Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 Will not function beyond "Magnetic Pickups"

Thanks for viewing my Post. Heres my issue with as much detail as I can possibly Muster.

I have started this specific thread because I am connected only to a MAC computer (compatible SierraOS) I DO NOT have a POD, or any other connected device and only seem to find threads with issues to connect to other devices or threads that get derailed / go nowhere. Trying very hard to be Patient as the Guitar plays like a Dream just doesn't Model  ;)

Here we Go:

1. I have a New JTV59 with the Included Battery, Charger and USB interface (VDI?) and accompanying "ethernet" cable, Pilots Handbook, Allan wrenches etc...

2. I have Charged the Battery Fully (Over twelve hours with slow red blink on charger)

3. I have 4 Green LEDs on the back that stay on for 3 seconds and disappear when the Battery is placed into the Guitar. 

4. I have Sound working with Magnetic Pickups only (like any regular guitar would) through 1/4" jack

5. I have Monkey Recognizing the USB interface

6. I have Installed the Latest versions Monkey and Workbench HD (as monkey prompted me to)

6. I have the 1/4 inch Jack and VDI "Ethernet" Cable attached to the Guitar

Despite attempting all the different suggestions on this Forum

1. I do not have any LEDs lighting under the Modeling or Alt-Tuning Knobs

2. The Four Green LEDs on the Back flash a few times when pressing the little Circular switch then turn off

3. Monkey Does not recognize the Guitar

4. WorkBench HD does not recognize the Guitar

5. USB interface Is Green (computer side) and Flashing Red (Guitar Side)

5. I do not hear any "Relay Click" when the 1/4" standard guitar cable is connected (With or Without VDI connected)

6. I have no Modeling sound whether through an amp connected to 1/4"

I have tried adding pieces of Paper to the inside of the Modeling Knob (Which 1/100 times will "Click" when pressed down)

I have tried Switching the "Tone Switch" to Position 3 and 5 with Modeling knob in position Custom 1

post-2481138-0-33620400-1480619366_thumb.jpg

I have tried to wear the battery down a bit and reseat it numerous times.

I have tried to check the internal Contacts of the Battery Case with a multimeter and see expected voltages being provided by the Battery. The three contacts from battery to case are firmly seated.

I Have tried using a different "Ethernet" Cable (This is the last thing I've tried)

I am in Mexico for two months and do not have the ability to simply return the Guitar for a replacement.

Happy to provide any further information / Photos / Video!!!

Truly Hoping someone on this Forum can help a Guy out!

:D Much Appreciated :D

• Upvote 1

Does the 1/4" cable have TRS ends on it?

If using batteries and guitar cable,... it likes TRS better.

The hook up depicted in the photo is for using Monkey and Workbench HD,

and is not for playing thru.

You probably already know this, but you can not use the interface device and do any playing at the same time.

When using the interface, plug in the cables as you would for programming with Workbench HD or updating with Monkey,... insert the battery, take a headphone plug adapter and plug into the 1/4" jack to engage the relay. Both LED's should go green at that point.

Do not have the USB interface device plugged in while playing.

It won't play using the hook-up configuration as shown in the photo.

Posting a diagram of how you are hooking it up would be good. Photo of a diagram.

I am sorry but TRS is not necessary to work any Variax with an amp when running on the battery! 

Definitely not necessary, but there appears to be a failure mode where a steering diode can fault to ground through the sleeve of a mono plug.  This is related to Mr. Sarkissian's cryptic warnings about running with both Digital and 1/4" cables attached.  They could admit that there's a design flaw, but then they'd have to kill you...  One of my sources who's in a position to know what he's talking about has suggested that using a 1/4" plug with the ring floating is a safe way to have both DVI and 1/4" signal leads in play.

It could be a design flaw,... if it was designed to function with both connectors

activated in the first place, but it wasn't. Has to do with current draw on the circuitry.

"... has suggested that using a 1/4" plug with the ring floating is a safe way to have both VDI and 1/4" signal leads in play"---

hmmm,... maybe. I'll have to try it that way. The plug to jack contacts would have to seat just so,... and stay that way the whole

time. I'll have to look into that further.

Tried something like that once in the first two weeks of the product release,... the board got hot in places I didn't want it too.

I'll look into that again with these newer boards.

I had a weird issue occur today.  I had to swap my Variax in for my other guitar when I broke a string. I did not have the VDI cable plugged in and I had no battery in the Variax.  I was just using a standard 1/4 cable to connect the Variax to my Helix was and using the magnetic pickups only. The guitar would work normally for a little while and then all of a sudden the sound would drop out completely. Does the Variax require a battery to work on a 1/4 cable with only the magnetics?  Not sure if my Helix was glitching or the Variax?

"It does not come with a TRS cable"---

The original Variax did. 

The jacks on all Variaxes are TRS jacks.

TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) :: T = Signal, R = +Vdc, S = Return (common).

Good thing to know when using the battery, and good reason to use the TRS cable.

Correct, no battery or VDI needed to play passive in magnetic mode.

Hi thanks for the Suggestions. I have applied them but still do not have any modeling function. It is worth noting that for some reason when I tried to connect to USB interface this morning the Green light on the Interface (Guitar Side) began staying green for a period and then providing one quick flash of Red.

Not sure if this helps???

I've opened a support ticket with Support. Hoping to get rocking ASAP!

Thanks again,

-Hopper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you! You guys are awesome had the Modeling switch problem on my Jtv59 didnt know it wasnt engaging the switch. I pulled the modeling knob tried with the thumb and it was beautiful moment, shimmed the end shaft 1/16â€put the knob back on works perfectly after previous many hours of frustration.

2nd owner, second year have the PODHD500X no problem, love the guitar. 

tried every thing listed in the many blogs also just trouble shooting spent a lot of time working on Damn Monkey re reboot not sure what the prob was..

Thank you for getting the info out to help others solve these issues.

The discusion on battery charger probs confirms same here time to buy the power supply . :D

Thank you! You guys are awesome had the Modeling switch problem on my Jtv59 didnt know it wasnt engaging the switch. I pulled the modeling knob tried with the thumb and it was beautiful moment, shimmed the end shaft 1/16â€put the knob back on works perfectly after previous many hours of frustration.

2nd owner, second year have the PODHD500X no problem, love the guitar.

tried every thing listed in the many blogs also just trouble shooting spent a lot of time working on Damn Monkey re reboot not sure what the prob was..

Thank you for getting the info out to help others solve these issues.

The discusion on battery charger probs confirms same here time to buy the power supply . :D

Glad you got it working...and 3 cheers for a part that should have been redesigned and replaced years ago. Hurrah! Well it seems one cheer is all I can muster, oh well. ;)