Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So glad I switched back to a Les Paul

357mag

I used to always take my guitars and talk in to the pickups and make it come out of the amps after being changed by the effects. 

Of course, that was also back in the days when a truck driver's CB communications would be over heard through the amps as they drove by. 

Oh my gosh, I did the same thing. My pickups windings were so loose, you could almost make out the words. That and sticking the TV remote near it while pressing remote buttons.

Electric guitar tone wood is pretty unrelated to how they sound.The neck wood on the other hand has an influence.

An electric guitar is not an acoustic guitar.If electric guitar tone wood was that important it would be very expensive to make these Variaxes.They would have to have top quality cork smeller tone woods throughout and be blessed by a priest.Smeller rather than sniffer I say!

• Upvote 1

Oh my gosh, I did the same thing. My pickups windings were so loose, you could almost make out the words. That and sticking the TV remote near it while pressing remote buttons.

But it wasn't cheap guitars the way the "angry video man" said. 

It was multiple nice guitars. At least two Gibson guitars (and 3 if you count one that wasn't mine but I used often). At least one Carvin. Numerous BC Rich (although, they are hardly considered high end guitars).

My Jackson guitars were always active. They never did it. I have since picked up a few used ones that are passive. I wonder if they would do it if I tried. 

I would make it part of the show. Think about songs like Radioactive by The Firm. Songs that needed a modified voice like that one, they could be done through the guitar.

But I never had a remote control tv in my studio. So i haven't a clue what you are talking about with that one. 

• Upvote 1

But it wasn't cheap guitars the way the "angry video man" said. 

It was multiple nice guitars. At least two Gibson guitars (and 3 if you count one that wasn't mine but I used often). At least one Carvin. Numerous BC Rich (although, they are hardly considered high end guitars).

My Jackson guitars were always active. They never did it. I have since picked up a few used ones that are passive. I wonder if they would do it if I tried. 

I would make it part of the show. Think about songs like Radioactive by The Firm. Songs that needed a modified voice like that one, they could be done through the guitar.

But I never had a remote control tv in my studio. So i haven't a clue what you are talking about with that one. 

Yeah, I had (have) an SG I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in. That was the pickup that worked the best for that. It wasn't potted and, as we know, the Gibson pickups were. Currently has two Seymour Duncan JB's in it. I actually tried soaking the DiMarzio in wax per EVH but it didn't seem to make that much of a diffference. Re.: the TV remote made a buzzing sound through the pickup when you pressed any of the buttons. Not that dramatic or cool but with effects you could have some fun with it.

work out by checking the first comment I did on topic. The one exactly before YOUR video? The one you quote me? Remember? 

As I did point out earlier, your belief is not supported by any evidence. You responded by making the discussion about Chapman's supposed dishonesty, which compounded your logical error. If I were you, I would leave it at that.

As I did point out earlier, your belief is not supported by any evidence. You responded by making the discussion about Chapman's supposed dishonesty, which compounded your logical error. If I were you, I would leave it at that.

So your eyes are not working or your brain is not, since my first answer on the topic was i don't believe.. You want evidence. <<Regarding your evidence>> Check out this: 

Different guitarists with same setup. Different sound. Or your ears are also not working? And why should I leave? For you to bully around? 

BTW, the phrase "leave it at that" does not mean 'leave the thread', it only means 'stop pushing the logical fallacy as it has now become embarrassing'. This is not bullying. It is simply a polite suggestion.

Yeah, whatever, if it makes you happy like this, ok :)

• Upvote 1

Oh for God's sake, these aren't mathematical theorems...it's ALL SUBJECTIVE. It's impossible to "prove" anyting either way. Those who want the wood to make a huge difference will hear it, and others won't.

Present the average person with 2 bottles of wine...fill them both with the same stuff, and tell 'em one is $200 and the other one is six bucks...9/10 will tell you the pricey bottle tastes better. Who's right? Nobody.

My modeler sounds better since I mounted it on a Rosewood base plate.  I've heard some people using Ebony but Rosewood gives a more organic tone.

Sheeeesh - we need to pass out Snickers bars to some of the people in here.  They turn into real Divas when they're hungry.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how much of the snark is aimed at me, but since it keeps on coming, let me make something clear.

This discussion went off the rails when Arislaf accused Rob Chapman of producing a fraudulent demo for personal financial gain (and yes, that is the correct definition of 'fraudulent'). That is why I pointed out to Arislaf that he had taken his initial logical fallacy of argument from assertion into fully unacceptable territory. With this in mind, if some of the snark is directed at me, perhaps it is unwarranted in this case.

Ironically - I knew the grandson of one of the guys who worked for (I think it was Kodak) the company who made the camera film. His grandfather claimed the film never survived the Van Allen radiation belt.

Nevertheless its not me who is the doubter! :)

Ironically - I knew the grandson of one of the guys who worked for (I think it was Kodak) the company who made the camera film. His grandfather claimed the film never survived the Van Allen radiation belt.

Nevertheless its not me who is the doubter! :)

My favorite story will always be from the Apollo 13 mission... the prank "towing bill" that the Grumman engineers sent to the guys at Rockwell (who had built the part of the craft that blew up). It was 1970 dollars of course, but if memory serves they were asking for $4 for the first mile and $1 for each additional mile....for something like a 400,000 mile trip from the point where the accident occurred.

Who says engineers have no sense of humor? ;)

• Upvote 1

That's the copper oxidising in the 'nickel silver' fretwire (no silver but ~80% copper). Sounds like you live by the sea...

Peace, btw.

Actually I am a seaman, thanks for the info, and np, no hard feelings or something, we are on same team.

Malakas by the sea & Vlahos in the hills. :)

Yep, when some frets oxidize they turn green.

Bill, you cover me best answer ever: Seaman (sea), my main house is on mountain (vlahos) , and 6 months no woman (malakas)!  Are you spying me ?? :P

• Upvote 1