Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

96 members have voted

1. 1. JTV or Variax 700?

• Variax 700
    • JTV

I have a beautiful black 700 that I used/use in the studio ALL the time. I love the look, the feel and the performance. Probably the best feeling instrument I've owned. And the models are all pretty good. The acoustics are definitely better on the JTV. 

My JTV 69s has a great feeling neck and tremolo system, but there's a lot I really Don't like about it.

I can't play with 9 gauge strings anymore (too squirrely) - and even with 10's the high E pops out of the string nut. It also tends to roll off the neck when doing high E bends. 

I don't like the position of the volume knob - I'm always bangin into it.

Hate the headstock look, but whatever. I happened to love the look of no pickups on the 700.

Absolutely hate the fact that if you take all the strings off at once the bridge and tremolo block pops violently off the bridge posts and causes the tremolo block (which has the piezo pcb mounted on it) to smash into the wood of the guitar.  I just got it back from repair for that very reason. While it was out, I just plugged in the 700 and did my live shows without missing the 69 at all. 

Oh and the factory installed jtv flash v2.1 - but I am rolling back to v1.9 - the strat sounded soooo wimpy with no sustain and the volume control is now "tapered" which sucks for volume swells, which is a big part of my trick set. 

• Upvote 2

I have a beautiful black 700 that I used/use in the studio ALL the time. I love the look, the feel and the performance. Probably the best feeling instrument I've owned. And the models are all pretty good. The acoustics are definitely better on the JTV. 

My JTV 69s has a great feeling neck and tremolo system, but there's a lot I really Don't like about it.

I can't play with 9 gauge strings anymore (too squirrely) - and even with 10's the high E pops out of the string nut. It also tends to roll off the neck when doing high E bends. 

I don't like the position of the volume knob - I'm always bangin into it.

Hate the headstock look, but whatever. I happened to love the look of no pickups on the 700.

Absolutely hate the fact that if you take all the strings off at once the bridge and tremolo block pops violently off the bridge posts and causes the tremolo block (which has the piezo pcb mounted on it) to smash into the wood of the guitar.  I just got it back from repair for that very reason. While it was out, I just plugged in the 700 and did my live shows without missing the 69 at all. 

Oh and the factory installed jtv flash v2.1 - but I am rolling back to v1.9 - the strat sounded soooo wimpy with no sustain and the volume control is now "tapered" which sucks for volume swells, which is a big part of my trick set. 

Ouch. I did think the volume knob looked way too close to the strings, I already have some problems hitting my volume on my 600 and lowering the volume on accident.

I totally agree about the headstock.

The high e slippage thing sounds like a pain, and that trem block issue sounds awful.

For a guy who is an acclaimed luthier guitar designer, he sure has a lot of problems with his guitar. Made me want to get a 59 over a 69, I mean I don't have an LP style guitar yet so why not, but I love fender-esque guitars a lot.

I've heard they fixed design issues in later versions but it seems like it still causes problems.

Like I said though, that alt tune knob is a hell of a deal breaker. I need that feature really badly because I don't like wasting banks for duplicates of guitars I already have on the Variax that is just simply a different tuning. I literally have 2 banks filled with Les Pauls tuned to C standard and Drop A# for playing In Flames, and while that is what I put on top priority, I still want more at my disposal.

• Upvote 1

BucF16, by the way, what graphteck nut you order? I like to replace mine too. Also I would like to order some gold sperzel tuner keys, witch one to order?

Wish I could remember.  It was quite a while ago and it was the one my guitar tech thought would be best, so I didn't really question or shop around.  I just wrote him a check and did what he said.

My favorite is the 600. I also have a 500 (least fav body style) a 300, 700 and a couple of 700 acoustics. I play and work on these a lot for people so I tend to keep an "example" of each around. When the JTVs came out of coarse i thought they'd be the cat's meow. Got hold of the 69 and the 89 hard tail. Shortly after let go of both. mostly due to the sounds of the new models but also the "appeal". I know this is all relative to personal taste, but why the pickups if you already have the model ? I guess i just like the simple clean looks of the older models, also to this day gets lots of questions. No problems with any older model staying in tune, make the right adjustments, a little nut sauce on the bridge and locking tuners-whammy to your hearts content. As far as the sound, added graphtech piezos. I was able to do an apple to apple comparison and the graphtecs vastly improved the overall performance on my 600, getting ready to change out the 700 electric a little later. Just my opinion. As far as the JTV series-the street price drop should tell you something.  Not complaining, Line 6 is a great innovator and my go to rigs.

• Upvote 2

My favorite is the 600. I also have a 500 (least fav body style) a 300, 700 and a couple of 700 acoustics. I play and work on these a lot for people so I tend to keep an "example" of each around. When the JTVs came out of coarse i thought they'd be the cat's meow. Got hold of the 69 and the 89 hard tail. Shortly after let go of both. mostly due to the sounds of the new models but also the "appeal". I know this is all relative to personal taste, but why the pickups if you already have the model ? I guess i just like the simple clean looks of the older models, also to this day gets lots of questions. No problems with any older model staying in tune, make the right adjustments, a little nut sauce on the bridge and locking tuners-whammy to your hearts content. As far as the sound, added graphtech piezos. I was able to do an apple to apple comparison and the graphtecs vastly improved the overall performance on my 600, getting ready to change out the 700 electric a little later. Just my opinion. As far as the JTV series-the street price drop should tell you something.  Not complaining, Line 6 is a great innovator and my go to rigs.

I have a 600. I'm having awful tuning problems to the point of not being able to use it at all. Can you do both trem action and string bends and keep in tune? That's the biggest issue I have, the other being that the strings can go flat after using a trem.

I'm considering switching the nut to a graphtech someday later, would that help?

Clay-man, as Charlie-Watt says If you've done the locking tuners, nut sauce, checked your intonation and sdjusted the springs, you SHOULD not have any problems. I, without exaggerating, can trem down till the strings are pretty loose and still be stable.  You can also look into a Trem-lock system that returns the bridge back to a fixed position-works really well, have used them before, except I am stable enough not to need one.  I have my bridge adjustment set as follows. The 2 bridge height srews are completely down into the body  as far as they will go for stability-even if you have to adjust the neck position with shims to get the right playability on string height) The individual string height adjustments on the bridge are kept as close as possible to the bridge plate (same reason). I adjust the 3 springs tension to keep the bridge plate parrallel to the body. that leaves me with about a half step up and full down trem action. The idea is to keep and physical movement of potentially moving parts to a minimum, especially the string height screws. Should do the trick. Let me know if any of this helps.  Same thing for the 600. Never used a graphtec nut, but have heard good things about them and if they are anything like the piezo's, they should be very nice.  Bob

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I only have the 500.  It is the only Variax made lefty.  I bought when it first came out.  Never had any problems with it.  It stays in tune and the neck is comfortable.  The electric models are very convincing to my ears. I have a very noisy house even my humbuckers pickup hum, but not my variax. It is so dead quiet.  If they ever release another lefty Variax, I will be ordering on day one as I did with my 500.

As for looks, I don't mind the lack of pickups.  I won't use them.  I have plenty of guitars with high quality pickups that I could use if I wanted real pickups. I do dislike the strat body, gibson style headstock combo.  But the guitar is light and the neck is comfortable and tones are sweet.   

Ok -- don't have the 700, I have the lowly 300 (since 2005), plus the JTV-59 (2011), and JTV69S (2012). I can say without hesitation the JTV's are better guitars for me. The modeling is good in the generation 1 Vax's, and very good in the JTV's -- up through the versions, got better IMO. The control and tuning options make it much better (again for my use) than the 1st gen. Also, in my 2 JTV's the construction, fit & finish was a vast improvement over my 300. I know that opinions vary and have heard the horror stories of the physical problems on the various JTV's for some folks - I've not had those same experiences.

Then of course having magnetic pickups to me was a huge feature - use them 80 - 90% of the time. When I was gigging the 300, I came to taking along a very good Epi LP, and an Ovation acoustic/electric. I ended up having the Vax as the sound for specialty songs that needed odd tunings I had to set up as special patch models, so would switch over to it for those. Once I got the JTV-59 dialed in, I quit needing to take the Ovation, and the LP ended up sitting in the emergency backup position on the stand. Realizing if I broke a string, there were songs we could not do because of the special capabilities of the JTV were being depended on, so I got my 69S. The LP stays home, now. 

Aesthetically, the JTV's were more in my expectations of electric guitars -- never cared for the body shape of the first generation. I don't personally care for the aesthetics of the new Standard Variax model -- obviously looks like a Yamaha and I don't care for the looks of Yamaha's. No rational reasons, just don't care for it.... If I had to choose only between the first gen shape and the Standard shape, I would go with the Standard, but still much prefer the 69 & 59 shapes. The 89 shape is basically a sharper angled 69 shape and has a different neck, body contours, and pickup configuration. I think having the options for different tastes is good. Hope they don't discontinue the JTV's....

My opinions are only worth something to me.....

Dave

I've had the 600 for 2 years and the JTV 69 this year.

I honestly haven't touched my 600 besides a few times for a nostalgia trip. There are a few things I like about the 600, like the twangyness of the telecaster, and the wider fret edges on the E strings, but I still strongly prefer my JTV over the 600.

Overall I like HD over the old firmware, I love the tuning knob and being able to program a tuning straight on the guitar without hooking it up on the computer. I love being able to switch the models without the tuning changing as well.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I finally have both a black 700 and a blue JTV 69.  I still like the feel of playing the 700 much better and the build quality (Japan vs Korea) seems better.  The JTV has the edge with the HD models which to my ear sound slightly more refined. But the 700 is a more comfortable guitar for me to play.  I love the mahogany body and the feel of the neck.  Also, neither of my guitars have any of the issues with staying in tune, E string falling off, tremolo.  Both are solid guitars.  The JTV does work more seamless with my 500X and DT25 head and combo, although I like the 700 through my Blues JR and Mark V better than I do the JTV.  So my answer is you need both!

I finally have both a black 700 and a blue JTV 69.  I still like the feel of playing the 700 much better and the build quality (Japan vs Korea) seems better.  The JTV has the edge with the HD models which to my ear sound slightly more refined. But the 700 is a more comfortable guitar for me to play.  I love the mahogany body and the feel of the neck.  Also, neither of my guitars have any of the issues with staying in tune, E string falling off, tremolo.  Both are solid guitars.  The JTV does work more seamless with my 500X and DT25 head and combo, although I like the 700 through my Blues JR and Mark V better than I do the JTV.  So my answer is you need both!

Maybe replace the neck if you 

1) neck is a big contributor to judgement of playability/feel

2) don't care about warranty 

I haven't touched my 600 for the longest time, but I do like the neck slightly better. I just kind of got used to the JTV, but ultimately it's still kind of annoying playing anything complex on the low E string because it's too damn close to the edge in my opinion.

The JTV's sound stomps the 600's out by a longshot though. The only thing I miss is my twangy tele preset on my 600, but other than that, the attack on the 600 is just too unrealistic with the JTV around. 

There's annoying quacky noises when hitting the strings hard on the 600 that aren't akin to a real guitar. It's not like the plink noise people complain about, but has this tonality that I can't get out of any of my other guitars.

The JTV doesn't have that problem and the dynamics of picking sound just like a real guitar.

I actually never played an older Variax, but I loved the no pickup look....

But as for try guitars, I love the look of my jtv 69....

The body is strat like, but changed just enough to make it distinct and original...

I also am surprised that I love the pickups!!!

My ESP has a SD Custom in the lead and noiseless SD stacked single coils in the mid and neck....

I love those, and yet I like the sound and response out of the JTVs that I won't change them

Tone and overall sound of the models: Older Variax.

Like I've said, the old Variax has this weird quacking sound on the attack of hitting the strings hard, which instantly ruins it when the JTV doesn't have this issue.

I don't know if all old Variaxes have this problem, but I think it's that "wolf tone clank" thing that comes from piezos.

As for 1.9 vs HD, I can see how some people prefer 1.9, but hitting the strings hard and getting this quacky sound, that no real guitar produces, just ruins it for me.

No offense.

there's absolutely NOTHING better about the older variax.... NOTHING....

there may simply be some things that some prefer.... but that doesn't make them better....

everything about the JTV's are better by design.

you can have and keep your preferences... but make no mistake....

• Upvote 1

there may simply be some things that some prefer.... but that doesn't make them better....

I get the debate with 1.9 vs HD as some may prefer one tone over the other, but the JTV has superior features.

Dividing Alt Tuning from modeling on the JTV made changing the possibilities of your sound more vast. It's a serious pro of the JTV. 

The fact you can even choose between the old modeling and the new one is huge as well. You got 2 options of how your guitar will sound, for FREE. 

And like I said, the piezos on the JTV are 10000 times better than the ones on the old Variaxes and give the attack sound much more natural sounding.

I will admit, I loved my 600, but after I got the JTV, there's no turning back. The only times I pick up my 600 is for nostalgia, but other than that, it's my JTV, always.

On this I have to disagree.. I understand the preferences, but, the old variax had no delay when switching pickups or models.. Other than that, yes it is improved.

That's the software. Of which you can run either one.

The guts are newer. The newer firmware Is higher res and takes more gut power Than the older one. The older ones can't run it. So clearly the guts are better on the jtv. Sometimes it's a trade off with tech.

Is it not clearly better to pick the version you prefer? For whatever reason...

• Upvote 1

Santa dropped a 59 down the chimney yesterday and I'm totally blown away

My go to guitar is a fender telecaster with Seymour Duncan pickups

Took my 59 out the bag yesterday and it was still in tune despite the trip from Andertons to the north pole and back

First play was impressive , easily plays as well as my tele ,and the mag pickups sound awesome, haven't really played with the models all that much just yet but very impressed so far

I find it hard to believe line 6 ever made a guitar as good as this before but I haven't voted as I'm yet to try a 700

The delay/silence between changing models is extremely short that I don't even notice it. It's just a really short dropout of the sound when you switch a model, which is totally understandable because it has to load in all the data of the new model.

Like I said, I don't even notice it, unless I'm paying attention to it on purpose.

Like Zap said, you can roll back to 1.9 if you don't like the HD stuff, and 1.9 is virtually the old gen modeling.

There are some specs on my 600 I miss, like the bevels on the body, the wider neck, but I've gotten used to my 69 by now.

Like I've said, the old Variax has this weird quacking sound on the attack of hitting the strings hard, which instantly ruins it when the JTV doesn't have this issue.

My old Variax 500 had no quacking sound what so ever. My JTV89F does, particularly when used with alternate tuning. Part of this is likely because I use a 1/2 physical tuning (meaning actually tuning the strings down 1/2 steps not digital). When I have set to standard the quacking is less noticeable. 

I get the debate with 1.9 vs HD as some may prefer one tone over the other, but the JTV has superior features.

Yes I'm on 1.9 as the HD the quack is much much worse on some models (particularly the hollow bodies) and I find most of the models sound very thin sounding.  Superior features, particularly the tuning knob and build and overall way it plays. Yep love it, totally agree. Overall all my 89f is outstanding playing guitar and the only floyd that can quickly retune, although not perfect I still think it's a great guitar.

Let's be clear, this is your OPINION, not facts.

There may be things that some people prefer about the JTVs ...but that doesn't make them better.....

There are many things better about the 700. Build quality, aesthetics, playability, and overall design. Yes, the 700 was better BY DESIGN, and by Japanese hands. Much better in fact.

You can have and keep your preferences, but there is a reason the 700s were more expensive than the JTVS, and a reason they were made in Japan... make no mistake....

• Upvote 1

NO.....

you can have your preferences... but the JTV is better...

your preferences do not determine whats better.... (nor do mine.... i rather liked my old 600)

the improvements in the electronics and capabilities alone make this a fact.

that does not take away from the equal fact that older variax guitars are good as well...

and all things being what they are, made in japan guitars are known as quality instruments.... no doubt.

Let's be clear, this is your OPINION, not facts.

There may be things that some people prefer about the JTVs ...but that doesn't make them better.....

There are many things better about the 700. Build quality, aesthetics, playability, and overall design. Yes, the 700 was better BY DESIGN, and by Japanese hands. Much better in fact.

You can have and keep your preferences, but there is a reason the 700s were more expensive than the JTVS, and a reason they were made in Japan... make no mistake....

Say me a fool, but I changed my JTV for a 700 Acoustic, and I do not regret it. There is more: I kept my 700 electric with me. It's more comfortable to play, even it has some lack of features that I miss if I compared this one to the JTV. For example, you have to connect it to the computer to create alternating tunings... But the volume is higher in the old one, and more convincing, and I find the acoustic emulation far better. There are good things on both sides, but at last is a matter of personal taste, don't you agree?

If you spend a while with the two models, you'd finally find differences, and you will end up prefering one guitar or the other. In my case, I have to say that the 700 is a well-made guitar, comfortable and with a good sound. For me, the JTV has two good pickups, the buttons are perfect as they are, but the emulations... dull for my ears.

• Upvote 1

NO.....

you can have your preferences... but the JTV is better...

your preferences do not determine whats better.... (nor do mine.... i rather liked my old 600)

the improvements in the electronics and capabilities alone make this a fact.

that does not take away from the equal fact that older variax guitars are good as well...

and all things being what they are, made in japan guitars are known as quality instruments.... no doubt.

NO....

you can have your preferences... but the 700 is a higher quality instrument (instrument only, not comparing the improved electronics)....

I agree with you on the electronics of the JTV. Obviously better, but some people may prefer the sounds of the old variaxes.

But, the 600 is not the 700. I think you have not tried a 700. The 700 is a USA PRS quality guitar (not the Korean SE quality). The 600 is not in the same league as the 700. The 700 was a Japanese quality instrument. PRS aesthetic, no e-string problems, no QC problems, no horrible James Tyler headstock or Jaguar style control knob. No binding or finish blemishes (unlike my 59). You should try a 700 before you say the JTVs are better than the old variaxes. The JTV electronics is better, and the JTV build may be better than the 600 (I have not tried a 600), but it is not better than the 700 build. I have three 700s, and all are beautifully crafted instruments.

• Upvote 1

My two beauties, head to head. Time for a threesome?

DSC_0002EDITED_zps64c7a8e5.jpg

Sorry, redhead, but I still love my blonde. I hope you do not get jealous. She is not, at all.

Your 89 red wins, sorry blonde. I have an 89 red and 69 Lake placid blue. Two beauties (no blue hair old lady jokes ;) )

Jeez fella's.  I have a 700 and a JTV.  It's no comparison, as a functioning instrument, the JTV crushed it in almost every category.

The 700 was a nice instrument and I gigged with it for years.  Loved the butterscotch color and the sleek no pickup look.  Always got a lot of questions about it.

BUT, it didn't sound as good.  No alt tuning knob.  The piezo's cut out on any kind of serious trem use, no idea why they even made this with a trem.  And it had intonation issues, and until I got them finally fixed, my band called it the Vari-lollipop

JTV is DEAD stable in tuning even after a pretty good dive bomb.  Really not even close on tone. Plus the JTV's mag pickups sound great. JTV is a more pro and usable instrument.  AND it cost much less than the 700 did new.

Next subject!

• Upvote 1

Jeez fella's.  I have a 700 and a JTV.  It's no comparison, as a functioning instrument, the JTV crushed it in almost every category.

The 700 was a nice instrument and I gigged with it for years.  Loved the butterscotch color and the sleek no pickup look.  Always got a lot of questions about it.

BUT, it didn't sound as good.  No alt tuning knob.  The piezo's cut out on any kind of serious trem use, no idea why they even made this with a trem.  And it had intonation issues, and until I got them finally fixed, my band called it the Vari-lollipop

JTV is DEAD stable in tuning even after a pretty good dive bomb.  Really not even close on tone. Plus the JTV's mag pickups sound great. JTV is a more pro and usable instrument.  AND it cost much less than the 700 did new.

Next subject!

I forgot about that, yeah, the sound cuts out when you dive bomb and that used to lollipop me off. I was like, what's the point?

I was super happy to find out they fixed that issue with the JTV. It had to do with contact falling off the piezo when divebombing.

Lollipop? Now that's a pretty funny correction the software put on me. The original word was a 3 letter word for a small donkey. Vari-Donkey was what I meant to say.

Good thing they're preserving our virgin ears/eyes for us. After all, musicians never use bad words...;)

• 1 year later...

Whaaaaat?

You described exactly what makes the 700 disgusting. That fake PRS look that is worse than those undisputable ugly PRS firewood.

I am always embarassed for people playing this horrible furniture of the 80s and ninetees (PRS) on stage. They're simply awkward.

They do not even look like guitars to me, probably like mutants born from a tête-à-tête between a one legged cello and a bedside lamp.

I never understood this and I never will. If - by any law - I would be forced to play these boards only, I would quit playin.

And JTVs look like guitars. And its better to imitate a strat or a paula than this painfully designed disaster.

BTW: The one, only and ever beauty ist the Gretsch Jupiter Thunderbird. There you see a bold, timeless and cool guitar.

hey i have an idea. why don't you just shut the lollipop up you nazi retard. something tells me you wouldn't even know what to do with a fender telecaster. if one fell out of the sky and caved your skull in it still wouldn't be enough to knock some sense into you. Have fun Goose Stepping with your Grandma. Idiot.

line6 has a bad habit of doing things like using low volt parts in there line volt gear with less then sufficient soldering and grounding. power supplys and switches(or lack of)that start giving you problems in the first week.somehow EVERY Piece of equipment that I've gotten from them has had some kind of design flaw like the wrong kind of parts or their downloads missing a couple of ones and zeros. so that what they suggest as a fix just ends up causing more problems that they won't even admit to until YEARS later.customer service that is certifiably lollipopy(everybody goes to lunch for two hours at the same time and then goes home early, and I'm pretty sure that they don't work on the weekend). I've spent so much time and money on this that sometimes i fantasize about letting my buddys pit bull use their employees for chew toys. Its really too bad because if they delivered what they said they were selling it would be a dream rig.

Its just that they don't. And what they do provide is just so unreliable that its literally made me cry more then once. and that is not easy to do. To buy the gear and then have to pinch pennys to  pay to ship it back to have them work on it only to have them give me a quote that was almost as much as the original price tag because it was a after the warranty period (and not by much)  when i think about it it feels like they have stollen years of my life.  all i can do is hope that some day it works out. until then ill just have to make do.   and remind myself. that Karma is a pit bull. One that i give treats to and loves it when i  scratch her behind the ears.

hey i have an idea. why don't you just shut the lollipop up you nazi retard. something tells me you wouldn't even know what to do with a fender telecaster. if one fell out of the sky and caved your skull in it still wouldn't be enough to knock some sense into you. Have fun Goose Stepping with your Grandma. Idiot.

The person you are responding to made his comments more than three years ago. I doubt he's still here to read your vitriol. I suggest you read the terms of use for this forum if you want to stick around. Another post like this and you're liable to be banned.

Lmao...good show in here today. Unearthed "ancient" communications, tension, drama, Nazis. I don't know if they're doing any more Indiana Jones movies, but we got the makings a script right here. Just hafta turn Harrison Ford into a guitar player in some 40's Big Band act...;)