Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port Problems

Reports of failure in new Sonic Ports has been bothering me. My first one did not work, and was replaced by the retailer. Frequently the iPad 2 says Device Not Recognised (or something very similar) and I have had to reboot to get it to work. So far this does make the thing go, and as a precaution before a gig I power down before connecting the SonicPort. So far so good, but not filling me with confidence. I chose this over the IK HD as it looked a bit more solid- I like the audio connections being at the same end - but am using it with Amplitube.

Same with mine :-( Went home straight from the shop, unpacked and read "Line 6 Device Not Found". Got me a new one on the same day. 

This one stopped it's service after 6 days. I'm quite sure that the cable's broken. But I just played it on the sofa - far away from any stage.

Got to go back to my shop tomorrow.....

While swapping the first one I had two cables so I had the chance to see if the cable was at fault. I kept the original cable just in case. The IOS connector has retracting teeth that fasten it into the socket. I take great care to make sure that these teeth are withdrawn before plugging/ unplugging. The socket on the SP unit is one i don't recognise. I wonder if it is a standard item that can be got from elsewhere?

Sounds like I've been relatively lucky. Why don't Line6 make one that just works?

I've had a Line 6 Mobile In and Sonic Port both fail.  I replaced the Mobile In unit with a Sonic Port believing the cable connections would be more secure and less prone to damage than the Mobile In connection on my iPad 2.  I've done a software restore on my iPad 2 which did not correct this issue.  I opened a support ticket with L6 on July 25, 2013.  Still waiting for them to correct this problem by sending me new cables.  It's been 47 days since I reported this problem... still haven't recieved the fix.  This Sonic Port might as well be made of Legos. 

So glad Line 6 doesn't make cars or medical devices! 

That is shocking story. Quite why they put this product out I'm not sure. Do these manufacturers assume they have to have one-of-everything on the market? This is a brand that put out a new version of the HD500, that even they themselves don't seem to be able to say what's different about it. And they are clearly devoted to ensuring that everybody plays a Vari-wotsit thingy. I have yet to meet anyone who who does and I doubt if I will. Especially given their current corporate performance.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like same issue I have. I had fellow guitar player inform me of the microphone enabled setting problem. I pad recognized the sonic port initially but no longer works. deleted the app and tried to reinstall app and now does not recognize at all. I-pad w/ io7 problem?? He did not do IO7 update on his I-pad. Taking sonic port back today for replacement to Apple Store.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! The answer is pretty simple - Sonic Port is incompatible with all latest mobile devices and software updates. It's a time to call Line 6 by the name they deserve!

I personally went to guitar store today and tried to connect their brand new, opened in store Sonic Port to my new iPad Air and iPhone 5S and it's all dead!

Well, it was a good idea of mine to move my but towards the store rather than paying money.

THE MOST HILARIOUS THING IS THAT LINE 6 DISTRIBUTE ALREADY OUT OF DATE INCOMPATIBLE DEVICES PLUS YOU CANNOT UPDATE IT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER OR INTERNET. MOBILE POD WILL NOT LET YOU DO IT EITHER. SO YOU GUYS, WHOEVER BOUGHT IT CAN CONFIDENTLY RETURN IT BACK TO THE SELLER, CAUSE IT'S A USELESS PIECE OF PLASTIC, NO MORE.

Line 6 are not the ones they claim they are! It's a fraud to sell people faulty unrepairable gear on massive scale! Too bad! Shame on you, funky time wasters!

• Downvote 4

Hi everyone! The answer is pretty simple - Sonic Port is incompatible with all latest mobile devices and software updates. It's a time to call Line 6 by the name they deserve!

I personally went to guitar store today and tried to connect their brand new, opened in store Sonic Port to my new iPad Air and iPhone 5S and it's all dead!

Well, it was a good idea of mine to move my but towards the store rather than paying money.

THE MOST HILARIOUS THING IS THAT LINE 6 DISTRIBUTE ALREADY OUT OF DATE INCOMPATIBLE DEVICES PLUS YOU CANNOT UPDATE IT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER OR INTERNET. MOBILE POD WILL NOT LET YOU DO IT EITHER. SO YOU GUYS, WHOEVER BOUGHT IT CAN CONFIDENTLY RETURN IT BACK TO THE SELLER, CAUSE IT'S A USELESS PIECE OF PLASTIC, NO MORE.

Line 6 are not the ones they claim they are! It's a fraud to sell people faulty unrepairable gear on massive scale! Too bad! Shame on you, funky time wasters!

There is much truth in what you say, but I have this much to add. Firstly: So far, apart from the problems I've already outlined, Sonic Port has treated me well - so far.....please....so far. Second: if you tried to criticise IK Multimedia on one of their forums they would come down on you like a ton of 4x12s.  Try it and see. And be very careful before purchasing a Blueboard.

There is much truth in what you say, but I have this much to add. Firstly: So far, apart from the problems I've already outlined, Sonic Port has treated me well - so far.....please....so far. Second: if you tried to criticise IK Multimedia on one of their forums they would come down on you like a ton of 4x12s.  Try it and see. And be very careful before purchasing a Blueboard.

You're right - Line 6 make lots of good things, but like Apple get a bit bigheaded and funkup with basics. It's pretty hard for me to digest, why their customer service is so bad, and why the least complexive unit like interface, that has been designed by tons of companies for decades, could be so misjudged by Line 6. They claim to be pioneers in music technology and cannot sort out cables and basic interfaces? There is definitely something wrong here.

You are one of those lucky people who somehow got a good product while the majority suffer. As I said pretty clear I checked the unit I wanted to buy right in the store and it didn't work, then I looked at these forums and there are so many complains! No justification man!

You are right about customer service. Being lucky enough (2nd time around) to have a unit that worked, my next step was to ensure that the cable didn't ever let me down - one careless foot on a crowded stage and its all over. So where do you get a spare? After various fruitless enquiries I asked L6 via a Support ticket. Not even the courtesy of telling me to get lost was forthcoming. Stupid. It makes you question everything about them afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received my brand new sonic port, connected it to my ipad 3 iOS 7 and it does not work, comes up with the error message saying 'line 6 device not found'. I've tried using the other cable provided and running it through my iPhone 3GS and that doesn't work either. Massively disco pointed. Unless someone from admin here can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'm sending it back for a refund tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

Dont know if this will be any use to anyone as the thread seems quite old now. I hope it is!!

I have a Line 6 mobile in (used with Ipad 3rd gen) that i hadn't used in a long while as it was becoming unstable, cutting out and randomly outputing white noise before refusing to work at all.

I submitted a fault ticket with Line 6, hadn't heard a thing from them in over a week. In the meantime i updated my ipad with IOS 8.1.2, tried the mobile in again and Lo and Behold!!, the bleed'n thing started working again flawlessly and has been great up to now!.. Might be worth trying out again if you still have yours!

Not very impressed by Line 6 customer services!

• Upvote 1