Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vote Up! Navigate Helix Amp & FX Models w/ Footswitches.

MusicLaw

Can Helix's onboard footswitches be used to navigate through the available Amps, Preamps, Amp+Cab, and various FX Type models of a selected Block? Can the Footswitch Controller Assign feature do this? Is there any method other than rotating or toggling the Joystick?

I would like to be able to audition each model type while playing guitar without having to stop and use my hands to rotate or toggle the joystick.

I know that for a currently selected Block -- Foot Edit Mode -- displays that model's parameter values on the scribble strips, and pressing a parameter's footswitch selects it allowing adjustment via the Value - and Value + footswitches, or, by the Treadle (and that there are page fwd and rev, back, exit and save fsws).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to create a new preset with path 1 containing, for example, 3 Blocks. One an Amp+Cab Block, one an Amp Block, and a Cab Block. Using the footswitches I'd like to audition each Block's Helix Models to hear each, one at a time while playing guitar. I would expect to be able to use the footswitches to Bypass the Blocks, as desired, to isolate just the Block(s) I wish to hear. Adding to the Path the same could be done with other FX type models for additional blocks. All without having to use hands on the Helix.

Curently, I'm finding I need to reach out and toggle or rotate the joystick to navigate the Models, regardless, if I have the Model List displayed or only one Model at a time displayed above the value knobs near the bottom of the screen.

I am not using the Helix with a computer nor the Editor (except for firmware updates, backups, restores, etc.)

If this has been asked and answered, please direct me to that thread. Otherwise, I may post this to IdeaScale. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

As things stand now, you could put the looper in front of the audition candidates, play into it, and just let it run while you dial in the different models/parameters.

Not as immediate, but you could land on something, pause the looper, play live to flesh out, then get the looper going again and continue navigating.

Voted. I asked this same question some months ago, thought there was already an IdeaScale item for it, but if there is I couldn't find it.

I think what makes this hard is the UI for it. A single-level list of the available models would be long and unwieldy, and a hierarchical menu like in the main UI would be a bit tricky to navigate, and a first for pedal edit mode.

Voted. I asked this same question some months ago, thought there was already an IdeaScale item for it, but if there is I couldn't find it.

I think what makes this hard is the UI for it. A single-level list of the available models would be long and unwieldy, and a hierarchical menu like in the main UI would be a bit tricky to navigate, and a first for pedal edit mode.

Either of the existing displays in the main display (list or single line) would be fine. The scribble strips would show as many models as would fit per set of scribble strips available, similar as they now do in Foot Edit mode. The difference is that Foot Edit mode, offers up parameters as they appear also on "Pages" at the bottom of the main display, and those parameters also correlate to knob controllers. In such a new "Model" Selection (or Edit) Mode the footswitches labeled as Page Advance or Back should, be Model - and Model +.

Pages show more parameters, not more values for the current one (the hypothetical "Block Type" parameter), which is what we'd need.

Also, once you can add blocks and change their type, next we'd want to be able to move and delete them, and we're down another limited-UI rathole.

Anyway, I think it's clear that Line 6 has some excellent UI designers on board, and I'm sure they've thought through all of this to at least some extent -- if only to so far decide that they weren't going to build that. Like you, I hope they come up with something, but they're clearly better at this than we are.

Anyway anyway, this feature is nowhere near as critical to me as getting everything stable again.

• 6 months later...

Really curious what's the status on this one. I'm new to Ideascale and how Line6 works with this, so I can't judge "in Review"-

I disagree with those thinking this is for lazy people. Helix has sooo many blocks to offer, that even experienced editors, knowing all the blocks by hard, will find themselves in situations where you just have to tryout a bunch of them. Doing this, it is not just annoying / incovenient to bow down to the Helix. It interupts the playing and therefore makes comparing harder; takes focus away from finding the right block.

With the current build (2.21) you hold "Mode" for 2 seconds to come into "Parameter Edit Mode".

I wanna suggest to go a step further and add the whole navigation on the main display to a second level Edit Mode:

If you hold the button for 2 additional seconds, you come into "Block Edit Mode", which gives all the joysticks features + Bypass and Action to a whole new layer.

From the block edit mode, you can navigate and highlight everything like you would with the joystick. 

Example for my suggested solution:

I want to insert a new block on position 4 of Path 1A.

1. Hold MODE for 2 seconds to come to Parameter Edit mode

2. DONT STOP HOLDING for 2 more seconds to get into Block Edit Mode

3a. either press Enter for the list of all blocks and traverse with up, left, right, bottom

3b. traverse blocks with "prev" and "next" (maybe bad wording) > equvialent for spinning the joystick

4. Move to Slot 5 with "right"

5a / b. add another block

6. Realizing I want to switch positions, press Action

7. Push it left via "left"

8. "next", "next", "next", "That's the one!"

9. Press Parameter to get into the parameter edit mode directly for this block

10. Tweak some parameters

11. This is the only caveat in my solution so far. Getting back from this screen to the Block Edit Mode requires a new button; but currently everything is full. Maybe "Exit and Save" can go to "Back to Block Edit Mode" (only when you came to this screen from the Block Edit Mode)

12. Smile

I hope this rundown wasn't too confusing.

For potential clearness I visualized how the mode could look

post-2466044-0-21065100-1498518070.jpg

Thrilled to hear what you guys think.

PS: To make crystal clear which block is currently highlighted the Foot LEDs of UP,  LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT (and maybe PREV and NEXT) could get the color of the highlighted block.

post-2466044-0-21065100-1498518070_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Really curious what's the status on this one. I'm new to Ideascale and how Line6 works with this, so I can't judge "in Review"-

I disagree with those thinking this is for lazy people. Helix has sooo many blocks to offer, that even experienced editors, knowing all the blocks by hard, will find themselves in situations where you just have to tryout a bunch of them. Doing this, it is not just annoying / incovenient to bow down to the Helix. It interupts the playing and therefore makes comparing harder; takes focus away from finding the right block.

With the current build (2.21) you hold "Mode" for 2 seconds to come into "Parameter Edit Mode".

I wanna suggest to go a step further and add the whole navigation on the main display to a second level Edit Mode:

If you hold the button for 2 additional seconds, you come into "Block Edit Mode", which gives all the joysticks features + Bypass and Action to a whole new layer.

From the block edit mode, you can navigate and highlight everything like you would with the joystick.

Example for my suggested solution:

I want to insert a new block on position 4 of Path 1A.

1. Hold MODE for 2 seconds to come to Parameter Edit mode

2. DONT STOP HOLDING for 2 more seconds to get into Block Edit Mode

3a. either press Enter for the list of all blocks and traverse with up, left, right, bottom

3b. traverse blocks with "prev" and "next" (maybe bad wording) > equvialent for spinning the joystick

4. Move to Slot 5 with "right"

5a / b. add another block

6. Realizing I want to switch positions, press Action

7. Push it left via "left"

8. "next", "next", "next", "That's the one!"

9. Press Parameter to get into the parameter edit mode directly for this block

10. Tweak some parameters

11. This is the only caveat in my solution so far. Getting back from this screen to the Block Edit Mode requires a new button; but currently everything is full. Maybe "Exit and Save" can go to "Back to Block Edit Mode" (only when you came to this screen from the Block Edit Mode)

12. Smile

I hope this rundown wasn't too confusing.

For potential clearness I visualized how the mode could look

post-2466044-0-21065100-1498518070.jpg

Thrilled to hear what you guys think.

PS: To make crystal clear which block is currently highlighted the Foot LEDs of UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT (and maybe PREV and NEXT) could get the color of the highlighted block.

Ultimately I would leave it up to Line6 to refine the implementation but your proposal seems really well thought out and most importantly captures the major functions that would have to be translated to the switches.

• Upvote 1

I think your suggestion is valid as a stand-alone on IdeaScale. So if you choose to do so, I'll gladly vote for it. Also be sure to place cross linked URLs in your new IdeaScale submission and this one, so anybody visiting either can be aware of the other to vote up both.

My impression is that Line 6 will absorb everything appearing on IdeaScale, even though they do not moderate, remove, not edit the already accepted, implemented, or rejected submissions. If there is a downside to IdeaScale, it is this issue, that over time, too many redundant posts exist. Your idea is by no means redundant. It is certainly a valid feature expansion for Pedal Edit mode, regardless if Line 6 also embraces the Model Selection feature.

Also, if you do add a separate IdeaScale submission, place a post about it to the massive Helix Thread on TGP. Or, create a new Thread on TGP in the Gear > Digital and Modeling sub-forum.

• Upvote 1

As things stand now, you could put the looper in front of the audition candidates, play into it, and just let it run while you dial in the different models/parameters.

Not as immediate, but you could land on something, pause the looper, play live to flesh out, then get the looper going again and continue navigating.

This is exactly what I do. The first block on 100% of my patches is a looper.