Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and L3T --- insanely good

sheehanje

So, after my tube amp (A Mesa JP-2C) cut out the other day at practice (ended up being the cabinet) I decided I needed a backup.   I already have a Helix which I run 4CM to the JP-2C - it sounds great.   Instead of buying a whole new head, I decided to go with a L3T so I can have a little versatility.

Well, just going through the Helix presets (I didn't have my own amp modelling patches setup seeing I only run effects) - I got to say I am very impressed.   So much so I ordered a second L3T.

Who's using this setup?  Is there enough power and clarity to run a whole hard rock band through 2 L3T's with the Helix going in with the L6 Link, or does it put the L3T into a mode where it's only ideal to use it exclusively with the Helix?

I know I've run my bass player into the aux and through the second path when going through my small JBL monitors when we are in song writing mode.   But does 2 L3T's have enough to run vocals and at least a kick drum through?

I definitely don't have enough to spend on a whole setup right now - so 2 L3T's is going to be all I have for at least a year.  I would eventually like to get a couple monitors and subwoofer.

Also, can I mix and match the l2m's in with the setup?   I know I'm on the Helix forum - and some of my questions are more on the l3t's, but the helix is my primary reason for having these.   Can't wait to start really dialing in my own patches.

Mix and match -absolutely!  The 2 3Ts are plenty.  But if you want to have something to play out with, the 2s are much lighter and portable - and possibly even sound better as a single personal guitar monitor when using a single unit.  I advise that you always ignore the presets on the speakers.  They can automatically change on you depending upon how you have the speaker oriented.   Always check them after powering on to make sure they are in "reference PA mode" when both playing and auditioning/saving patches.     

Your 2 L3t speakers can handle everything you mention. Check out some typical configurations here, particularly the Small Club Duet. This supports 4 XLR/Line inputs on the two side panel mixers as well as a number of rear panel inputs.

http://line6.com/support/page/articles/_/live-sound/stagesource-speaker/stagesource-series-setup-examples-r89

Note that you need to connect the two speakers in a bi-directional L6 Link setup in order to get all inputs to each speaker heard from both speakers in stereo. That means you will not use L6 Link from your Helix. Use the analog outputs to the rear panel inputs on one of the L3t.

If you're just using Helix you can use L6 Link and daisy chain the 2nd speaker from the first. The problem arises when you connect something to the 2nd speaker and want to also hear it from the 1st speaker. The sound can't get to the first speaker via L6 Link because Helix is already connected to its L6 Link IN port.

If you're just using Helix you can use L6 Link and daisy chain the 2nd speaker from the first. The problem arises when you connect something to the 2nd speaker and want to also hear it from the 1st speaker. The sound can't get to the first speaker via L6 Link because Helix is already connected to its L6 Link IN port.

Sounds like I could just use a small mixer then, L6 Link from Helix to 1st speaker,  Mixer L to Left Speaker, Mixer R to Right speaker and go that route.

We already have a mixer from my singers PA, so I can just utilize that.

Thinking of options here - and there are so many just from 2 L3T's.

So, even if I'm just using the Helix - I skip the L6 Link if I want to use both speakers?

Absolutely not.  If you are only using Helix and 2 stagesource speakers, you simply daisy chain them with L6 cables and it does all the the stereo routing automatically.  The only reason you might want to do anything different is if you like using Helix's

Global EQ.  L6 Link disables Global EQ (for some reason).  I don't use the Helix Global EQ myself.  In my opinion it just adds another element of inconsistency to the equation.  Make your presets and play using "reference PA mode" at all times.  If you are playing a gig add an eq to your preset to compensate for venue differences, save it, and it will sound the same the next time you use it.  I only use one stagesource unit when playing out.  As a personal monitor.  I make my preset to suit myself.  Then a separate connection directly from the Helix to the soundboard.  Then the sound guy does whatever he wants with my sound anyway.

I got the second L3T tonight - amazing.  I tried bass through it, and while it sounds very good for a monitoring or rehearsal type session, I'm not so sure it would hold the low end for a gig.   Definitely want to add subwoofers to the mix when I can.

For the Helix definitely, and probably for vocals (I will be testing tomorrow) - I think these are perfect.    I started building some of my own patches, and it defnitely they definitely come to life through the L3T.  I've tried some patches with headphones and with small JBL studio monitors - and while they sounded good, they didn't have the punch I'm getting now.  For presets - the  Factory 1 04D (ANGL Meteor) sounds insanely rich.   Also, I've been using the Archon models, and they are so easy to dial in, definitely one of the best in the unit for me.   I've been using the stock cabs, but am looking for a good set of IR's to start really opening these babies up.   I looked at some other FRFR solutions - almost going with the mission engineering cab (which I heard is great) - but I want flexibility and the ability to really be able to expand this into a full live sound solution for the band.   I think I made a great choice!

Congratulations!  You're gonna luuuuv it!   I have my pair of L3s in a very small room (about 11 X 14).  Occasionally I'll bring my L2 home from church and create a WDW  mix with only my guitar and gain pedals coming out the middle and stereo mods at sides.  Almost sounds awesome enough to make me feel like I'm talented on ocassion.