Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Spider V

FIRESERPENT1

Hey guys!

I just ordered a Helix and it should be here this weekend!!! Its primary use will be for home recording. About a month ago I purchased a spider V and was wondering if its possible to run the Helix through it until I save some cash for a frfr. Am I correct in the thought that if I run through the input into a patch with no amp/cab sim I should be ok? I hope everyone is having a blast creating with their Helix! Cheers!

Ideally you want to run into a pure amp with no pre-amp.  Since I'm not familiar with the Spider V I'm not sure if it has that type of configuration.  Ideally this is why many people simply plug the output of the Helix into a loop in on a traditional amp to bypass the pre-amp stage.

Ideally you want to run into a pure amp with no pre-amp.  Since I'm not familiar with the Spider V I'm not sure if it has that type of configuration.  Ideally this is why many people simply plug the output of the Helix into a loop in on a traditional amp to bypass the pre-amp stage.

Hey Dragon!

Thanks for the response! Here's what we're looking at with the spider v. 

1.No fx loop

2.Full range speaker system (10")

3.Amp/Cab sims can be turned off for what would then be a dry signal I'm guessing.

Now that I'm really looking at this thing, I'm thinking in theory it should work. My Helix should be here Saturday. I'll just have to give it a go and I'll update here.

Thanks for your input man! 

Hey Dragon!

1.No fx loop

3.Amp/Cab sims can be turned off for what would then be a dry signal I'm guessing.

Now that I'm really looking at this thing, I'm thinking in theory it should work. My Helix should be here Saturday. I'll just have to give it a go and I'll update here.

It's not ideal - with no FX loop you can't do any preamp (or poweramp) modelling.  You can go into the front of the amp - which will allow you to use helix effects (distortion, wah, etc, stuff good in the front) - but you will still have to do amp/cab modelling on the Spider.

The only thing I could think of is if you use the Aux in - you'd have to get an adapter for it.  Not ideal, but I suppose it could work.

I would suggest selling or trading your Spider V for a decent FRFR speaker.  the V's are only 60 watts of solid state - so really a bedroom jam kind of amp (it's not going to cut very well in a band setting).   Not trying to knock it, its targeted at the beginner guitarist crowd.   But you have a state of the art amp modelling solution.  If you are using it for recording, or plan on using headphones a lot, great.   If you plan on playing out with it, you will always have to depend on FoH PA to plug into.   If you want maximum versatility with the Helix and the ability to rehearse with the band, and annoy your neighbors, invest in at least a 250 watt FRFR speaker.  

Hey Dragon!

1.No fx loop

I'm not gonna tell you it's impossible to get good tones this way, but it will be very difficult, and in all likelihood a very noisy set-up. These two units are simply not designed to work together. The lack of an FX loop is your problem. Running Helix straight into the from of the amp is effectively daisy-chaining two modelers together...it's redundant, and difficult to tweak. If you're trying to use the models in Helix, there's nothing you can do to prevent the Spider from coloring everything that Helix is pumping out...and if you're not gonna use the Helix models, then why have it? Yes, you could run just the FX, but if that's all you want, there are far cheaper multi-fx units out there that will do the same thing.

All models of Spider V (30/60/120/240) have a 1/8" aux input that the manual says is for straight to the power amp connections. So yes you can connect a helix to a spider v. I would recommend a dual mono (L&R) 1/4" to single 1/8" stereo Y cable, and that should sort it out.

Cheers

Rowbi

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Last night I brought my Helix and in fact used the Spider V 240 as FRFR cabinet and I can tell you, amazing results!!!!!! instead of connecting in front of the amp you connect in the back of the Spider, that bypass the entire pre amp, effects, everything!!!!! The only thing that works is the volume! Use the AUX IN! The 240 version is a stereo version! from there you can send a L/R to the FOH, also you can use a splitter cable to send the signal from the Helix into a stereo 1/4"cable and send it to the Spider V. There is no way to go wrong guys, I got the same results connecting my Helix into a Line 6 FRFR monitor (L3M), exactly the same with the advantage to use the spider in small environments!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I run into the Aux In on my new Spider V 240 and it sounds great!!!  I run a LiveWire dual mono 1/4" to stereo 1/8" cable and it works like a charm.  I have an Alto TS210 as well and like the Spider much better.  The Alto is way too boomy and bassy.  The Spider sounds great and gives more of a guitar amp 'feel' to the tone.  It would've been nice if they could have made it a 1/4" Aux In, but whatever.  And now I can use the Spider as my backup if needed due to the stereo XLR outs.  Personally, I think using the Helix in conjunction with the Spider V is one of Line 6's unintended best kept secrets!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am pleased to hear that Spider V 240 amp and the Helix/helix LT can be used together {Spider V as an FRFR}.  I too, have the Spider V 240 combo.  I was thinking I would save some real coins if it sounds as good or near the tones of a Powercab 112 in flat mode.  I will be purchasing a Helix LT in the future and had in mind 2 Powercabs for stereo sound.  Can someone who has used the 240 with a Helix let me know of the sound quality!  This would save me $1500 .......Thanks a bunch.

4 hours ago, Hankon6 said:

I am pleased to hear that Spider V 240 amp and the Helix/helix LT can be used together {Spider V as an FRFR}.  I too, have the Spider V 240 combo.  I was thinking I would save some real coins if it sounds as good or near the tones of a Powercab 112 in flat mode.  I will be purchasing a Helix LT in the future and had in mind 2 Powercabs for stereo sound.  Can someone who has used the 240 with a Helix let me know of the sound quality!  This would save me $1500 .......Thanks a bunch.

I own a Spider V 20. It's a cute little bedroom amp and it's a lot of fun, and connecting the Stomp to it works pretty good.

So how good is it for an FRFR solution?  That's hard to answer. My knee jerk reaction is to say "you get what you pay for" but if I do that I'm kind of selling it short a little because people tend to assume that that phrase means you get garbage with the Spider V, and that's not true. Especially the Spider 240 which is $500 .  .  . not exactly chump change. The Spider 240 is basically about the same clarity as my little 20, but with quite a bit more heft and oomph, and it's nice. 

However, you're not just paying for the speaker.  You're paying for all the modelling technology in it too. This means Line 6 packed in a decent flat response system, but not the best of the best for $500.  Is it as good as a $500 Powercab that was largely designed to be a dedicated flat response?  I personally don't think so.

If someone already had one and was looking to save money for a while, I'd say it's a great idea. In fact, there's a good chance you'll be happy for a very long while. If they didn't already have one, but wanted to save money, I'd steer them towards the Headrush FRFRs or recommend they get a Powercab. I wouldn't recommend they buy a Spider V for their flat response needs.  Does that make sense?

Anyway, I hope that kind of explains where I think the sound falls. Better than a lot of options including a regular old traditional amp, but not as impressive as a dedicated flat response speaker system. 

Edit:  I also think the posters above were making connecting needlessly complicated. Yes, you can go through the auxiliary in, works great.  You can also create a flat response preset and just plug in with your good old traditional 1/4 cable in the guitar in. Easy peasy. 

There are a thread or two on this subject in the Amps-Spider V forum here. Seems like plugging into the front with no amp/cab selected seems to work well. You do lose stereo functions from the Helix going into the front, but for live/loud playing stereo isn’t really necessary anyways. One person who a lot of experience with this setup has suggested and EQ setup to get the most from the amp. I’d recommend checking out that forum for more information. I’m actually looking into this for myself to have a more amp-like stage experience.

• 8 months later...

This is my  setup.  I have a Helix into 2 Spider V 120's I just set this up like this.  I am currently using it without any amps, effects, cabs, etc setup on a patch using the normal input on the Spider V so I don't have to hit the tap buttons every time i play to bypass the preamp.

I haven't tuned everything and made patches yet I just built this to replace my old setup of a pod pro hdx, spider v, 2x12 cab, triaxis, ada mp2, peavey classic 60 60 and a lexicon mx400.

Wanted to make it less complicated and save some money, bought the Helix, rack case, foot controller, expression pedal for $1400 then I bought a Spider V with FBV, transmitter for $100 off offer up.  Already had the other Spider V for $200 off guitar center used.  For my whole setup there I am in for about $1850.

72098223_390982955125323_8615988902999621632_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...