Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Relay G10 - Stop battery running down when placed in base unit (Not plugged into power supply)

coffeeking

Hi Guys

The best place to keep the transmitter when not plugged into your guitar is clearly in the base unit, otherwise its just going to go missing, but by storing it in the base unit from gig to gig (Say one weekend to the next) the transmitter loses its power.

Any chance of a firmeware update to sort this issue?

All it has to say is, if transmitter is placed in the base but there is no power signal, switch off transmitter.

Cheers

The same power drain is occurring with the new USB Charging cable.

If a firmware release were able to overcome the physical fact that the Transmitter's Ring and Tip remain connected to the circuitry and the collar switch remains depressed (after reaching full charge status) this would be very handy.

Have you tried backing out the transmitter just slightly (after reaching full charge) so that the collar switch is released, while keeping the transmitter inserted in the charger jack? Not sure if this will help as I have not tried it.

After four minutes it shuts off.

Hi Santosgera

Sorry but this is not what we're talking about. Try leaving your transmitter in the base unit without it being plugged into the mains supply to charge it and you'll see what we mean.

The transmitter discharges when left in the base unit if there is no mains supply.

Pulling out the G10T transmitter just slightly (after reaching full charge) so that the collar switch is released, while keeping the transmitter inserted in the charger jack (with the power turned off) does avoid the faster battery drain of leaving the G10T fully inserted in the charger jack!

I've wondered about this topic as well - not only from the aspect of the docked transmitter battery draining while base not powered on, but also about just the opposite.  Is it bad to leave the transmitter plugged in for long periods of time while the unit 'IS' powered on?  I've always thought it was bad for batteries (like laptops, notepads, phones, etc.) to leave them plugged into charger for long periods of time without allowing full drain in between.  Doing so causes battery to lose it's ability to hold charge as long as it's supposed to.  Am I correct in assuming that if the transmitter goes into sleep mode after 4 minutes that the base and charge does also?

I've wondered about this topic as well - not only from the aspect of the docked transmitter battery draining while base not powered on, but also about just the opposite.  Is it bad to leave the transmitter plugged in for long periods of time while the unit 'IS' powered on?  I've always thought it was bad for batteries (like laptops, notepads, phones, etc.) to leave them plugged into charger for long periods of time without allowing full drain in between.  Doing so causes battery to lose it's ability to hold charge as long as it's supposed to.  Am I correct in assuming that if the transmitter goes into sleep mode after 4 minutes that the base and charge does also?

I'd like to know about this too....

In practical use a Lithium rechargeable battery system provides far greater performance benefits than NiMh or NiCd chemistry.

Partial recharging or topping off does not degrade Li-Ion voltage capacity. The Memory Effect plauging NiCd and to a lesser extent NiMH chemestries is almost nonexistent with Li-Ion.

The voltage level remains more constant during the battery's power drain.

Recharge cycles may be segmented with degrading overall Full Charge Cycles potential.

I do not know what Line 6's firmware is designed to do when the charger remains energized after the transmitter has reached full charge status. My expectation is that the charging ceases when the Transmitter reaches Full Charge (Steady Green LED) status. I do see that the latest firmware always applies a top charge cycle of a few short minutes each and every time a fully charged transmitter is inserted into an energized charger base or into the accessory USB charge cord.

As the battery is rated between 300 and 500 Full charge cycles, this should provide plenty of use from the G10T without concern that you may leave your's fully inserted in a energized charger base.

Pulling out the G10T transmitter just slightly (after reaching full charge) so that the collar switch is released, while keeping the transmitter inserted in the charger jack (with the power turned off) does avoid the faster battery drain of leaving the G10T fully inserted in the charger jack!

This works perfectly and it still holds the transmitter in place in the dock even if you turn it upside down.

This should be in the manual.

The only issue is that a lot of pedal boards arnt tall enough to hold the dock with transmitter sitting in it (Clearly the best place to keep it so you dont lose it) which is

unfortunate.

Thanks MusicLaw

Yeah, it would be a handy tip for the very brief Pilot Guide/User Manual.

Although it is another cord to keep track of, the accessory USB charging cable also grips the Transmitter's plug when the G10T is partially removed. It can make the G10T a bit easier to find in a midst of cables. Otherwise, stash the G10T in a small pouch, zip lock bag, or in a large pharmacy pill bottle.

• 5 months later...

In Sleep mode when the transmitter is inserted in either the base or a guitar's output jack, the transmitter must be on so that it can wake up. Because if you strum the strings, the transmitter wakes up. I had to charge my transmitter every couple of days, just to make sure that when I wanted to use it I had sufficient charge. Nothing is worse than plugging in just to realize that the charge is full grained. 

I just tried to leave the transmitter half plugged into the base, so I hope it will hold that charge fully, for the 200 stand by hours. 

Version 2 should have an on/off switch. Other than this issue, I love not having to run a cable to my pedal board. Nothing better than being able to play on the 1st floor with my rig in the basement. Surprises the hell out of everyone.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

When left fully inserted in a guitar, such that the G10 Transmitter's micro-switch remains depressed -- the G10 Transmitter will either: a) remain in Transmit Mode (for up to 8 hrs rated Transmit battery life), or, b) after 4 minutes of no signal from the pickups switch to Standby Mode (for up to 200 hrs rated Standby battery life). Note: If the guitar's Volume Pot is not turned down fully it is quite possible for a Strat's single coil pickups to generate signal from ambient RFI or sympathetic string vibrations from other sound sources which will prevent the G10 from ever going into Standby Mode. YMMV. 

• 7 months later...

On 5/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, davidmorisset said:

(Version 2 should have an on/off switch. Other than this issue, I love not having to run a cable to my pedal board. Nothing better than being able to play on the 1st floor with my rig in the basement. Surprises the hell out of everyone.)

I've been using the partial plug-in method (or just laying it aside) since I've had mine.  It's my (limited) understanding of electronics in general, that if the plug is inserted into the guitar, base (whatever} to the point that the tip/ring circuit is completed - that the battery is going to drain/bleed slowly and no on/off switch, firmware, or anything else is going to change that unless the switch is not on the base but on the plug itself.  Said plug would need to actually/physically break the circuit and not just stop a communication signal from being transferred as it already does with a 4 minute timer.  There's a BIG difference.  But as I said, my understanding of electronics is limited so please correct me if I'm wrong. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2018 at 5:11 AM, losbotaos said:

My G10 looses charge in like two minutes after charging for a couple hours, it even displays the green light on the transmitter. But like i said as soon as i plug the transmitter into the guitar the charge last for around a couple of minutes.

mine also does this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1 year later...