Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix suddenly sounding terrible... :(

FarleyUK

Oh Gods of Helix, please shine thy wisdom upon me!

So, after a good first FrFr gig, I've today give and started to practice using the same patch.... And it sounds awful. Really nasty and bloated.

Tried using a cable instead of wireless, tried a different guitar, unplugged everything from the Helix besides in and out. Still sounds awful.

Started from scratch again, and still poor.

Here's a video - http://sendvid.com/joiaabdm

I've already got the cab low cut quite high, the amp is default settings, and even have the low pass filter on the K10 engaged

Anyone have any ideas? Really frustrating!

i've been noticing that a lot of my patches are very volume specific, what sounds great at high volume doesn't sound good at low volume and vice-a-versa.

Is this maybe the case? Your practice is a very different volume to your gig? Also where is your output volume set? around the same? I find if it is set low the sound is not so good. Hope this helps

Hi. Same thing happened to me at a corporate gig saturday. Half way through. Bloated bass and nasty digital distortion.

Tried resetting firmware, resetting, building new patches, changing patch cables, xlr's and finally speakers. Same. Needless to say going in to the shop tomorrow.

Hi. Same thing happened to me at a corporate gig saturday. Half way through. Bloated bass and nasty digital distortion.

Tried resetting firmware, resetting, building new patches, changing patch cables, xlr's and finally speakers. Same. Needless to say going in to the shop tomorrow.

Oh balls. It's only been back a month since the last repair!

When this has happened to me, I usually find that I have turned the volume up on my guitar higher than I had it when I put together the patch, and I'm now introducing more OD than the patch can handle cleanly. I've gotten to paying strict attention to where I keep my guitar volume both when making patches and when playing with the band, especially if the patch has a fair amount of distortion to it, so I maintain the same tone I was originally looking for.

... I've gotten to paying strict attention to where I keep my guitar volume both when making patches and when playing with the band, especially if the patch has a fair amount of distortion to it, so I maintain the same tone I was originally looking for.

Interesting point. I often design my presets with my guitar's volume and tone backed off a bit, say around 7 on a '1-10' knob. My thought is that way I have room to adjust up or down depending on how the preset sounds at the gig and also if I unexpectedly use a different guitar with a preset. Same reason I don't design my presets with the large volume knob on the Helix all the way up. I like to leave some room for quick adjustments.

Interesting point. I often design my presets with my guitar's volume and tone backed off a bit, say around 7 on a '1-10' knob. My thought is that way I have room to adjust up or down depending on how the preset sounds at the gig and also if I unexpectedly use a different guitar with a preset. Same reason I don't design my presets with the large volume knob on the Helix all the way up. I like to leave some room for quick adjustments.

I do the same thing, I usually keep my guitar volume at 7, and often adjust it while playing with the band. But I find that certain presets get funky really fast with just a little added input volume. It's just something to keep in mind if a preset sounds good one night and not so good the next.

When this has happened to me, I usually find that I have turned the volume up on my guitar higher than I had it when I put together the patch, and I'm now introducing more OD than the patch can handle cleanly. I've gotten to paying strict attention to where I keep my guitar volume both when making patches and when playing with the band, especially if the patch has a fair amount of distortion to it, so I maintain the same tone I was originally looking for.

I always run the guitar at 10 - like I said, it sounded good at the gig so I don't think it would be to do with this.

I did the 10-11 reset to rebuild patches. When it came on it was giving a harsh sound to my speaker with big volume on knob on 0!

Every patch.

I finally shut it off and turned it back on. The big volume knob started working again. Not sure if this is a product of 2.10 but this is starting to make me re think the longevity of the helix. Anyhow mines going back to the shop today. Hopefully for an exchange.

I did the 10-11 reset to rebuild patches. When it came on it was giving a harsh sound to my speaker with big volume on knob on 0!

Every patch.

I finally shut it off and turned it back on. The big volume knob started working again. Not sure if this is a product of 2.10 but this is starting to make me re think the longevity of the helix. Anyhow mines going back to the shop today. Hopefully for an exchange.

I'm wondering if my Helix has not been quite right ever since I had it, as it's only in teh last 2 weeks I've been going FrFr; from listening to everyone's clips and videos online, I couldn't get a sound like that out of it (sure, i got a sound I thought was OK at my gig last week, but it feels like maybe there's a lot more I'm missing out on).

Will be interesting to see how the replacement one holds up. Needless to say, if it's not on 2.10, I won't be upgrading it!

• 10 months later...

i had mine suddenly go very dull when i saved a patch - for some reason auto impedence was changing to a very low setting on that patch .. just woke and didn't have time to read all posts here but check impedence setting is one thing on the checklist for bad sounding helix fixes

• Upvote 1

Ive tried em all, the ohms. Same nasty sound. Cant get the warmth. Done resets! But when i look at others....who just have a amp/cab block....it sounds good!! Is there something wrong with my unit??

We're going to need a bit more info to figure out what's going on such as:  What is your setup like for output (FRFR, Loop in on Amp, 4CM, etc.).  Does this affect all presets including the ones from the factory?  Did this just start or has it been this way from the beginning?  When you say you LOOK at others with just an amp/cab block it sounds good, do you mean it sounds good on a video or on your system?

There's not a whole lot to go on based on what you're describing here.

• 2 weeks later...

Good on video!

Have a powered PA, xlr out. Tried the "RETURN IN" (Power tubes) on my H&K switchblade aswell...no good.

No, it has sounded the same since i got it.

My own presets sounds best. No factory preset sounds good

No preset sounds good in headphones....i have five headphones, marshall and mötörhead.....

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, kevron75 said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I searched the forum high and low and couldn't find an answer.

A little background on me.  I have used line 6 products going all the way back to the xt live, and have owned the HD 400, HD 500x, and the HD pro X, so I am quite familiar with the product line and how to get good tones. I also just came from using a Fractal Axe FX 2, so digital modeling is nothing new to me. 

I just picked up a used Helix today, and it had several great sounding patches from the previous owner. Well, I got to fiddling with it, and while I was playing in the global settings, I think I accidentally turned or clicked something because all of a sudden ALL of the patches sound VERY weak! I wish I could tell you what I did, but my fingers slipped as I was going through the menus, and I have no idea what I touched. 

I was creating a new patch based on the pv Panama with a mandarin 4x12 cab, and was getting a killer sound with the gain at 3.9. Very full and meaty. Now, I have to crank the gain to 10 and throw a screamer 808 in front just to get a usable amount of gain! This is obviously unacceptable. 

I have already done a reset using buttons 7 and 8, 9 and 10, and 5 and 6. So basically, this thing should be like a factory fresh Helix as this reset all patches and global settings. Problem is, the gain is still stupid weak! Please help because as it sits, this thing is useless! 

On 10/21/2019 at 2:23 AM, kevron75 said:

So, weird thing. It magically started working again today. I didn't change anything. As long as it doesn't happen again, I think this is going to be a fun board! 

On 12/5/2016 at 10:03 PM, FarleyUK said:

Tried that - still getting that weird noise on the low notes, like it's flubby and no definition.

Tried Glenn's artist patches without changing anything - same thing :(

On 12/6/2016 at 7:48 AM, FarleyUK said:

I wondered that, so I built a new patch (just amp and cab), and it still happened :(

On 12/6/2016 at 4:57 PM, FarleyUK said:

I'm wondering if my Helix has not been quite right ever since I had it, as it's only in teh last 2 weeks I've been going FrFr; from listening to everyone's clips and videos online, I couldn't get a sound like that out of it (sure, i got a sound I thought was OK at my gig last week, but it feels like maybe there's a lot more I'm missing out on).

Will be interesting to see how the replacement one holds up. Needless to say, if it's not on 2.10, I won't be upgrading it!

On 11/2/2017 at 8:31 PM, walle666 said:

Hi!

My sounds the same as yours! Very irritating! Have you solved it ?

I have this issues every day, also with my old hd500 and podxt. But I had to say even with tu be amps and other pedal boards. When I try them in shops work amazingly, at home nothing the same. I also changed home but not town. I really start thinking there's something wrong in the air(I live in Italy). I really frustrated, this condition signed my guitarist life. My musician friends noticed these problems many times, it is unbelievable but there is no way to solve.