engineering and QA, who knows. But I am sure they know how this sort of process needs to be built, and they'll be on the case shortly.

Agree with most of this although I am not sure breaking out the preset conversion process might not be helpful. It is not the same to have the preset conversion included as part of the firmware upgrade; many people have problems with the firmware upgrade so having them do it multiple times solely to get the preset migration correct is riskier. Running multiple conversions with a standalone Convertor would not leave people with the same level of risk of bricking their Helix as having them do multiple firmware updates. Some of the same issues would apply though if the processes were split out, people might then start having issues with doing multiple conversions but at least their Helix would remain in action while they got it straightened out. I don't mean to come off as sounding negative, there are a lot of people who put a ton of hard work into this update. Their efforts are hugely appreciated! Just trying to make suggestions to make the process better, many of which I am sure have already occurred to them and perhaps been rejected for good reasons.  :)

@will, using firmware 201, importing your Starz preset I get nothing but the title, no blocks in either path. Another data point in this somewhat unhappy saga...

@ zooey!

Glad you can confirm that what you got was the exact same result I got yesterday: see my post #11 above;

quote -"FYI: both files from your Dropbox gave same results - i.e.: Import (plus drag and drop) into empty slot in Helix Editor Setlist - result: file name "Starz" appears in slot, but all patch blocks are blank, nada, zip, zilch - nuthin. Other than the previously reported stuff that I could scrape out of the file - Sorry, but"that's all she wrote!"

This was my OP called "Hasn't Line 6 learned?

That outlines many of our collective frustration updating firmware. There is one member called "Hefonthefjords" that seems to be very knowledgeable in "computer speak". This member gave a solution to the expression pedal problem. I believe that member should or could be involved in update rollouts to avoid Line 6 user angst.

"So eagerly, I alongside possibly thousands of other faithful Line 6 users downloaded the "latest and greatest" update 2.10 only to be disappointed in the "schemozzle" of the Expression pedal being unusable and the presets sounding completely different!!

As a professional musician I rely on dependabilty and predictability of my equipment to ensure my audience is pleased.

The new update is a disgrace. So much so I am hoping that I can roll back to 2.01 and get my tones back.

This new update has clearly not been tested by working/gigging musicians and it seems to me has been released for "Thanksgiving" to "Please" the "I want something now crowd" !!! It is no wonder Line 6 has a bad reputation with some musicians.

Line 6 If you are going to update Helix or any Line 6 product GET IT RIGHT or don't dot it !!!!!"

• Downvote 2

To the OP...like others have reported here, importing your STARZ preset into Helix Editor 2.01 and 2.1 results in a blank preset. Do you have a Setlist saved that includes the STARZ preset that you could share or your original presets that you tried to import - you said only 3 out of 100 failed to import. Can you share that file with us so we can get a fuller picture of what kind of file you were importing, Preset, Setlist, Bundle.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an answer yesterday from L6 Support :

http://line6.com/account/tickets/edit/289661

Hi,Thanks for your patience with this bug.  We have a fix and it will be released soon with a new firmware release.Will - Line 6 Support

Yeah thanks. I didnt have time to roll back to 2.01 so im not sure how much help i was, but im glad its getting sorted.