Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Difficulties updating Helix

Paulzx

Hi all,

Just got myself a Helix and starting to regret it without even having used it yet.

It didn't have the latest firmware so I've attempted to get it to 2.10 but I am having epic difficulties with this thing. Using the Line 6 updater I can get it up to version 2.00 but after that it seems to just corrupt and I end up trying to re-load 1.06.5 just to get it working again.

The most recent attempt to get to 2.10 resulted in my floor unit telling me it was a rack unit on the somewhat messed up screen and then it wouldn't work at all, so back to 1.06.5 and it works again.

I have tried applying all the updates one by one because going straight to 2.10 is not working. Is it correct to try and apply all the updates in sequence or should I be trying just to get the 2.10 update regardless of the current version the unit is running on?

This is without doubt one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with any guitar hardware, I know others have had issues also but I have no idea why this is happening. Surely it cannot be my pc because it's applying the earlier updates?

Any help is very welcome at this point.

Thanks

I have tried applying all the updates one by one because going straight to 2.10 is not working. Is it correct to try and apply all the updates in sequence or should I be trying just to get the 2.10 update regardless of the current version the unit is running on?

You should not need to proceed through the updates sequentially. You should just have to install update version 2.10. However, it is very important to follow all instructions carefully. You need to begin with the Helix editor application. You will find this on the Downloads page by selecting Helix in the Software (not Products) field. You will see the detailed instructions there.

In particular, do not just download the firmware and try to install it separately.

You should not need to proceed through the updates sequentially. You should just have to install update version 2.10. However, it is very important to follow all instructions carefully. You need to begin with the Helix editor application. You will find this on the Downloads page by selecting Helix in the Software (not Products) field. You will see the detailed instructions there.

In particular, do not just download the firmware and try to install it separately.

Man, i know its a bit easier said than done because we all have different machines and different OS', and some of us have different units, but when you read a post saying  "download and install the NEW Helix editor application (2.10), available here"  the next click probably *should* take you to your download, and not another search for a download. 

I know its not a hard thing to find after that, but i def could see how it can cause some confusion. Just my 2 cents anyway.

• Upvote 1

Hi Paulzx,

See my note above - now to try to actually help you!

You don't say if you have rack or floor unit - I'm assuming floor.

If your Helix is brand new and you don't really need to save anything - and you really don't given how much better everything is since your version, You should be able to do the firmware upgrade to 2.10 directly.  (If you were updating from a more recent version and had lots of patches, you would use the editor for that version to backup before this step)

Delete any other line 6 software downloads you have floating around - you don't want to accidently use anything wrong!!

You go here to get the updater and  firmware -  

http://line6.com/software/  

For the updater - in the selection boxes you select Helix - Line 6 Updater - your OS  You want version 1.10

Install the updater.

For the firmware you select Helix - All Software - Mac OS X (or whatever OS you use)

On this page (just to start the confusion) the first download offered is the 2.10 Editor.  You will need that, so you can download it now if you like, but first you need the firmware installed to be able to use the editor. 

You scroll down to the next page to find the firmware.  The download button is in the bottom right of the page.

Follow the instructions precisely (Print them or screen grab before moving on). Make sure you do all the restarts

Your Helix should now be working fine as a v2.10 with all new factory presets and all the user setlists empty.

A clean slate (but right up to date)

After installing the firmware, you can install the editor - The instructions for both assume you want to backup settings, I'm assuming that is a waste of time for you.

Now I just contradicted 'silverhead' - I don't believe you actually even need the editor to use the Helix.

But you will find it just more comfortable to build patches with the editor.  The editor is just an application - the only thing that is important is that you must use the same version of editor as the Helix firmware - for the obvious reason that with different effects, amps and options with each update, the editor needs to address those differences.  

I'd always install the editor after the Firmware to avoid user error - remember- the Editor must match the Firmware version.

Finally, you need the up to date manual - I believe this is it (almost up to date!!)

http://line6.com/data/6/0a0643892850577d59b6033d6/application/pdf/Helix%202.0%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20Rev%20C%20-%20English%20.pdf

Delete any other line 6 software downloads you have floating around - you don't want to accidently use anything wrong!!

You go here to get the updater and  firmware -  

http://line6.com/software/

For the updater - in the selection boxes you select Helix - Line 6 Updater - your OS  You want version 1.10

Install the updater.

For the firmware you select Helix - All Software - Mac OS X (or whatever OS you use)

On this page (just to start the confusion) the first download offered is the 2.10 Editor.  You will need that, so you can download it now if you like, but first you need the firmware installed to be able to use the editor. 

You scroll down to the next page to find the firmware.  The download button is in the bottom right of the page.

Follow the instructions precisely (Print them or screen grab before moving on). Make sure you do all the restarts

Your Helix should now be working fine as a v2.10 with all new factory presets and all the user setlists empty.

A clean slate (but right up to date)

After installing the firmware, you can install the editor - The instructions for both assume you want to backup settings, I'm assuming that is a waste of time for you.

Now I just contradicted 'silverhead' - I don't believe you actually even need the editor to use the Helix.

Potential problem with this is that if you do, indeed, start with 'delete any other Line 6 software you have floating around'...... presumably that includes the driver. And without the driver you can't use the updater. That's why you should start by downloading the editor installer file. You're right that you don't actually need the editor to use Helix, but you do need to make sure you have the latest (and compatible) versions of Line 6 Updater and driver. How are you sure that you get the right versions of those? The editor installer file. That's where to start. You don't nee to see, download, or install the firmware separately. The Updater program will do that.

Personally, especially since you're new to Helix, I'd install 2.01 instead of 2.10, 2.10 is significantly, broken, at least for some people, and basically 2.0.1 isn't. You won't have the 3 newest amps, but you also won't have to research the 3 (I think) known bugs in 2.10 and their partial workarounds. It'll just be a less confusing experience. I'd be very surprised if a bugfix successor to 2.10 didn't appear some time soon, so you're not giving up on it, just waiting until the dust settles.

This is an unusual situation, first time a release has had this degree of problems since I got mine back in April.

Let me just jump in one more time.

Silverhead - you say - 

"Potential problem with this is that if you do, indeed, start with 'delete any other Line 6 software you have floating around'...... presumably that includes the driver. And without the driver you can't use the updater."

The reason I'm going the other way is this guy is already up to his neck in problems - we don't know where they are coming from - what versions of what are running - obviously not the right ones - either that or his Helix is faulty and I'd say that's the least likely answer.

So the first thing I would do is get rid of anything that could cause a mistake.

Then the very next thing I do is get him to download and install the correct updater - and he can do that without installing anything else.

So I'm trying to make sure it's as clean an install as possible.

To me reading that he is having problems - this approach is the safest?

One problem here is neither of us is right or wrong - we could both be right depending on the user and his computer skills.

This is why I'm campaigning for Line 6 to create a better updater. 

We are sprouting a lot of information that a new user cannot be expected to know.

The comment by zooey is interesting - 2.01 seems to be the most stable recent version - and then he'd need updater 1.09 if my memory serves me correctly - but I have no idea if updater 1.10 will also correctly install 2.01?  Does anyone know?  Just curious.............

I'd still install 2.10 personally.  I'm yet to be convinced that there is much in 2.10 that is a deal breaker - mind you I'm still waiting for downtime before doing that myself.

Zooey is 100% on, as usual. Youre not missing THAT much by waiting a week or two to install 2.10. Youll have PLENTY to keep you busy in 2.01. Just go with that for now.  Anyway good luck, you've come to the right place for help. If you cant already tell.

Okay guys thanks for all this info, I really do appreciate it.

I spent hours last night trying to get the unit working as the lcd screen had gone bananas. I managed to get it into safe mode and reapply the 2.00.0 update and it's working again thank God. On my pc I have the updater installed and the helix app version 2.10. It won't connect to helix because it knows the firmware is out of date.

I have noticed that the line 6 website it very slow on this pc sometimes it doesn't load at all and I'm wondering if this is part of the issue.

Basically now I've got the helix up and working I'm afraid to try any further update! It's the floor model by the way.

What do you guys think the best way to proceed now is?

yeah, the download is at the bottom of the instructions but it isn't in an obvious place. Also to the opening poster- try downloading the firmware to your computer then using the updater to open the file (offline mode)

How do you download the firmware update to your pc then because I haven't seen an option for that

I've deleted all line 6 apps from my pc except the helix drivers. I downloaded the editor 2.10 bundled with the updater and I'm thinking of giving it another go although I am worried because the helix is at least working at the moment

Just want to confirm the original posters claim that for some:Updating from 1.06.5 directly to2.10 does indeed load the rack version of helix into the floor unit.

I had this exact problem, and seems to originate from the L6 Updater, not user error.

Just want to confirm the original posters claim that for some:Updating from 1.06.5 directly to2.10 does indeed load the rack version of helix into the floor unit.

I had this exact problem, and seems to originate from the L6 Updater, not user error.

Fortunately, I did not encounter any problems updating a brand new HELIX directly to 2.10. I also had not used the new HELIX to create, edit, nor modify any of the Presets nor Patches in the original 1.06.5 fw before doing the update.

Following the Installation Instructions worked for me.

I always recommend to update the flash memory (=firmware) offline:

You can download it seperately here (vers. 2.10)

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7263

and then use the updater application to flash that (firmware) file OFFLINE.

More stable, less confusing, I guess...

I vastly prefer doing the updates on all my tech gear this way! For decades, guided (or wizard assisted, as they used to be known) update/install methods often introduce all sorts of complications regardless of standard or custom variations of the installion routines are followed.

I cannot download the file. When I click on the link, I just get a screen that looks like programming code. The file doesn't download.

Edit-The updater shows that I have a Helix 2.10 connected but I cannot get past the screen that flashes helix and then helix rack. It's either that screen or a completely blank screen. No scribble strip text on either screen.

Thanks for this. Im going to try this method as the online download seems very unreliable. I'm up to version 2.01 now but honestly, the amount of times it has taken me to just get that far is a bad joke really.

Good to hear you finally got there to 2.01 - as Zooey says, maybe it's a good enough place to be for now.  I suspect as there are a few issues (that really don't effect a new user much) you could just wait out this batch of bugs - I expect that there will be a 2.11 shortly - that's how it went last time 2.0 and then shortly after 2.01 to fix a few simple but annoying bugs. 

Thanks for the link but it isn't working for me, I just get 'line6.com isn't responding. It's interesting because I'm trying to download this at work on my work pc and the line 6 website is still pretty poor on download connections. I thought it might just be my home pc but clearly it isn't, it's the same here. Now I'm thinking all these failed firmware upgrades are more down to the website itself.

In any case, I can't download 2.10 to my computer either!

I cannot download the file. When I click on the link, I just get a screen that looks like programming code. The file doesn't download.

Edit-The updater shows that I have a Helix 2.10 connected but I cannot get past the screen that flashes helix and then helix rack. It's either that screen or a completely blank screen. No scribble strip text on either screen.

I got this too, a page of junk, no downloaded file, followed by website not responding after further attempts.

Why is dealing with Line 6 gear so frustrating? I should know better after owning a vetta 2, spider 3, DT50 and HD500, now Helix, and yet we're still

messing about trying to get simple operations to work properly.

Good to hear you finally got there to 2.01 - as Zooey says, maybe it's a good enough place to be for now.  I suspect as there are a few issues (that really don't effect a new user much) you could just wait out this batch of bugs - I expect that there will be a 2.11 shortly - that's how it went last time 2.0 and then shortly after 2.01 to fix a few simple but annoying bugs. 

I agree, I'll probably stick to 2.01 - I've nearly launched the unit out of the window on several occasions just getting this far though..unless I can get that offline 2.10 file to work somehow but that seems just as glitch trying to download that as it does doing the update.

My worry is that I'll have this all over again on the next firmware release. I wonder if this is the reason quite a few of these units are being sold on now?

My worry is that I'll have this all over again on the next firmware release.

I sincerely hope not.

I wonder if this is the reason quite a few of these units are being sold on now?

Really doubt it, probably would have heard about it here. More likely people are just settling into their purchases and deciding it's not for them for one reason or another. It happens with any gear, modeling or not.

Upgrade hassles aside, it's a great unit on so many levels. Hope you can see fit to see it through, I think you'll dig it!

Okay guys thanks for all this info, I really do appreciate it.

I spent hours last night trying to get the unit working as the lcd screen had gone bananas. I managed to get it into safe mode and reapply the 2.00.0 update and it's working again thank God. On my pc I have the updater installed and the helix app version 2.10. It won't connect to helix because it knows the firmware is out of date.

I have noticed that the line 6 website it very slow on this pc sometimes it doesn't load at all and I'm wondering if this is part of the issue.

Basically now I've got the helix up and working I'm afraid to try any further update! It's the floor model by the way.

What do you guys think the best way to proceed now is?

How did you finally get your helix to boot into safe mode? I've tried every combination I can think of and can't get it past the flashing Helix/Helix Rack logo. I have opened a support ticket, but because of the holidays I haven't received any reply.

How did you finally get your helix to boot into safe mode? I've tried every combination I can think of and can't get it past the flashing Helix/Helix Rack logo. I have opened a support ticket, but because of the holidays I haven't received any reply.

Sounds like you already tried this but did you try restarting while holding the 6&12 footswitches (safe boot) or were you looking for a different combination of actions that allowed the safe boot to work?

Sounds like you already tried this but did you try restarting while holding the 6&12 footswitches (safe boot) or were you looking for a different combination of actions that allowed the safe boot to work?

Yes, I tried the safe boot 6&12 combination along with all of the other possible combinations listed by Line 6. Also tried to revert back to a previous version, but no luck. I think my helix is hopelessly bricked so I submitted a trouble ticket. 

Yep as already stated, it was safe boot mode that eventually put it back in to update mode, switch 6&12 I think.

Over the last couple of days I have thought several times mine was bricked and that I would need a support ticket but in the end it was a case of switching the unit off and leave it a while then keep trying. A lot of times it didn't clear the LED screen, but I kept just trying to reset globals then safe mode until something finally worked. I even went back to the first firmware download at one point and that got it going also at one point.

It's so glitchy it's untrue. I loved the demos of the Helix but had I known what this was going to be like, I would have gone with a competitor unit because this just isn't acceptable. Even after I get this fully up and running I think I'll call it quits with Line 6 and finally learn my lesson. Don't mean to sound negative but it shouldn't be this traumatic just to apply an update.

Bearing in mind the link to download the firmware to the pc didn't work in this thread, does anyone know a way to actually do this?

How come there's no option to do that on the website...is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Nope. Nothing hidden.

The Link still works fine here - anyway:

Go to Line6 software

http://line6.com/software

and search for Helix, flash memory and your OS.

There you'll find all firmwares released so far -

you need only Helix v2.10.0

(Released 11/22/16)

Thanks for this, yes just seen it listed, didn't realise it was there under flash memory.

Got excited and attempted to download it but guess what...just a page of gobbledygook again and no download!

I've selected windows 10 as the OS, I'm on a windows 10 pc...what else can I do? Something isn't working here, I'm not the only one either who has had this while trying to get a firmware download onto a pc.

I suppose there's no way anyone could attach the firmware file to a post or message on here that I could try and download?

Thanks guys

Thanks for this, yes just seen it listed, didn't realise it was there under flash memory.

Got excited and attempted to download it but guess what...just a page of gobbledygook again and no download!

I've selected windows 10 as the OS, I'm on a windows 10 pc...what else can I do? Something isn't working here, I'm not the only one either who has had this while trying to get a firmware download onto a pc.

I suppose there's no way anyone could attach the firmware file to a post or message on here that I could try and download?

Thanks guys

Right after the Known Issues section, are you not seeing the "Get Download" button on the lower right hand side?!?

Oh ok.  I was already logged into my Line 6 account so it bascially took me right to the download.

I'm gonna wait a week or so though before I worry about updating...seems to be too many issues that I just don't want to deal with...I'll wait a bit til stuff gets worked out properly.  Amazing that the same company that made such a killer product in the Helix jacks up the updates.