Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 Dual Output

d_sic3

Hi Everyone,

I know there are a lot of topics about dual output, but I am not sure if what I want to achieve has been discussed already.  I am not well versed with the connections and I am trying to understand everything yet, so please bear with me.

Here goes...

I am currently in 4CM with my Laney IRT Studio amp.  Tone is good and I am not using any amp in the POD - just the fx loop.  Then it came to a point that I wanted more headroom.  Since I love the sound of the little guy and I seldom do big gigs, I am looking into getting a power amp just to make it louder when needed.  Asked Laney and they advised me to use the DI at the back and connect it into a power amp.  

With that, I've thought about this connection and I am not sure if it's possible.

So, since my right output jack in the POD is not being used (currently using the left mono output only - see attached file "current setup"),

I thought of connecting it to the power amp as well. But, I'd like to add an amp sim to that channel to achieve a dual amp output.

My question is:

1. Is this routing possible?  Channel A goes to the Laney (via 4cm) > Power Amp (via DI) > Cab, then Channel B (with Amp Sims) goes directly to a power amp > Cab.

2. I've read from foobazaar that there is a mix of each channel after the mixer.  So I might not be able to get true stereo sound wherein Channel A is pure Laney and Channel B is pure POD amp sound.

Cab is a 2x12 stereo.

Please enlighten me.  Your help is very much appreciated.

Note: I've attached a pic of my current setup and the setup I wanted to achieve if that gives a better view. :)

post-560531-0-07645400-1480912795_thumb.jpg

post-560531-0-42788300-1480912801_thumb.jpg

Yes you can achieve this panning hard left and right both path in mixer, so path are isolated on their own output

I would say

Input setting = same

Pre section : nothing

PathA :  stomps and whatever you need -> FX Loop -> Mixer 100% left

PathB :  stomps and whatever you need -> Amp sim -> mixer 100% right

Stereo effect are ony possible so, if you place it after mixer and then make it spread on both amp

An alternate solution is possible with

• Input : guitar +variax
  • Inserting the first stomp (not stereo) in pre section, a noise gate can be placed before path routing (separation), input will be a bit lowered due to signal split, a commpressor can help reboost if needed

Panning hard left and right, and not putting any effects before the split should do the trick to get that signal without the coloration of the other channel - this is good news!  I just want a completely unaltered tone in each channel.  Thank you for this.

"Inserting the first stomp (not stereo) in pre section, a noise gate can be placed before path routing (separation), input will be a bit lowered due to signal split, a commpressor can help reboost if needed"

May I know how to set-up the compressor?   I am assuming this is the tube compressor, yes?

Do you have to put it per channel or after the mixer?  What would be the optimum setting?

"And i would add using mixer panning to mix a bit both path on both amp could be nice in a second time to achieve overtone"

- I am not sure if I understand this.  Please elaborate a bit.  :)

What should also be a good output to choose for the POD?  Studio/Direct or Stack Power Amp?

Again thank you for taking time to answer my query.

For compressor or mono stomp , it's in the four location in pre section on the left in picture

It's used to avoid using "same" input value that dupicate your guitar input and resend it in pathB, it tends to create phase problem on input signal.

For comp , i would say the one you prefer :) , if you do not feel the need to reboost the signal you don't need, i often use tube comp at 80% Thresold and 10% gain

For overtones stuff : if you have 2 channel A and B with different amp and tones, panning 75% one channel will melt A and B to create a new tone, with distortion it help having a fatter sound , like guitar layering during recording

For output setting : If you do not define a cab in path B where you want to put an amp sim, both works and are equivalent

with a cab defined , studio direct will provide you with the cab emulation going through power amp and cab, personnay i don't use cause you already go through a guitar cab

stack power amp will disable cab emulation and provide live cab (an equalisation based on cab choosen) personnaly i don't use due to the fact it's a cab equalization going ...... through another cab.... useless

A key point in the config you want to achieve is not putting effect after the mixer cause this is what separate both channel.

Adding a mono effect will remix both path on both output, and stereo one (like stereo delay) will have one half per channel

1.png

Yes you are right, I will not be using a cab on any channel.  So the best bet from what I understand is Studio/Direct, with cab disabled.

A key point in the config you want to achieve is not putting effect after the mixer cause this is what separate both channel.

Adding a mono effect will remix both path on both output, and stereo one (like stereo delay) will have one half per channel

- Are you saying that if I want to use a stereo effect, I can place it after the mixer and just add a mono effect after it to get a stereo signal?  Please see attached pic if I am doing it right and please check if I got the other effects, amp and fx loop correct as well. :)

- What could possibly happen if I only put the stereo effect in one channel only (channel A)? Sorry, I can't test it right now.

post-560531-0-74733000-1481023588_thumb.png

you can like them or not, but the real purpose of the Live Voiced cabs (ie special EQ curves) is not to represent in a equalized form the chosen cab as such, but rather to help make (or disguise) a typical external cab for guitar (ie with a typical frequency response) to sound in a similar manner to the one eventually chosen in the patch (but not miked), and therefore what they do (well or badly) is only complementary to the external guitar cab (not FRFR), so I would not say that they are useless as you said..

however the cab IRs (full representations of true miked cabs available only in Studio/Direct output mode) would never sound like the originals through external guitar cabs (not FRFR)..

nevertheless you may prefer the results of a solution over another, but that's a different matter

Thank you for that insight hurghanico.  What output do you recommed on my setup (POD > Power Amp > Cab)?

you can like them or not, but the real purpose of the Live Voiced cabs (ie special EQ curves) is not to represent in a equalized form the chosen cab as such, but rather to help make (or disguise) a typical external cab for guitar (ie with a typical frequency response) to sound in a similar manner to the one eventually chosen in the patch (but not miked), and therefore what they do (well or badly) is only complementary to the external guitar cab (not FRFR), so I would not say that they are useless as you said..

however the cab IRs (full representations of true miked cabs available only in Studio/Direct output mode) would never sound like the originals through external guitar cabs (not FRFR)..

nevertheless you may prefer the results of a solution over another, but that's a different matter

That is why i've headed my opinion with Personnaly :D

I've tried Live cab , and never noticed a significant value added, it gives some good result (using XXXL Treadplate) scooping a cab, but globally this is not masterable as real cab behind will tint the sound so much.

Even technicaly i don't believe this feature as How can you mimic a cab (applying eq) on a real cab you do not know frequency response, usabe with flat response cab, but very pronounced ones will give surprising result.

After of course it's just a matter a taste, needs, feeling, I agree , i struggled so long with my pod to agree that everyone has to find what works with his gear and perception. :D

@D_sic3

No you can't stereo to mono and so on  , in fact routing in POD is  1 stereo path spitted in 2 stereo PATH A/B then mixed in 1 stereo path to output

So monoing Path A to left and Path B to right  will resut after the mixer to the same so if you apply stereo delay after the mixer you 'll hear in laney IRT Left settings of echo and in power amp + cab Right setting of echo

If you use mono effect you 'll hear Lany IRT preamp and Amp sim (PathB .) on both amp/output

I hope i'm clear :)

You're welcome

I believe i was wrong on POD routing , maybe Power User will confirm or not routing is

pre is Dual mono splitted in 2 stereo PATH mixed down to stereo

This details is important because with input1 set to guitar and input2 let's say whatever but not same, nothing will be sent to pathB