Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 is removing computer noise - how?

PSutherland91

Hi all,

My Behringer UM2 interface is causing oscillating noise when running a Linux jack server. This noise gets eliminated by my M5 if I place the M5 between the interface and the amp. My question is, what does the DSP bypass mode have the signal run through? Is it just a buffer, or a buffer with ad-da signal conversion, or otherwise? I need to get a small pedal to fill the M5's noise removal role, but I don't know what I need to look for. Some other brands of pedals aren't this amazing at removing the computer noise.

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. the M5 is awesome. I use it with an an EHX 8-Step to great effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the sticky, saying that response takes a while because the team works through it, so to clarify my question: all I want to know is what the DSP signal chain is, so I can isolate what's reducing the noise. Or even just an internal circuit diagram that I could show to someone who could tell me. Thanks. I'm hoping to get my board complete for the new year, and this is an important stage.

It's not the gate is it.? The noise is still there but the gate is gate'ing it out perhaps. (The one in the "setup" page, not the gate effect....is there a gate effect? dunno,can't remember. anyway,not that one if there is.)

Thanks for your input. It manages to remove the noise with DSP Bypass mode but not True Bypass mode, so I reckon it's the DSP bypass only. I can't find any information about that anywhere. I can't see a noise gate in the setup. And yeah, I'm not using the dedicated noise gate effect (under Distortion, I think).

I want to get a really small, really cheap pedal to do what the DSP Bypass mode is doing. I don't want to get another Line 6 M5, just because I don't see the point in getting something with so many features that I don't really need. For example, maybe the Mooer Lofi Machine would do the same noise removal as the M5 if always on with dry output only? To know this for sure before I buy one I'd need to know what DSP Bypass mode is.

The gate is in the additional setup, page two. Where the Midi and the tempo settings are. It's a global setting that isn't changed when you change patches so that might be why it only goes off when True bypass mode is used. The thinking being that people would want it on all the time if their guitar was picking up noise, But if people want true bypass then that's when everything gets turned off,buffers,gates the lot.

If it's not that then I dunno.

The gate is in the additional setup, page two. Where the Midi and the tempo settings are. It's a global setting that isn't changed when you change patches so that might be why it only goes off when True bypass mode is used. The thinking being that people would want it on all the time if their guitar was picking up noise, But if people want true bypass then that's when everything gets turned off,buffers,gates the lot.

If it's not that then I dunno.

Oh I missed that! Hmm. Will have to see if turning the gate off and keeping DSP on still removes noise. I wish I could just test a noise gate but I don't have one on me.  

If it's not the noise gate ...

I posted a more detailed description of the overall problem on a Facebook forum and someone (who's spent a lot of time looking into my setup) thinks it might be that the Line 6 uses an isolation transformer. Could it be possible? Does it use one? If so, it seems like this could solve my issues, outputted from my audio interface (interface is acting like a pedal). https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-System-Isolator-Electric-reducer/dp/B002YGM5D8

If it's a ground-loop problem causing the noise (which it probably is) Then it sounds like you need a D.I. Box (Direct injection) with a "ground lift"

What you could do, is go to your local guitar store and describe your problem and say you want to buy a D.I. box that has a ground-lift switch on it.But your not sure if that will cure the problem so you want to be able to bring it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

I've only got a hazy understanding of ground loops and D.I. boxes, but I've got a ground lift switch on my sound card which makes noise go away.

Have a read of this wiki article, It explains it better than i can. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

It sounds like what I linked to does the same. I just tested it out finally and the noise gate isn't doing it, it's just the DSP bypass, so I will try this out. Thanks.

In case anyone who knows sees before I purchase/try one though: does the M5 use an isolation transformer? That's one rationale for me substituting the ground loop isolator for it.