Sign in to follow this  
randyNH

Using the POD HD to only record dry track (later to be used with separate VST)

I have had the POD for a while.  I recently got some VST's I want to use for the guitar tone.  I have been using the POD as my interface.  I send the guitar through a patch with no amp.  I use the mixer, in the pod, to boost the signal 9.5 db because the signal is too low otherwise.  Is this an optimal method of recording a dry track?  I will be getting an Audient ID14 to track vocals.  I'm wondering if going straight through the Audient will be a better option

They both use the USB interface so your signal will only go thru one set of data converters either way, but I assume the Audient unit has better data converters than the POD (same price but POD = interface+models while Audient is only interface, so they can afford to spend more on the data converters). They both use ASIO but Audient is probably "better" since that company focuses on DAW interfaces and high-end recording. "Better" means lower latency but maybe also stability, although I've never had stability issues with the POD. Since you're getting the Audient anyway, I'd use that until you fill it's 2 channels with other stuff, in which case put the guitar thru the POD.