Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix internal clicking noises?

boynigel

does Helix utilize some kind of mechanical relays or anything else that could make noise?  i use my helix as an external clock for my protools rig via spdif and i frequently hear "clicks" coming from the inside of the helix.  understand that i'm not talking about clicks coming through the speakers.  i can't say whether or not the helix only makes these noises when it's sync'd to protools because when i'm playing my guitar through it (not connected to PT) i'd never be able to hear the clicks over the sound coming out of my monitor.  

Your Helix should be completely silent. The only thing I can think what might cause this is the power supply. Try it on a different outlet, preferably in a different location.

I would probably contact customer service or the place you bought it from. It shouldn't be doing that.

does Helix utilize some kind of mechanical relays or anything else that could make noise?  i use my helix as an external clock for my protools rig via spdif and i frequently hear "clicks" coming from the inside of the helix.  understand that i'm not talking about clicks coming through the speakers.  i can't say whether or not the helix only makes these noises when it's sync'd to protools because when i'm playing my guitar through it (not connected to PT) i'd never be able to hear the clicks over the sound coming out of my monitor.

FWIW, my Helix was delivered in the first batch out of the gate and periodically makes internal clicking noises. I also assumed this was some relay of sorts. No harm no foul in my case. It would be interesting to know if there is absolutely no mechanical relays.

Also, I have never had any issues with my unit including the vol blocks others are talking about. I do use the built in pedal for vol only in front of my chain and 2 boss pedals in exp 2 and 3 for time based and dirt pedals/ amp vol, gain and other related controls. New and old patches, no issues.

FWIW, my Helix was delivered in the first batch out of the gate and periodically makes internal clicking noises. I also assumed this was some relay of sorts. No harm no foul in my case. It would be interesting to know if there is absolutely no mechanical relays.

Also, I have never had any issues with my unit including the vol blocks others are talking about. I do use the built in pedal for vol only in front of my chain and 2 boss pedals in exp 2 and 3 for time based and dirt pedals/ amp vol, gain and other related controls. New and old patches, no issues.

i got mine a year ago this past october so i'm guessing mine is one of the original batches as well?  the clicks can be minutes apart, certainly not a steady thing but they're definitely there.  mine runs rock solid so i'm in no hurry to send it off unless it were to get totally buggy on me.  good to know i'm not the only one.

I think I hear a little click in mine once I have it on for a while. 

It will happen maybe once, or twice a session, no more than 3 times in a session so far since I had it.

My sessions can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. So Its there, but its no where near minutes apart for me like boynigel above says for him, its more like every 45 minutes to an hour and a half for me. 

Nothing I really concerned myself with. As I get great sound for everything I have really tried with so far.

The issues bugs I had before I don't have an issue with as updates on DAWs, and FW for HELIX fixed a good portion of it. Not to mention I learned how to work around/temp fix most of the little quirks. 

I have mine plugged into a rather nice, and expensive Furman power conditioner. Especially since other users here report similar then I don't think I will let it weigh on my mind at all anymore.

I like the HPU factor, no squirles for me. Year ago Oct as well.... Nothin but honey for me. I get their are bugs here and there, saw my buddy's kemp sound a little buzzed before. Restart and all the stars were back in order. Playing with him on the 18th, I can tell you my Helix sounds killer and stands side by side with this pro player. H factor is just awesome! Qq

I got the same

I hook up my Helix to my audiointerface XLR L&R out and Usb for IR testing and also when i use Vst,s in a Daw and of course when doing updates.

I got my Ada MP1 & my Tube amp in the loops of my Helix my Tube amp is hook up 4CM and the Ada just in & out

This clicking appear only when i have everything hook up as above and everything is on as soon as i unplug the USB cable it stops..

Also if i turn off my Ada and my tube amp it stops but not if i turn off only one off those and leave the other one on..

It also dissapear if i set helix to say 1/4 out only..

I havent tested to unplug the XLR yet and leave the usb cable hooked up to my computer..

Can anyone having clicking issues narrow the location inside Helix?

An unlikely thought might be material expansion, as certain parts get warm?

I unfortunately cannot. It only happens once every hour or two. No way to narrow it down with that. But I suspect your unlikely thought may have merit. Nothing im worried with as TVs do this, computers do it as well. Its not unheard of. Now if it were to happen every few minutes, I would be worried.

I also have one of the first Helix (in Holland anyways).

I have never heard any click. Wonder what you guys are hearing, sounds a bit off.

OP here.  it almost sounds like settling cracks which may be contributed to the temperature changing in the unit.  just a guess.  they're not uniform in volume or very loud.  i could be playing an acoustic with the helix at my feet and i'd never hear it.  

• 3 months later...

I too get intermittent clicks...several minutes apart...but I only seem to get this when the usb is plugged in.  I put it down to the hamsters that just startin mentioned, (nice!) Honestly, I doubt this is of any concern and to those who suggest their unit doesn't do this clearly hasn't heard it...its minuscule, and nothing to worry about.

Clicking like that usually indicates clock sync issues to me, especially in the case of SPDIF/AES connections.   Since the Helix can only act as wordclock master, make sure the other interface is slaving its clock to SPDIF/AES in.  

@OP - what is the other SPDIF device? 

does Helix utilize some kind of mechanical relays or anything else that could make noise?[...]

Maybe you hear something like a a very thin delayed sound of a repressed metal spring (on a footswitch). But I don't think so.

Don't think of it anymore, or you'll get a tinnitus ;)

do Line 6 staff ever chime in on these forums?  i'd like to hear what they think.  maybe i'll reach out to support.

Yes. They do.

If it bothers you too much, draw a support ticket.

My opinion is that the internals generate heat (processors) and the housing and other mechanical stuff expands a bit, causing some audible clicks with that expansion. I have noticed it after about 5 minutes of turning on the unit. 

There aren't any mechanical relays internally that I am aware of that would cause any audible clicking. 

JMO

• 2 years later...