Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Updater Doesn't See Helix.

wcmexbm

Did you install the driver?

Start by downloading the Helix app (not firmware). Select Helix in the Software (not Products) filed on the Downloads page. After downloading, run the installer file to install the app, driver, and Line 6 Updater. Follow the instructions you find on the Helix app download page.

Hi, Yes, drivers are installed (1.84)?, Win 10 wont assign drivers to any port and therefore apps (updater, helix control) wont recognize the device.

Very weird, the installer for the L6 drivers has changed, usually it tells you to unplug or not-plug in the hardware then, after the drivers have been placed on the system, the installer will prompt you to then plug in and turn on your device. All I got was the first prompt, but then it just stated that the driver was installed.

I've restarted windows but still no luck.

It sounds like you are installing the driver as a separate piece. Try following the installation procedures, which involve downloading the Helix app installer as indicated above. Running that installer installs compatible versions of the app, the driver, and the Line 6 Updater program all at once.

My Helix is now apparently bricked. I did as you stated and downloaded the "Helix" software package which installed the drivers etc...  Then I ran the L6 updater which did recognize the Helix HW. So I let the installer do the update which said was sucsessful but now my Helix lcd screnn flashed the L6 logo and says "helix rack" superimposed over the the word"Helix" and fails to go beyond this point. Reset perhaps and start over?

Thanks for your help today, BTW.

hi, no, It's as I stated: on the hardware- black background, Line 6 logo, below that, "Helix" but superimposed on top of that it says "Helix Rack" I've a floor unit btw.

and it goes no further than that, and l6 updater no longer recognizes the unit.

So, How to reset? If this fails I'm sending it back as a faulty unit for an exchange.

No - the problem is Line 6!

The latest updater is 1.10.

If you follow the update instructions exactly it installs updater 1.09.

So Line 6 Helix team don't know that some other part of line 6 has updated the updater!!!

Yes, if you follow the instructions precisely it should install 1.09 over 1.10 - but really - what if you have multiple line 6 devices??

Line 6 - make a decent update package like any decent developer would - please - I feel for all these people having unnecessary problems.

I also know it's stopping people moving to the Helix because forums like this are full of stuff like "I just bricked my Helix"

Well then that's really strange because I installed the lastest updater 1.10 a few weeks ago, and I just installed the updater with the Firmware update and it reverted to 1.09.

That's definitely strange.

Anyone else got any information - this is more than a little concerning unless everything works fine with 1.10 or 1.09.

My helix is showing the same display as mentioned in the thread after my update failed. I have tried all of the boot up footswitch combinations by Line 6 with no success. I am using Windows 10. My Helix will show the Version 2.10 in the updater program, but it won't boot up and it doesn't show up in the Editor. I am sure that I downloaded the floor version. My updater version is 1.10.

Edit-To clarify I was updating from 2.01 to 2.10.

OK, I finally got my Helix update worked out. I started out w/ firmware v1.06.5.

Using updater v1.84 I incrementally updated from v2.0 thru the current 2.10 firmware.

Attempting to update from 1.06 directly to 2.10 was a massive fail and for some reason the updater was downloading the Helix Rack firmware into my Floor unit.

Anyway incremental update seems to be the ticket. Just make sure that with each update you perform the button 8&9 reset before continuing on to the next.

By the way; Shame on You Line 6 for releasing firmware updates w/ in-built work-arounds.

The restarting-while-holding-buttons-X AND Z- or-your-unit -will-not- function-properly really, Really stinks. Your updater should take care of all such non-sense.

• Upvote 1

Glad you are up and running. I'm sure Line 6 are well aware of the shortcomings in the updater process and have it on the roadmap to fix it. Any of you that remember the days before Monkey will recognize where we're at right now with Helix. In the original red bean POD, the upgrade to firmware 2.0 required them actually mailing you a chip, a chip puller tool, and a set of instruction how to take your POD apart to pull and replace the chip. I'm glad we're past that nonsense!

That's strange. It installed Updater v1.10 for me (Windows 10).

I bought a brand new HELIX Tuesday from Guitar Center. It was factory sealed and had fw 1.06.5.

I nad no problems using a borrowed MS Surface Pro to install fw 2.10, following the 2.10 Install instructions.

Granted, I do concur the Installation Instructions could be clarified, and Line 6's Updater firmware procedures could be improved. The absence of an integrated, well implement IR management tool creates plenty of headaches fir many. I am optimistic and confident that Line 6 recognizes this deficit, and that Line 6 is endeavoring to remedy this scenario.

As a brand new HELIX owner, I am glad that I do not have any legacy version Presets, Patches, IRs, etc., to be concerned about.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to put this out there as I was having the same issue with my Helix. When I would open the Updater it would not see my Helix.  I am running Windows 7 (still) and version 2.211 on my Helix.  All is was is that I had my HX edit application still open.  I closed it out and fired up the Updater, logged in and it now will see my Helix. Hope this helps anyone who was having this same issue.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I've been in IT for over 20 years, and i know when an application is Junk. And this Line6 updater is JUNK!. I go through the recommened install procedure, start it up (first the line 6 updater won't launch with the HX effect unit plugged in)  Please fix this POS.  Before i send this 600.00 paper weight back. 

I've been in IT for over 20 years, and i know when an application is Junk. And this Line6 updater is JUNK!. I go through the recommened install procedure, start it up (first the line 6 updater won't launch with the HX effect unit plugged in)  Please fix this POS.  Before i send this 600.00 paper weight back. 

What OS are you using?

No HX Edit on the PC. Yeas, i have HX Effects in device manager.

So did you only install Line 6 Updater? Did you install the HX Effects drivers?

Try downloading and installing the HX Edit installer package. That will give you the latest drivers, the newest version of Updater, and HX Edit. Than try running Updater again.

Yeah, just like the website said. I first downloaded the windows driver, then the updater software. I installed the driver first, then the updater. Powered on like it said and nothing

Have you tried restarting your computer? Beyond that, it's always worth trying another USB port and/or cable.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, dfranks said:

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to put this out there as I was having the same issue with my Helix. When I would open the Updater it would not see my Helix.  I am running Windows 7 (still) and version 2.211 on my Helix.  All is was is that I had my HX edit application still open.  I closed it out and fired up the Updater, logged in and it now will see my Helix. Hope this helps anyone who was having this same issue.  

Thanks for this, been driving me nuts!!

Cheers

Dean