Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones, beware..

tommasoferrarese

For those of you who find it difficult to create their sound listening to headphones and find it different while connected to an FRFR setup, I just discovered something which I wasn't aware of (dumb me!!!!). If your output is set to 'multi', and headphone monitoring global setting is set as default, you're monitoring your signal twice, through headphones.

If you select XLR or 1/4" out, you can notice your volume drops considerably down..

Keep this in mind while editing your tones through cans!!!!

• Upvote 1

Not sure this is the case. I tested this and there was no volume drop. I think there may have been something else at play to cause this.

Might be wrong but I can't see that Line 6 would have a global headphone setting of multi doubling your output. You would want multi to be the setting for general use as there are a great many routing options beyond xlr and 1/4".

I hear a headphone level drop when I change the mode of the Output Block from Multi to either 1/4" or XLR. But I hear no change in level when I change the global setting for headphones monitor from Multi to 1/4" to XLR. Not sure how to interpret that.

Not sure this is the case. I tested this and there was no volume drop. I think there may have been something else at play to cause this.

Might be wrong but I can't see that Line 6 would have a global headphone setting of multi doubling your output. You would want multi to be the setting for general use as there are a great many routing options beyond xlr and 1/4".

Same here "steevo1977", no change when I tested this, although as "silverhead" notes it's there if you switch the mode of the Output Block. You will get a significant shift in volume if you should be crazy enough to swap between Line and Mic level when sending to your monitor system over XLR or 1/4" Jacks. Cannot hear any changes in the cans.

Another important point, apparently Helix isn't too kind to low impedance headphones, either.  I have a pair of Shure 840's which are 44 ohm impedance, and the signal always sounds digitally clipped to me, and I haven't been able to use my headphones with Helix, Multi/XLR change or not.  I haven't tried a different set of headphones with higher impedance yet, but I've heard it is sensitive to impedance. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the two short weeks I've had my new Helix, I have used Sony MDR-V6 headphones (63 Ohms, 106 dB/mW Sensitivity) and Shure SE530 IEMs (36 Ohms, 119 dB/mW Sensitivity) straight from Helix's headphone jack. Both sound exceptional without any overload nor distortion.

I'm great as well, with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO and DT 990 PRO, thankyou. And I'm ok with creating my tones checking them on various kind of Phones, IEM, Studio monitors and PAs. I just noticed this bug and wanted to help those who are finding it difficult to make their tones while on headphones. ;)