Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best speaker solution for Helix

Paulzx

Guys, thanks for all the help so far on trying to solve my update woes, I'm sticking at version 2.01 for now as I don't have time in my life to lose trying to get 2.10 to install properly - or to risk losing the unit altogether!

So..I've had my Helix for more than a week and I still haven't actually been able to use it until now.

What I want to do is use the Helix for all the amp tone, cabs and effects ideally so I'm guessing some kind of PA speaker set up might be best?

My actual situation is that I own the following amps:

Spider 3 combo

Vetta 2 combo

DT50 combo

Is it actually worth trying to run a Helix through any of those or would you just go for some powered speakers?

I don't really want to mess about trying to change the DT50 midi settings and I don't know if there's any prospect of Line 6 integrating

L6 link properly.

I have no clue what the difference in the sound would be either way. I do prefer a 'pure' solution of Helix doing everything, but would be open to using one of those amps if it's straight forward to do.

If you guys are going to recommend stand alone speakers over an amp, what should I be looking for?

Thanks

Well, I'll advocate for FRFR and let others discuss actual amp/cab applications.

Personally I settled on a pair of Alto TS110a - most of the time they're in front of me like a set of floor monitors, but if the situation demands it they have the juice to sit behind me like a backline and get the sound out there. Kinda wish I'd waited a bit and got the next-gen ones (110b?) only because they changed the design on the cabinet to where they can sit on either side in monitor configuration.

Why FRFR?  As many folks point out, probably the best way to think of the Helix is as an amp in a studio environment, where you're listening thru the studio monitors.  And I agree with that philosophy.  Other than those small situations where I backline the speakers, I'm always DI'ing into the FOH board anyway - so the audience is essentially hearing the "control room monitors", and via the FRFR's so am I.  Eliminates a number of variables from the room/environment.  Also, if you opt for the amp/cab solution you're pretty much committed to the sound of that particular setup - going with a more flat (FRFR) system makes it easy to change everything on a patch-by-patch basis - you don't have to EQ the hell out of things to make your 4x12 sound thin and nasally (if you need that), start by pulling up the 6x9 Supro, or 8 inch Champ and go from there.  So for my money there's just more sonic flexibility in going the FRFR route.

Lots of guys running into amps/cabs, the Helix is nothing if not flexible in that regard.  I just appreciate the all-on-one-box solution...

This is really very dependent on what you intend to use the Helix for.

The thing that drives people to use powered PA type speakers or powered studio monitors is they want to minimize the coloration of the sound from the Helix.  You have to remember that the Helix includes not only the amp models, but also various cabinet models as well as mic's to be used on those amps.  So theoretically it should be providing a full amp and cabinet already mic'd on it's output.  Therefore, if you send that signal through another cabinet, there will be more coloration added.  Were you to mic that cabinet, yet more coloration.  Therefore the simplest route is to go direct to a full range flat response speaker.

However, that's hard for some people that are used to the response characteristics of a traditional amp speaker as powered speakers project sound in a very different was as do full range studio monitors (although they tend to be more similar).

That being said, there are plenty of people that use the Helix in conjunction with standard amps and are quite happy with the results.

The only one that can judge this type of stuff is yourself.  Just make sure you get enough information from people on here about the best way to set such things up so you're not mislead by thinking something isn't working right when it could actually be the way you configured things.

• Upvote 1

Excellent advice just given, I got nothing to add to that!

Well, I'll advocate for FRFR and let others discuss actual amp/cab applications.

Personally I settled on a pair of Alto TS110a - most of the time they're in front of me like a set of floor monitors, but if the situation demands it they have the juice to sit behind me like a backline and get the sound out there.

I got an Alto TS212 a couple of weeks after I got my Helix. After reading discussions here similar to the ones above, I became convinced that a powered FRFR speaker is the way to go. No regrets! I made my initial Helix patches using my in-ear monitors and the headphone jack and I did have some work cut out for me with EQing those patches for the Alto turned up to something in the ballpark of gig volume. But it turned out to be a rewarding effort and especially with the latest firmware, things are sounding pretty great! Somewhere down the road I may get a second TS212 so I can go stereo.

I have struggled with this too, tried to figure out the best solution and I thought FRFR was the way to go but... just by chance I had some down time after the update, played a gig with just the new amps and was really really happy FOH and an alto 212 at my feet.  It was great but...more downtime led to boredom and tweaking and twiddling.  Tried the helix into my tube amp-

Ran a compressor--> Minotaur--Teemah--Litigator--Reverb-send to tube combo through send 1, path continues to univibe, rotary, another reverb-delay-1 x 12 fender cab to Alto 212.  absolutely blown away Cant stop playing now...

• Upvote 1

I have struggled with this too, tried to figure out the best solution and I thought FRFR was the way to go but... just by chance I had some down time after the update, played a gig with just the new amps and was really really happy FOH and an alto 212 at my feet.  It was great but...more downtime led to boredom and tweaking and twiddling.  Tried the helix into my tube amp-

Ran a compressor--> Minotaur--Teemah--Litigator--Reverb-send to tube combo through send 1, path continues to univibe, rotary, another reverb-delay-1 x 12 fender cab to Alto 212.  absolutely blown away Cant stop playing now...

...and then there's this - like I said, flexible.  So your basic gtr sound goes to the combo, and processed stuff to the Alto?  Using the fx return on the combo to bypass its preamp?

My tube amp is pretty clean and clear so I just go direct into the main input.  Only one tone knob and I run that at about 10:30.  The Alto and the tube amp just ended up sonic-ally complimenting each other.  Complete fluke, everything is "there" now.  Nothing missing, creamy, violiny, sustain.  Scrolled through the rest of the amp models tonight using just the stock settings.  Really really nice.

• Upvote 1

Vetta 2 combo

Is it actually worth trying to run a Helix through any of those or would you just go for some powered speakers?

I had the Vetta 2 combo, and ran my HD500X in to it in the beginning (I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Helix). It works... and it's just OK.

But then I got a pair of the Alto TS110A and it was SOOOOO much better. The sound is great, and I love the fact that I can carry my guitar in one hand, the HD500X in its soft-case over my shoulder, and one of the TS110A speakers in the other hand... and that's all I need for rehearsal. I trip from the car and it's not breaking my back.

I would look at the Altos or something similar.... FRFR is (IMO) the way to go.

I think a real key point in whether to use FRFR is the variety of sounds you intend to play.  The more diverse your sounds, the more dramatic the difference will be with an FRFR setup.  If you really only play "your sound" then it won't really matter if you're going through a traditional amp as long as you can get what you want.  But with a variety of sounds you'll always be hampered by the flavoring of that amp and it's specific speaker arrangement on your tones.

• Upvote 1

Went for 2 off LT3's when I picked up my Helix in March. Never had any regrets.

Connect via L6 Link I have one cable from Helix to 1st LT3 then link from there to 2nd LT3 and just beautiful perfect sound.

So I play my backing track and my guitar through the same system and everything just perfect. And if I just want to listen to music then iTunes through Helix to same speakers and it is as close to HiFi as you can get. Perfect simple. (Was a bit expensive on the day of the buy though)

And if need be I use the 2nd channel from Mic input to setup nice effects through Helix so even my voice sounds half decent when singing along! All through the very same 3 pieces of equipment.

Volume is plenty of pure sound though I am not sure if it is enough for big stage but oh man there is plenty power in those L3t's. And with the L6 link you can add more and more speakers purely in the same link and power will increase. 

I have always felt that 10 inch speakers are the perfect size for best dynamic and frequency response on a guitar and each L3t has two of those. So you end up with 4 x 10 FRFR cab and your recordings or other music sound magnificent and in stereo then. 

So my only upgrade if ever would be for the next set of Line 6 speakers maybe with more power and 96kHz conversion rate. Otherwise I am set.

I've got a pair of Alto TS110A speakers, a DT25, a Vetta II and a Peavey 6505+ MH.  Each of these can be set up to sound really good.

That being said, 95% of the time I'm going into the Alto speakers.  FRFR (or close to it) is just so easy to use and most of the presets I've downloaded or purchased were set up that way to start with.

Thanks for the comments, sounds like Alto's are the way to go. I am keen to get the purest tone from the helix and I do want a simple easy solution.

I shall probably try going in to my amps just out of curiosity but I'm expecting the amps to produce an undesirable result because they might change the tone too much or require lots of fiddling.

So I'll look in to the Alto's as my ideal solution. I like the sound of those

I'll research the LT3's for an alternataive.

On those Alto's, I've noticed there are a few 115's going second hand, not many 110's

Will it really make much difference or are we saying definitely stick to the ten inch speaker?

It always depends-how many strings, string gauge, size of room, mounted on the floor, on a pole, on a case, tilted back.  I have an alto 212 (only one 12) but its boomy when at my feet and tilted, sounds very different on a pole, great when sitting on a case or box.  Global EQ in the helix can help.  Also the low and hi cuts on the speaker simulations inside helix.  I default to 75 HZ and 7.5 kHz for electric.

The 212 is really light so think about that before you jump on a cheap 15, I'm sure the 10's are lighter still.  Space matters too-do you have enough room in the vehicle for that and all of your other stuff?

Went for 2 off LT3's when I picked up my Helix in March. Never had any regrets.

Connect via L6 Link I have one cable from Helix to 1st LT3 then link from there to 2nd LT3 and just beautiful perfect sound.

So I play my backing track and my guitar through the same system and everything just perfect. And if I just want to listen to music then iTunes through Helix to same speakers and it is as close to HiFi as you can get. Perfect simple. (Was a bit expensive on the day of the buy though)

And if need be I use the 2nd channel from Mic input to setup nice effects through Helix so even my voice sounds half decent when singing along! All through the very same 3 pieces of equipment.

Volume is plenty of pure sound though I am not sure if it is enough for big stage but oh man there is plenty power in those L3t's. And with the L6 link you can add more and more speakers purely in the same link and power will increase. 

I have always felt that 10 inch speakers are the perfect size for best dynamic and frequency response on a guitar and each L3t has two of those. So you end up with 4 x 10 FRFR cab and your recordings or other music sound magnificent and in stereo then. 

So my only upgrade if ever would be for the next set of Line 6 speakers maybe with more power and 96kHz conversion rate. Otherwise I am set.

How do the L3T compare to the L2M?  A little confused how the 3 vs 2 and T vs M works...

I just got an L3T thanks to the sweetwater 48 month interest free financing deal going on - I was so impressed with it, I ordered a second.

Massive sound with the Helix.  With 2, I will have some really good flexibility for different venues.   I'm usually a tube amp player, but this thing is giving me some serious contention on what I actually want to use...

I can't speak for the L2M - but if you are just planning on using an L3 for the helix (and simple playback), then the L3M would save $100 and give you the same sound.

Well, I opted for an L2t after running the Helix through my PA and trying some options with my DT50 212.  I love the L2t.  I enjoy it so much as an overall solution that I thought of ditching the DT50.  But, I love that amp and still have an HD500 to mate with it.  I am not holding my breath regarding improved Helix/DT50 integration.  I guess I will continue to hoard Line 6 gear for awhile until my separation anxiety subsides.

I just got an L3T thanks to the sweetwater 48 month interest free financing deal going on - I was so impressed with it, I ordered a second.

Massive sound with the Helix.  With 2, I will have some really good flexibility for different venues.   I'm usually a tube amp player, but this thing is giving me some serious contention on what I actually want to use...

I can't speak for the L2M - but if you are just planning on using an L3 for the helix (and simple playback), then the L3M would save $100 and give you the same sound.

See this is exactly my point.  I said L3M and you said L2M.  I can't wrap my head around the differences between L - 3 vs 2 - M vs T. 

L2T

L3T

L2M

L3M

I use two L3Ts as PA, with one L2T as monitor and a Stagescape M20d (with L6 Link) and get great sound--that's for my 1-man act.  When I play with the worship band at church--straight into FOH and in-ear monitors--with a slightly better sound than my 1-man rig (don't know that church system, but very nice and $$$!).  Very happy with the Line 6 speakers, but they are HEAVY!

I had plans at one time for an L3S sub, but the L3Ts are plenty boomy enough for me, so I never got one.

One thing I never figured out is why Line 6 didn't put an L6 Link input on the M20d.  I go straight Hi-Z (1/4 inch) stereo from the Helix into the M20d, so that part is not digital, and therefore, occasionally a little noisy.

See this is exactly my point.  I said L3M and you said L2M.  I can't wrap my head around the differences between L - 3 vs 2 - M vs T. 

L2T

L3T

L2M

L3M

3 is three speakers,  2 is two speakers.

M is simply a monitor, so L2m is a two-speaker monitor.

T means it has a built in mixer and some other doodads that are kinda cool.

HTH (means Hope that Helps)

Ha.

• Upvote 3

L2T

L3T

L2M

L3M

Ok - a quick breakdown:

L2's are 800 watts, with 1 10" speaker and one 1" HF driver - they will work well if you want just an "amp" for your Helix.

L3's are 1400 watts, with 2 10" speakers and one 1" HF driver.   These will also work well as an "amp" for the helix, but can deliver more low end and are more versatile as they are idea to use in a PA system.

The diffrence between the T and the M:

M I believe stands for monitor.   They don't have a built in mixer like the T's.   You definitely can use the Helix with it via L6 link,  You can hook an MP3 or other player to it for backing tracks - but if you want to mix in things like bass and vocals you need an external mixer.

So, for just using as an amp, an L2M or L3M is perfect.

For PA use or to gain a lot of versatility, a L3T is ideal, although for simple applications (acoustic guitar and a vocal) a L2T would suffice.

Hope that helps.   And by the way, I'm pretty new to the StageSource stuff -  I just got my first L3T yesterday and ordered another that's due here on Monday.   I've just been doing a lot of reading up on it... 

I have an alto 212 (only one 12) but its boomy when at my feet and tilted, sounds very different on a pole, great when sitting on a case or box. 

Interesting. When I first got mine, I was a bit shocked by how much bass I was hearing from a flat response speaker. Granted, my patches had been made with the headphone jack and I expected to hear more lows (and highs) from the speaker, but not THAT much! So I tweaked my patches to be suitable at gig volume and used a lot of low cut. I figured the sound I was now getting from the Alto 212 would be somewhat close to what would come out of the FOH, but when I finally got a chance to stand in front of the FOH with a wireless guitar, those patches sounded like crap and there was a very pronounced deficit in the low end. I went back to the patches I'd made with the headphone jack and they sounded much better, albeit with a bit too much bass and treble. I started a thread about it here a couple of months ago and nobody was sure why those patches worked better, but I think you just solved that mystery for me:

I've never mounted the Alto on a pole or put it on a box. I don't lay it on it's side, I have it standing upright. I hadn't thought about it until now, but those bass frequencies are probably resonating on the floor and that's why it sounds so "boomy." So I think I'll need to get a mounting pole or some kind of stand and re-EQ everything (globally and probably individually as well) for that. Then maybe it'll sound closer to what I'd hope to hear coming out of the FOH. I know you didn't intentionally set out to solve my problem, but I think you might've anyway, so THANKS!

• Upvote 1

Ok - a quick breakdown:

L2's are 800 watts, with 1 10" speaker and one 1" HF driver - they will work well if you want just an "amp" for your Helix.

L3's are 1400 watts, with 2 10" speakers and one 1" HF driver.   These will also work well as an "amp" for the helix, but can deliver more low end and are more versatile as they are idea to use in a PA system.

The diffrence between the T and the M:

M I believe stands for monitor.   They don't have a built in mixer like the T's.   You definitely can use the Helix with it via L6 link,  You can hook an MP3 or other player to it for backing tracks - but if you want to mix in things like bass and vocals you need an external mixer.

So, for just using as an amp, an L2M or L3M is perfect.

For PA use or to gain a lot of versatility, a L3T is ideal, although for simple applications (acoustic guitar and a vocal) a L2T would suffice.

Hope that helps.   And by the way, I'm pretty new to the StageSource stuff -  I just got my first L3T yesterday and ordered another that's due here on Monday.   I've just been doing a lot of reading up on it... 

Great breakdown, thanks!

Dang, that Vetta II combo is still a sexy looking amp.  I looked at the back and it has stereo inputs that should work well for Helix.

It looks like the Vetta is using a version of Celestion Classic Lead 80's, which will have some guitar speaker/cab character of their own. If/when you go to test them together, try the Helix full amps with no cabs/IR's.   Try them with the cabs too.

With Helix, a solid state amp and traditional guitar cab with Mesa Black Shadow C90's (custom Celestion Classic Lead 80's), I was finding Helix amp models with cab/IR blocks too dark and without cab/IR blocks too bright. But...

...I tried a cool trick by putting in a cab/IR block, but splitting the path to have a side-chain parallel path with a cab around in/out of the thru path.  This passes a bit of the amp-only signal too.  You can adjust the cab/no-cab path mix on the split.  This will give a bit of both worlds and really sweeten things up.

But as stated above and many times in other threads, the Alto's and L6 Stagesource speakers are great, straightforward FRFR solutions.  I'm just throwing this out if you are feeling experimental and cheap  ;)

P.S.  I own a DT50 too and actually prefer Helix full amp models>solid state amp>guitar cab over Helix preamps>DT50>guitar cab.

VettaII-large.jpg

xl_40168-_image3_VETTA2COMBO_super.jpg

Vetta_II_Rear_R.jpg

Interesting. When I first got mine, I was a bit shocked by how much bass I was hearing from a flat response speaker. Granted, my patches had been made with the headphone jack and I expected to hear more lows (and highs) from the speaker, but not THAT much! So I tweaked my patches to be suitable at gig volume and used a lot of low cut. I figured the sound I was now getting from the Alto 212 would be somewhat close to what would come out of the FOH, but when I finally got a chance to stand in front of the FOH with a wireless guitar, those patches sounded like crap and there was a very pronounced deficit in the low end. I went back to the patches I'd made with the headphone jack and they sounded much better, albeit with a bit too much bass and treble. I started a thread about it here a couple of months ago and nobody was sure why those patches worked better, but I think you just solved that mystery for me:

I've never mounted the Alto on a pole or put it on a box. I don't lay it on it's side, I have it standing upright. I hadn't thought about it until now, but those bass frequencies are probably resonating on the floor and that's why it sounds so "boomy." So I think I'll need to get a mounting pole or some kind of stand and re-EQ everything (globally and probably individually as well) for that. Then maybe it'll sound closer to what I'd hope to hear coming out of the FOH. I know you didn't intentionally set out to solve my problem, but I think you might've anyway, so THANKS!

I have 2 x Alto TS212 sitting vertically on amp stands I got from Guitar Center for $40/ea. Definitely much boomier on the floor.

I also had a single TS110A before the TS212s. Wanted to try stereo but couldn't find another TS110A easily since they're discontinued and the TS210 weren't in stock. After getting the TS212 home I can say they don't sound much different than the TS110A. There is a bit more bass but it's not overbearing (like it is on my EV ZLX 15). The TS212 seem a bit brighter too. However they're not much heavier but are a bit bulkier.

The added bass doesn't bother me though, it can be EQ'ed out. I don't just play guitar through them, I also listen to full backing tracks and play a bit of bass guitar as well, so for me the TS212 are what I'd consider closer to a "full band" type sound. If I were just monitoring guitar I'd probably stick with the 10 just to keep things simple and smaller.

Now 

Dang, that Vetta II combo is still a sexy looking amp.  I looked at the back and it has stereo inputs that should work well for Helix.

It looks like the Vetta is using a version of Celestion Classic Lead 80's, which will have some guitar speaker/cab character of their own. If/when you go to test them together, try the Helix full amps with no cabs/IR's.   Try them with the cabs too.

With Helix, a solid state amp and traditional guitar cab with Mesa Black Shadow C90's (custom Celestion Classic Lead 80's), I was finding Helix amp models with cab/IR blocks too dark and without cab/IR blocks too bright. But...

...I tried a cool trick by putting in a cab/IR block, but splitting the path to have a parallel path with no cab around the cab/IR block.  This passes a bit of the amp-only signal too.  You can adjust the cab/no-cab path mix on the split.  This will give a bit of both worlds and really sweeten things up.

But as stated above and many times in other threads, the Alto's and L6 Stagesource speakers are great, straightforward FRFR solutions.  I'm just throwing this out if you are feeling experimental and cheap  ;)

P.S.  I own a DT50 too and actually prefer Helix full amp models>solid state amp>guitar cab over Helix preamps>DT50>guitar cab.

VettaII-large.jpg

Now I'll end up spending the rest of the day experimenting with my Vetta II Combo.

Now 

I messed with it a bit more today.  Having the cab/IR in the side path rather than the thru path worked better functionally for me. The Mesa C90 alone is great for clean and bluesy stuff.  For mid to high gain sounds, I found about 75% path A thru signal and 25% cab signal takes some of the harshness out of the Mesa C90, with a touch of greenback cab model on the plexi stuff and a touch of V30 cab model on the recto/uber stuff was nice.  It wasnt nearly as dark as running full cab model signal through the guitar speaker.

I feel like this setup is a bit more versatile than going through real V30's, which you cant brighten for cleans.   It was good times though.

Well, I opted for an L2t after running the Helix through my PA and trying some options with my DT50 212. I love the L2t. I enjoy it so much as an overall solution that I thought of ditching the DT50. But, I love that amp and still have an HD500 to mate with it. I am not holding my breath regarding improved Helix/DT50 integration. I guess I will continue to hoard Line 6 gear for awhile until my separation anxiety subsides.

Similar here, still got my hd500 and dt50 combo but will probably sell that as the helix doesn't sound great with the amp at least not with L6 link. These from speakers look like the way to go

Dang, that Vetta II combo is still a sexy looking amp. I looked at the back and it has stereo inputs that should work well for Helix.

It looks like the Vetta is using a version of Celestion Classic Lead 80's, which will have some guitar speaker/cab character of their own. If/when you go to test them together, try the Helix full amps with no cabs/IR's. Try them with the cabs too.

...I tried a cool trick by putting in a cab/IR block, but splitting the path to have a side-chain parallel path with a cab around in/out of the thru path. This passes a bit of the amp-only signal too. You can adjust the cab/no-cab path mix on the split. This will give a bit of both worlds and really sweeten things up.

But as stated above and many times in other threads, the Alto's and L6 Stagesource speakers are great, straightforward FRFR solutions. I'm just throwing this out if you are feeling experimental and cheap ;)

P.S. I own a DT50 too and actually prefer Helix full amp models>solid state amp>guitar cab over Helix preamps>DT50>guitar cab.

VettaII-large.jpg

Vetta_II_Rear_R.jpg

Good idea, I'll hook up to my Vetta and give it a go. I really should try it before taking the plunge on an alto. I saw a youtube video where a guy did a sound demo on the L3 speaker against an alto 110 and the line 6 speaker did sound better but they are very expensive.

Is this for playing out at high volumes? Or monitoring yourself at home? Because GC is having a sale right now on JBL LSR305 monitors for $99 each. Cannot beat this clarity and flat response for many times this price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/5-Inch-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Limited-Edition-Matte-Red-1500000021639.gc

Really? I'm in England so wonder if I can get that deal? Don't know much about that unit.

No it's not for high volume, I just play at home at the moment but I do like to get as big a sound dynamically as possible but certainly won't be gig volume.

Just had a look at those JBL'S, cheap to pick up but only 5 inch speakers. Will a pair of those on stands sound as good as the Alto's or the DT50 combo in terms of richness of sound?

As said previously, volume is not the issue but sound quality is so I want the best quality output at reasonable cost. I don't want to end up with my helix sounding like a practice amp!

Just had a look at those JBL'S, cheap to pick up but only 5 inch speakers. Will a pair of those on stands sound as good as the Alto's or the DT50 combo in terms of richness of sound?

As said previously, volume is not the issue but sound quality is so I want the best quality output at reasonable cost. I don't want to end up with my helix sounding like a practice amp!

No. Those are essentially for home recording They won't sound bad at all but for one thing, the speaker cone is exposed. Not good for outside.

Really? I'm in England so wonder if I can get that deal? Don't know much about that unit.

No it's not for high volume, I just play at home at the moment but I do like to get as big a sound dynamically as possible but certainly won't be gig volume.

No. Those are essentially for home recording They won't sound bad at all but for one thing, the speaker cone is exposed. Not good for outside.

Agreed. I only recommended these in case you were just playing at home. They are a great product, particularly for the money. They get louder than I'd use with family or roommates in the same house, but they never leave my home. I have a loud FRFR cab for when I rarely need a cab when I'm playing out (99% of the time I'm on IEMs).

Here's the frequency response graph. As you can see it's really flat. JBL_LSR_305_Random.jpg

For several hours today, I used my Helix with JBL LSR305s, as near field monitors. They sounded great! The LSR305 were set to their higher sensitivity level and with their volume knobs at full. I played an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro with Probuckers, through all of Helix's Amp Combo models. At times the Helix Volume knob was set at maximum. No guitar pad. No level boosts in any of Helix's Blocks (including the Output Block). If you desire a louder near field setup and have the space go with the LSR308s.