Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaker type suggestions for use with Helix

GaryT898

Hello all,

So I am upgrading from my POD HD500X to the Helix, mainly because I had my poweramp go bad during a show. I have heard all these good things about the Matrix poweramp that I finally bought one. When I spoke to the Matrix engineer, he stated the next weakest link in my signal chain was my POD unit and my speakers. He had suggested either the Helix or the Fractal. After watching numerous videos and I am already familar with the Line 6 pedalboard, choosing the Helix was easy.

So now that I have purchased the Matrix poweramp and the Helix, I am looking for suggestions on what 12" speakers to run. I currently have a 2 - 12 Peavey cabinet with Greenback 25s. 

I should also mention that I am not interested in using powered speakers at this point. I am looking to purchase a couple of high end 12" speakers that I can throw in my Peavey cab.

All of my main guitars are Ibanez Prestige with maple necks and Dactivator pickups if that makes any difference. 

Thank you

I bet that the HD 500 sounds just fine to your audience in your scenario.

That said, I do like the Helix better, but do you NEED to upgrade? No. Do you WANT to? Only you can decide.

Wait till you have the speakers upgraded and then decide if you're not happy.

It probably depends on the type of music you play mostly, but that matrix amp with Helix and your Greenbacks in the Peavey 212 may sound outstanding as is. Powering traditional guitar cabs is one of the Matrix's main applications.  If you search the web, you will see a lot of Fractal users with an AXE FX>Matrix>traditional guitar cab.  I'm not sure why it's not more popular in this Helix group.

Normally you wouldn't run any Helix cab models or IR's into that setup as your Peavey/Greenbacks ARE the cab.  You'll still find A LOT of versatility in just the Helix amp models and effects alone, and your life will be MUCH less complicated with cab/IR models.

Greenbacks are great for mid-gain, classic rock.  Celestion V30's for mid-heavy distortion.  Celestion Seventy-80's for 80's-90's metal.  Jensen alnicos for cleans.

Dont be afraid to mix speakers for more versatility.  That Matrix amp is stereo, so you could have a Greenback on one side and a Jensen on the other, then pan Helix left, right or blend depending on your preset.

I have personally found that the Mesa Black Shadow C90 is a VERY versatile speaker with Helix for both clean and mid-high gain sounds.  I actually run one of these and one V30 in a Mesa Recto 212 and mic both speakers live.  This is what Mesa did for their Road King cabs and what Line 6 did in the DT50 212 combo.  

I currently use a stereo Crate Powerblock amp, but would love to have that Matrix.  Too bad Matrix doesnt make one that is half that wide and twice as tall, as that would fit in my Helix backpack front pouch like my Crate Powerblock (hint hint Line 6)  :)

I have personally found that the Mesa Black Shadow C90 is a VERY versatile speaker with Helix for both clean and mid-high gain sounds.  I actually run one of these and one V30 in a Mesa Recto 212 and mic both speakers live.  This is what Mesa did for their Road King cabs and what Line 6 did in the DT50 212 combo.  

Great run down on the character of various speakers although I am personally still more of a fan of using an FRFR or PA speaker with a modeler. I do think however people should use whatever sounds and feels best to them, whether that is FRFR or guitar amp/cab. I am not surprised to hear that the Mesa Black Shadow C90 works well as it has high power handling capacity, plenty of headroom, and in my opinion has more of a full range sound than some of the other offerings from Celestion.

I began my Helix adventure back in May of this year.  The system I put together has the Helix rack fed by a L6 G90 wireless

and powered by a Koch ATR-4502 tube hybrid, single space stereo amp.  I run the L/R outs into a Wizard cab with a Celestion

Vintage 10 and initially an EVM 12".  I figured the EVM would be the fuller range component of the overall sound.

I found the EVM to quite lifeless in this application.  Although it has a wider response, the mids and high end were not musical to me.

I swapped it out for a Jensen, Falcon 12" and all the warmth and sparkle was there.

The 10/12 combination driven by the dynamic stereo amp really works nicely with the Helix tones for me.  Complete system in 6 space rolling rack.

I have used the Helix cabs on some patches.  There's really no rules here.  In some cases, the patches just sound better with the IR or cab turned on.

Try it both ways and see what sounds the best.  Some of the IR really complement the 10/12" speaker combination.  Others get to bass heavy.

If it sounds good, use it man.  Exploit that Helix for all it's worth.  Cheers!

Man, I hooked Helix up the L6 Spider Valve head and Mesa 2x12 cab again after reading @bobruz post...it really is better sounding/feeling than the solid state amp, and still lets the Helix full amp models shine through.  Makes my new JTV-69 Variax modeled guitars sound better too.  No stereo now, but the tone is worth it.  Back to hauling a head and cab rehearsal and gigs ;)