Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp vs Amp Pre?

fobsternd

Simple explanation:

Pre - this models only the PreAmp portion of the amplifier.

Otherwise the entire amplifier is modeled, both Pre and Power amp portions.

Typically the Pre versions are slightly brighter or have more distortion when the gain is turned up.

See this if you want to see the frequency response and distortion differences between Full and pre-amps. Some pres have more gain, some less. Some are brighter and some are darker. Some are louder and some are quieter. Basically, if you just treat them as another sound palette then you'll be fine.

Very simplistic explanation of a PreAmp:

Two parts to a guitar amp are a PreAmp and PowerAmp.

A PreAmp is an amplifier that's designed to take a very low signal level such as a guitar and boosts up the voltage for what a PowerAmp expects.

A PowerAmp is a normal amplifier but it can't deal with the very low signal that comes out of your guitar.

Both of these Amps can color your sound.  A PreAmp usually colors it more than the PowerAmp which (I'm guessing) is why Line6 allowed us to have the option to use it separately.  But like pianoguyy said "Use your ears".  Whatever sounds best is right.  Doesn't matter if Line6 called it a Widget or Widget-Pre.

• Upvote 1

I don't know, but the preamp and poweramp versions of any amp sound the same to me.

You must be very new at this. All I can say is eventually they won't. Theoretically you should use the preamps when going into the power amp of a guitar amp. And the "full" amp into an FRFR. But I have found that using the preamps only in a FRFR (with different cabs and mics) give you even more sound options. As pianoguy pointed out, if it sounds good, it is good. Don't sweat the "theoretical".

Well let's take this back one notch to Per-Amps Vs Full Amp Models. Depending on your ears you might choose one way or the other to run to a power amp/cab (FRFR is another ball game which IMO is full models only).

The HD's pre-amp models are taking the place of what ever your amp's control's (gain, Eq, etc) are coloring the sound with and yet allows for your power amp to crank it through the cab and speakers you have (for lack of a better term) to EQ/color the sound to a desirable tone.

Running the Full Amp models also uses the HD's built in IR's to replicate the different mic/cab/speaker combos to widen the tonal variety beyond what your set/fixed speakers/cab can do. Additional coloring on top of what your cab/speakers are doing.

So both are similar in what the power amp is doing - making things loud but how the tones are heard will be different depending on the output mode.

I use a Tech21 Power Engine 60. Its a power amp only combo and for me it Studio Direct all day - love it. Some others prefer the Pre-amps only but there is a tonal difference. Fool around with the output modes and you will hear a difference. Its a win-win with the versatility that is in the HD.

The above is also a good example of why tones will vary from rig to rig.

I route the output from the POD into a mixer. From the mixer I can listen to my guitar from either earphones (cheap $5 earbuds from Monoprice) or my computer speakers (Logitech desktop speakers). Yes yes I know, I should probably get a pair of Rokits or something.

I use this configuration with a power amp, and would recommend full amp (no cab set)

Full seems lightly darker (but it's subtle) and this can be eq , but add some interesting parameter like sag aka compression, master aka more distortion or less

Using  Pre version seems to me more hissy with the plastic shrill in mid high

Just my thoughts