Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brand New JTV-89F; When using modelling everything sounds like synths and out of tune

I just got my Variax. Fine tuned the strings real quick and then installed Workbench. It downloaded to the Variax pretty quickly and then I started testing it out: Everything individual note and string (on any model and tuning I choose other than Standard) sounds like two guitars and gives off a synth type, gurgling sound.

Any ideas or did I do something wrong? How do I fix this!?

Apologies if this is stating the obvious, but are you sure you are not hearing a combination of direct sound from the guitar and the pitch-shifted signal from the amp?  It's just incredibly easy to fall into this trap - it takes surprisingly little leakage to make things sound awful.  To rule this out, try recording the guitar output and see if you hear the problem on playback.

• Upvote 2

I just got my Variax. Fine tuned the strings real quick and then installed Workbench. It downloaded to the Variax pretty quickly and then I started testing it out: Everything individual note and string (on any model and tuning I choose other than Standard) sounds like two guitars and gives off a synth type, gurgling sound.

Any ideas or did I do something wrong? How do I fix this!?

Hi "Ireland175",

In your original comment, there are a few things that aren't quite clear to me.

1: You "fine tuned the strings" - at this point, was the Variax plugged in and sounding like a regular guitar?

2: You "installed Workbench" - you don't state which version, please check it is the correct version for your model.

3: You say "It downloaded to the Variax pretty quickly and then I started testing it out" - now I'm confused as to what "it" was that downloaded to the Varax?. Your Variax comes pre-loaded with standard factory models, Workbench allows you to modify them or create "custom" models that can then be loaded into your Variax. Maybe you have inadvertently downloaded some corrupt or incompatible patches that are causing a problem.

4: May I suggest that, if you haven't done so already, you perform a factory reset on you Variax and see if it comes back as a "box fresh" version (see owners manual, Pilot Guide - page 14).

If that fails and you cannot restore your Variax to Factory, than I suggest that you to raise a ticket with customer support.

Hope this helps.

LATE  EDIT:

I just remembered that the Factory Reset changed - see this:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/james-tyler-variax-general-faq-r31

Factory Reset and Updating the Flash Memory

Q: Why doesn't the Factory Reset procedure described in the manual work?

A: The reset procedure described in the JTV manual was removed from the JTV guitars to make room in the memory for the Variax HD Acoustic models that were added in flash memory update v1.80. All JTV guitars with flash memory v1.80 and newer no longer have this factory reset procedure available.

To perform a factory reset, re-install, rollback, or update the flash memory on the James Tyler Variax guitars, please use the following link:

Variax Reflash and Software update F.A.Q.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/variax-reflash-and-software-update-instructions-r103

• Upvote 1

I've notice the exact same thing with my 89F - It is especially noticeable with acoustic 12string models. You can definitely hear the octavator at work.  It sounds great when I'm playing in the lower register, but the higher up the scale I go the more and more it sounds like a synthesizer and a lot less of an accoustic guitar.

I have been able to tone down this synth sound with the use of EQs but I can't get the synth sound out completely.. Is this normal, or should I capture a recording and post it to a support ticket???

I've notice the exact same thing with my 89F - It is especially noticeable with acoustic 12string models. You can definitely hear the octavator at work. It sounds great when I'm playing in the lower register, but the higher up the scale I go the more and more it sounds like a synthesizer and a lot less of an accoustic guitar.

I have been able to tone down this synth sound with the use of EQs but I can't get the synth sound out completely.. Is this normal, or should I capture a recording and post it to a support ticket???

The 12 string models are underwhelming and rather artificial, as you've noted...in my experience, there's little you can do to improve them. They are what they are.

The 6 string acoustic models however, can be made to sound quite good, provided that you're listening through some kind of FRFR output... (good) headphones, studio monitors, PA speaker(s), etc. If you're playing through a "real" guitar amp/cab, you can abandon all hope of ever getting convincing acoustic tones. The frequency response just isn't there. You can twiddle EQ knobs until the end of time, and it ain't gonna happen.

The 12 string models are underwhelming and rather artificial, as you've noted...in my experience, there's little you can do to improve them. They are what they are.

The 6 string acoustic models however, can be made to sound quite good, provided that you're listening through some kind of FRFR output... (good) headphones, studio monitors, PA speaker(s), etc. If you're playing through a "real" guitar amp/cab, you can abandon all hope of ever getting convincing acoustic tones. The frequency response just isn't there. You can twiddle EQ knobs until the end of time, and it ain't gonna happen.

Does this include just using the power tubes in the 4cm with the helix?

Does this include just using the power tubes in the 4cm with the helix?

The frequency response of the speaker(s) is the issue, it's got nothing to do with the power source. If you're playing through a traditional guitar cabinet or combo, then convincing acoustic tones will forever elude you. You can plug an actual acoustic guitar into a the clean channel of a regular guitar amp, and what you get sounds a whole lot closer to a clean electric than an acoustic. Regular guitar amp speakers simply cannot produce the range of frequencies that make an acoustic guitar sound like what it is. You need an FRFR solution for that.

Currently I don't use an amp with my Variax. I use my Roland sound card and Presonus studio monitors along with 500X. I decided to look back at the videos posted of the Variax and its clear not one of them dare move down the neck to the higher frequencies, and now I know why. They don't sound like a real acoustic. The higher the frequency the more it sounds like a synth.

I'm not sure how far down the neck you need to move to hear the synth effect?

I do use a modeled acoustic guitar amp though, whenever I put the variax into acoustic mode, so maybe that's a solution.

I'm not exactly sure and I wish I could test it an let you know.

I did have some success with the acoustic modeled amp as well. But my JTV has some issues and I'm working with support to get them resolved.

If I get my JTV issues resolve I'll have to see if I can record what I hear and share it. Or at least answer your question.

I do appreciate the input as well..

Apologies if this is stating the obvious, but are you sure you are not hearing a combination of direct sound from the guitar and the pitch-shifted signal from the amp?  It's just incredibly easy to fall into this trap - it takes surprisingly little leakage to make things sound awful.  To rule this out, try recording the guitar output and see if you hear the problem on playback.

+1

I have even had vibrations physically conduct via my headphone chord. 

When wearing IEMs or earplugs, I can easily hear the actual string sound by bone conduction through my ribs.  Have learned to let the guitar fall away from my body a bit during quiet spots in a tune where I'm using pitch shift.