Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good Iidea To Feed Pod Hd Output Into Spider's Line Input?

superbrown

I play guitar at home as a hohby. I have an old Spider III 30 watt amp and am looking at options for upgrading my sound.

Would there be any drawbacks (such as fidelity) to feeding the output of a POD HD into the line input (CD/MP3) in the front of my Spider, which I assume is designed to be uncolored, which is what I'd want? Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

I had a Spider Jam for a while, and found that plugging the POD into the CD/MP3 input with the POD in Studio Direct mode sounded best with that amp. You are basically bypassing the amp modelling in the amp and just using the POD that way.

Some of the later Spider amps have a way to disable the amp modelling when you power on the amp, so you can plug the POD into the amp input, but I can't remember how. 

• Upvote 1

As a follow-up question, if you do run the POD directly into a Spider with its modeling disabled, can you get any benefit from using the cabinet emulators, or are they pretty useless in that scenario? (I realize they're intended for a flat response amp.)