Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Arg - Volume Pedal bug not fixed in 2.10!

haller88

I see we have a new firmware update so I quickly downloaded it hoping it would address the volume pedal dropping to zero random bug that I have been suffering with since I bought the unit. I did go through the Read Me and discovered that they hadn't fixed it outright but had a workaround by deleting the volume pedal and adding it back in. I did that on all of my primary patches and starting playing - 10 minutes into practice - volume pedal bug is still alive and well! My volume dropped to zero. I changed to another patch - 5 minutes in -> 0 volume again.

Not happy...

I guess I will relent and delete the volume pedal block where I can - in other cases I will turn it off and leave it in the chain and only turn it on when I am doing those Steve Hackett volume swells in the middle of a song.

On the bright side - have heard good things about the added amps - I am hoping the distortion pedal is useful also...

I've tried deleting and adding the block back in as well, to no avail.

I am wondering if everyone has the bug. I'd like to see a screen shot of the signal chain of someone that does not have the bug. Just curious to see if it is block placement, what is before/after in the chain, or if the block is set up for linear/logarithmic. 

If everyone has the bug, then it doesn't matter. We'll just wait for a firmware fix. I finally had it happen to me while playing at church. Not devastating, but definitely distracting. At least I knew exactly what it was and just stepped on the pedal to get it back. 

I've tried deleting and adding the block back in as well, to no avail.

I am wondering if everyone has the bug. I'd like to see a screen shot of the signal chain of someone that does not have the bug. Just curious to see if it is block placement, what is before/after in the chain, or if the block is set up for linear/logarithmic.

If everyone has the bug, then it doesn't matter. We'll just wait for a firmware fix. I finally had it happen to me while playing at church. Not devastating, but definitely distracting. At least I knew exactly what it was and just stepped on the pedal to get it back.

Edit: I'm still on 2.01

Could it be a hardware thing?

I've never experienced this behaviour and had a volume block in all my presets since January, 60 gigs and a fair amount of home play/recording. (Set to global)

Kind of completely different as yours is switching to a value different to position?, but I did have something similar with Pod kidney bean v1 where a switched to preset, not related to knob positions could jump to values of a knob, not necessarily due to vibration, just jumping to the set position unless I zeroed knobs pre to choosing preset. They were digital pots? Vetta2 combo did it also but due to vibration, used strips of cut up mousemat with tight slots cutout for the knobs.

It shouldn't be a hardware thing if their expression pedal is using a potentiometer, which it seems to be. An analog value from a potentiometer gives pedal position, and not a change of position. 

The on-board pedal isn't potentiometer-based. It's optical.

I also have never experienced this particular issue, and I have a volume pedal block in nearly every one of my patches - two in some of them, actually.

Hmm, not everyone has the issue. Interesting...

I did also notice last time the volume randomly went to 1%, it was not instantaneous. It took 1-2 seconds for the volume to go from 100% to 1%.  Line 6 support emailed me about the issue and insisted that rebuilding the patch by deleting the volume block, saving, then adding the volume block again fixes the issue. I am waiting to give that a try once I catch which preset is doing it again. 

I realize some people have never seen this problem.  I am seeing it after the 2.1 update after importing pre 2.1 saved presets back into the helix.  I'll have some time to try to fix it tonight will update if I have any luck.  Saw it yesterday right in the middle of a set - volume just went to 0 and I had to move the pedal to get the volume back.

I see it when I use the volume pedal early in the chain. I will be playing for 20 or 30 minutes and suddenly it drops to 0% volume. I touch the volume pedal and it goes back up to 100%. I know that when I posted this with a prior firmware - I had about 5 or 6 people respond with similar issues. It is interesting that Line 6 even calls out the work around in their release notes. Sounds like I will only turn on the volume pedal if I am going to use it in a patch for volume swells. Other wise either delete it in the chain or leave it off...

Factory SetList 2 > Preset 03B BackWahrds.

This Factory Preset has a bypassed Vol Pedal Block as the first element in Path 1A. The Block is Controller Assigned! It's default position value of 100 appears in White and in Square Brackets above Knob 1. Simply selecting and watch this Preset, resulted in the value changing to 1%!? Unfortunately, this is an intermittent behavior.

This all on a brand new Helix updated to 2.10 with no custom Presets save, defined, etc. I did change several of the Line Level Global Settings.

Factory SetList 2 > Preset 03B BackWahrds.

This Factory Preset has a bypassed Vol Pedal Block as the first element in Path 1A. The Block is Controller Assigned! It's default position value of 100 appears in White and in Square Brackets above Knob 1. Simply selecting and watch this Preset, resulted in the value changing to 1%!? Unfortunately, this is an intermittent behavior.

This all on a brand new Helix updated to 2.10 with no custom Presets save, defined, etc. I did change several of the Line Level Global Settings.

I believe that the default EXP Position setting for EXP1, 2 and 3 is "per preset", so it is possible that this preset was saved with the expression pedal in the heel position (it's actually quite easy to do accidentally). So with the "per preset" or "per snapshot" setting, when you go to a preset, the actual position of the pedal is ignored, and the parameters go to whatever value they were at when the preset (or snapshot) was saved.

I've seen it on my rack unit - I happened to 'think' I'd seen it in a previous firmware, but wasn't sure.

I use EXP1 for Wah functions mainly, though occasionally I have it repurposed to a different effect.

When the ability to set up auto-engage by position came along with v2.10, I set up an 'auto-wah' ... and soon after was greeted with a wah coming on by itself, at what it had mistakenly read as position 1%. It had not left the parked position I'd set, which was toe-down.

I've seen it on my rack unit - I happened to 'think' I'd seen it in a previous firmware, but wasn't sure.

I use EXP1 for Wah functions mainly, though occasionally I have it repurposed to a different effect.

When the ability to set up auto-engage by position came along with v2.10, I set up an 'auto-wah' ... and soon after was greeted with a wah coming on by itself, at what it had mistakenly read as position 1%. It had not left the parked position I'd set, which was toe-down.

Same experience for me on the floor model, with a brand new preset (I bought the Helix the day 2.10 was released anyway).