Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Worst amp ever?

Guest G

Is this the worst amp ever created?  I can't find a good sound in it.  Even Paul Hindmarsh's patches sound horrible.  Very very very disappointed Line 6.  Mine is going on craigslist immediately.

Why would you put it on Craigslist rather than just return it where you got it?

Also, have you tried making your own presets or altering the presets in any way? Or are you just using the factory presets and presets you've downloaded? Judging a piece of modeling equipment by the presets only is kind of like trying on other people's clothes and telling them their wardrobes sucks because none of it fits you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I bought it on Reverb and finally gave up 3 weeks in.  Too late to return.  Luckily I only paid $340 so I won't lose too much.  

A Helix amp with the wireless G10 built in would be perfect.  The spiders are a great idea with horrible execution.

Have a little patience with it and u can find a decent tone.The presets are set very conservatively.At first u will be disappointed but after u get accustomed to the amp it is actually pretty cool

I paid $400 online for 120.  Same here worst sound ever. I loved my spider 3 sorry I let it go. I am not a line 6 hater. I have tube amps that are great but also like solid state and line 6 has met my needs in the past.....original pod owner.

Well....the speaker seems to be the main issue on this amp. The presets and effects are what they are. Some will like them some not.

Besides the speaker line 6 should take note that connectivity with DAWs, not being able to use the nice app while connected to a computer, no bluetooth, and no easy way to connect to android devices are major flaws. 

With the speaker and these other issues I think line 6 should consider a credit be issued to all registered users, but that is wishful thinking. I made the bad purchase so on me.

Maybe somehow line 6 can update this amp or add mods that will make it usable. 

Not sure how much I can get on craigslist for spider v 120. Any idea?

Thanks.

Ive been out of the game recently but started playing again and purchased this amp. I love the idea but i have not figured everything out yet. I don't think it sounds terrible and I do like it but I'm sure ill enjoy it more when I learn the ins and outs

I have a Spider V 60 unit. I feel that the best way to get good sounds out of these amps are to do a deep dive and try to find what kind of sounds these amps naturally do well. This may not always be a preset in the amp. I never expect a solid state amp like this to actually sound like a Marshall Plexi and Twin Reverb running in stereo. This is true for other brands of amp in this class as well. But what they do sound great for are things like the JC120. (since that too is a solid state amp). There are several other sounds that are somewhat pleasing to the ear. The effects definitely sound better than previous versions of Spider, so I don't think that is a problem. You just need to tinker and dial in the amount of each effect you want. You can dive deeper into the preset effects by hitting the edit button which will give you the ability to tweak finer details in a given effect. I feel like with patience, time, and an open mind, these amps are quite impressive. Just having a good practice amp with wireless capabilities alone is a huge help to me since I am constantly learning new music for gigs or testing out new products. Good luck and I hope this is helpful in some way.

It's a decent amp. Plenty of areas to tweak and you need to. Try different cabs, mic positions. Add extra EQ. 

Factory presets are like all factory presets. Some you like, most you won't.

Mine might go back if they don't announce a Win PC or Mac editor before my 45 days is up. Using a phone sucks ! WTH were they thinking? Every other brand now selling have editors for Win and Mac. Sweetwater made it seem like the Spider V's had that. Wrong!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Spider mkii valve 40watt. Been nothin but a lemon since i bought it years ago. Only kept it for the loop effect and i wouldn't even get a 1/4 of the price a paid for it.. first the valve's then the short board faulty had it fixed now the volume and effects change while i play.great sound but maintenance wise Worst amp I've ever owned ever owned. Can't go past the Marshall mg100 had it for 12 years thrashed the lollipoping guts out of it not one drama.. lollipop you line six..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi together,

unfortunately my Spider V 120 sounds also bad. The tone is dull, no transparency, no clarity. It feels like you are looking through a dens grey curtain. No matter which preset I dial in, always the same dusty shape of tone. These presets have nothing to do with those presets you can listen on YouTube. If the Spider would Sound like that it would be really great. I am also not able to create a Setting from the beginning which sounds just half the way of my Spider IV 75.

I love my Spider IV 75, but I am missing all the cool features the Spider V 120 have. Giving the Spider V the soundmachine of the Spider IV would create the perfect amp.

So I have 2 weeks left before I can´t send the amp back. Perhaps anyone can tell me how to get a good Sound out of the amp. I would love to, because of all the Features the Spider IV haven´t.

Regards,

Oli

Hi together,

unfortunately my Spider V 120 sounds also bad. The tone is dull, no transparency, no clarity. It feels like you are looking through a dens grey curtain. No matter which preset I dial in, always the same dusty shape of tone. These presets have nothing to do with those presets you can listen on YouTube. If the Spider would Sound like that it would be really great. I am also not able to create a Setting from the beginning which sounds just half the way of my Spider IV 75.

I love my Spider IV 75, but I am missing all the cool features the Spider V 120 have. Giving the Spider V the soundmachine of the Spider IV would create the perfect amp.

So I have 2 weeks left before I can´t send the amp back. Perhaps anyone can tell me how to get a good Sound out of the amp. I would love to, because of all the Features the Spider IV haven´t.

Regards,

Oli

Have you downloaded any presets from the cloud? You should be able to find a few good ones quickly. Try searching for Hindmarsh. He's the guy in the Line 6 demos, and has created some good ones. Maybe try a different guitar too. Have you updated the software? That affects tone also. If you've done all that and it still doesn't sound good, the amp might be defective.

Hi,

unfortunatelly I haven´t a mobile device, so I can only use the amp by itself. But yesterday I have tweaked a lot and found the main Problem in the adjustment of the presence. It is very sensitve, so that 5% make the difference between quite useful and horrible. Also the adjustment of the mic makes a very big difference i.e. SM57a and SM57S. IMO the difference between the different mics is much bigger in the amp than in the original.

IMO the amp has too much Parameters to dial with and too much of them which doesn´t work. So it is very difficult to get or to find a good Sound by surprise. In my Spider IV the selection of the amp model and the regular tone stack is absolutely sufficient to get a good Sound. In the Spider V it isn´t. Line 6 should really Change the presets und do some simplification on the amp. It should be plug and Play - no one who want´s to try an amp want´s to tweak it at least 30 minutes to get a good Sound, especially when you don´t know the amp with ist possibilities of adjustment. Also there is a Need for a Desktop Version of the Spider App. After all that tweaking I have to say, that in the matter of tone my Spider IV is much better than the Spider V.

Tomorrow I will try the XLR Out in our band room. If they fail the amp will go back to Sender.

Regards,

Oli

Hi,

unfortunatelly I haven´t a mobile device, so I can only use the amp by itself. But yesterday I have tweaked a lot and found the main Problem in the adjustment of the presence. It is very sensitve, so that 5% make the difference between quite useful and horrible. Also the adjustment of the mic makes a very big difference i.e. SM57a and SM57S. IMO the difference between the different mics is much bigger in the amp than in the original.

IMO the amp has too much Parameters to dial with and too much of them which doesn´t work. So it is very difficult to get or to find a good Sound by surprise. In my Spider IV the selection of the amp model and the regular tone stack is absolutely sufficient to get a good Sound. In the Spider V it isn´t. Line 6 should really Change the presets und do some simplification on the amp. It should be plug and Play - no one who want´s to try an amp want´s to tweak it at least 30 minutes to get a good Sound, especially when you don´t know the amp with ist possibilities of adjustment. Also there is a Need for a Desktop Version of the Spider App. After all that tweaking I have to say, that in the matter of tone my Spider IV is much better than the Spider V.

Tomorrow I will try the XLR Out in our band room. If they fail the amp will go back to Sender.

Regards,

Oli

Oli

Agreed on the pc editors for sure! They want us to pursue changes through Ideascale part of their site. You can go there to vote for the computer editor. I think plenty of people have been wanting the editor for Mac and Windows, but it's not showing that at Ideascale as much as it should. I'm thinking users posting here are not wanting to subscribe to another section to post requests. I don't blame them for not wanting to (more crap to post, search for topics), but that's how it works. I tried a few times to post direct links and it doesn't work.

When dialing in the amps, set them how you would the real deal. That's what the guy on the videos said. Not everyone can tweak for hours, but if you handle the amp settings and then clean it up with post EQ it takes on a different life.

They also said use the post eq on and tweak slightly for different guitars. Depending on body makeup, pickups, electronics of the guitar, it can sound different, just like amps would, so just do the same.

• Downvote 1

Hi,

all the things you said sounds in my ears as fine tuning - in my amp it is much more getting a sound which doesn´t suck right from the beginning!

I played back some music on my amp with the AUX in and wondered why there is nearly no sound coming out of the horn. I also tried playing back the guitar riffs and there is also nearly no sound coming out of the horn, even when master is half way up and my ear direct in the upper right corner of the amp. I guess that the horn is defect.

An other issue that points to this fact too is, that using some headphones there are much mor hights audible. Especially with the acoustic setting 3D. Listening to it via headphone this really sounds like an Yamaha APX, but listening to it via the amps speakers it is hardly recognizable that I have a real acoustic guitar plugged into the amp. Is it the same in your amp?

Would you please test the factory presets 4C, 5D, 8D and 9D... all these presets sound absolute horrible, way to much bass, everything vibrates with master half way up, absolute no highs and totally muddie. It is hard to imagine, that anybody could dial in such presets and even harder that they sell an amp with them.

I really hope, that my horn is defect, because I would love to have Spider V which sounds half the wy of the Spider IV, because of all those features.

Regards,

Oli

Hi,

all the things you said sounds in my ears as fine tuning - in my amp it is much more getting a sound which doesn´t suck right from the beginning!

I played back some music on my amp with the AUX in and wondered why there is nearly no sound coming out of the horn. I also tried playing back the guitar riffs and there is also nearly no sound coming out of the horn, even when master is half way up and my ear direct in the upper right corner of the amp. I guess that the horn is defect.

An other issue that points to this fact too is, that using some headphones there are much mor hights audible. Especially with the acoustic setting 3D. Listening to it via headphone this really sounds like an Yamaha APX, but listening to it via the amps speakers it is hardly recognizable that I have a real acoustic guitar plugged into the amp. Is it the same in your amp?

Would you please test the factory presets 4C, 5D, 8D and 9D... all these presets sound absolute horrible, way to much bass, everything vibrates with master half way up, absolute no highs and totally muddie. It is hard to imagine, that anybody could dial in such presets and even harder that they sell an amp with them.

I really hope, that my horn is defect, because I would love to have Spider V which sounds half the wy of the Spider IV, because of all those features.

Regards,

Oli

I think I have overwritten every preset up to bank 11. Not that all presets were bad, I just did so for my own organization of presets I use at gigs and with different guitars. I have to find a way to preview the original preset banks. 

Horn doesn't always come on mine either. It's not like a compression horn on a PA speaker. Mine does come on some to fill out highs when I use my piezo bridge in one of my guitars. I think the 12" speakers are most of the full range, but high end of them is limited enough to get the drum machine or some lo fi playback of mp3's. 

These speakers remind me of sound I get with Beta 12LTA that had a hf wizzer cone in the center. Those were good to about 10khz. Lo fi at best, but much better than music through a Vintage 30.

Hi,

you will have to perform a factory reset, then you can listen to the factory presets.

Yesterday evening a friend of mine came with his half year old LG smart phone to test the app. Unfortunatelly this phone doesn´t have the "full USB Support" so there is no way to test the app, no way to download user presets - what the f....

I once was a Line 6 Lover, but with all those circumstances I am getting more and more a Line 6 hater. It is absolutely disappointing - what is the Problem of making a MAC/PC editor like the Spider IV already have? I wonder if they want us to buy those amps or want us to go to other brands....

In the evening I will test the XLR - if they fail I will return the amp!

Regards,

Oli

Hi,

you will have to perform a factory reset, then you can listen to the factory presets.

Yesterday evening a friend of mine came with his half year old LG smart phone to test the app. Unfortunatelly this phone doesn´t have the "full USB Support" so there is no way to test the app, no way to download user presets - what the f....

I once was a Line 6 Lover, but with all those circumstances I am getting more and more a Line 6 hater. It is absolutely disappointing - what is the Problem of making a MAC/PC editor like the Spider IV already have? I wonder if they want us to buy those amps or want us to go to other brands....

In the evening I will test the XLR - if they fail I will return the amp!

Regards,

Oli

Try this!! This is a response I got from the Youtube guy that has Spider V 240 demos that sound killer!! Here's what he said:

" Thanks!! Hope this helps you !

What I do with ANY modeler I buy is start from scratch. I know many don't like to do this, but for me, this is how I learn to use the products and it stays with me. Most of the things you learn about modeling units is that how you adjust the basic amp model apply fairly consistent, even with different mfg's of modeler products. They can all sound bland until you get into the nuts and bolts of the amp and PEQ's.

Guitars change the tonality too. If you have active pickups or stronger pickups, heavier tonewoods, those all can affect the final result. I gig with 4 guitars so I refined the presets I use to sound good with those guitars. Some have more output so I dial other presets up to even things out. Most of this is done by adjustments in the PEQ block or "EQ" block which I enable in everything I use.

Every modeler I use, I always start with the basic model. I turn all effects off. These steps are fairly easy:

1. Set the amp model how you normally would set an amp you use IRL. Many amp models included will get gain applied differently. Classic amps often required the player to crank the gains, and all the amps eq controls. Presence control helped with hf harmonics. Use that if you want. These amps include Plexi, JTM, Bassman, JCM800's, some versions of Mark amps, Fender, and more. For example, if you want classic Plexi, just dime everything in the model. That is how the amp works better IRL, so do the same on the model. For old AcDc, Thin Lizzy, BOC, Aerosmith, etc, that's how they got that loud OD tone. You can push it with drive pedals if you want, but go to the next option to really achieve results. Great model for classic rock which gives a sweet mild overdrive with a cleaner low end for power.

2. Try different cabinet models. Most of these would be good with Green or Cream back cabs, but Vintage 30 also works if you need a brighter but darker tone with the classic style amp. I like V30 with the Sm57 @45. That's my starting point for higher gain, though I do use some variants on other presets just for subtle differences.

3. USE the PEQ to shape the tone. Boxy sound comes from Lo Mids/Mid Bass out of whack. You can fine tune that tone with the PEQ. Start with the low end. Adjust them just enough to shape the sound, then apply the gain of the EQ to each freq as needed. If you boost over 6db you will find the amp gets much louder than factory presets. There is a ton of headroom in the PEQ, but I suggest using it no more than a 3-6 db boost. The models will sound better with this EQ applied. I learned that with the Fractal and other units that sounded meh until you dialed in PEQ. PEQ is where you find the sweet spot. Don't forget, you can always go back to the Amp model and make cuts as well.

If you don't know how to use PEQ it is best to test each gain and freq slider so you can hear the changes. There is no Visual Graphic and the Q is not adjustable, so my guess is it is fairly wide, so the boost or cut you make will apply broadly. That said, this block is crucial to developing the final amp sound of your preset and when used properly can make your amp model go from meh to ohhh yeah!!

On other more high gain amp models, they have a different gain/vol structure. You don't have to dime them like you do classic amps. These include Mesa Rectif, Engl, Deiz, JCM900, DSL's, and so on. I find having a balance of gain and presence with a fairly high volume level on the model works best. PEQ will work closely with the model used, so what you tweak for Fender, should work with those models, Marshall, same thing. Apply the EQ of the amp model with the same PEQ and shape from the amp eq first, then fine tune the PEQ. Using different cabinets will change things, but those differences are desirable imo. IOW, just a cab model and mic position change can get a thicker, darker, or brighter tone. Experiment with what works. The Spider V is fairly linear in it's power. You can adjust your presets at just less than stage levels and they will be good at higher gig levels. Just don't adjust them with Headphones or really low levels. They will not translate as well. That is not the amp though, that is just how human hearing is. Like any amp you tweak, give your ears a rest after a while. If you tweak over long periods, the next day things may sound very different.

Factory presets for any modeler are hit or miss. That is to be expected. I use them as reference more than anything else. 

4. Once you get the basic amp tone you like, now you can apply other things like drives, compressors, and other effects. Key is, don't over do it. Compressors can actually tame game but warm it up if used that way, or they can be a nice boost. You decide. Some of my presets used are boosts, and some act almost as a limiter but they tighten the gain. These usually have a lower threshold on high gain amp models. 

5. Drives can really impact the gain, but on high gain amps, don't use the gain too high because more distortion will thin the tone badly and it won't cut a mix. Some drives have EQ. Be cautious here because the EQ on the Drive block can certainly impact the amp model. These are really good for Clean EQ boosts. Set for minimal gain, but boost the eq controls to provide the clean boost for lead cutting. Use sparingly for best results.

6. Other FX, mods delays rev. These I use as needed. Most of the time I have fx applied the mix levels are rather low unless I am going for something that requires a heavy or more wetness to the effect. Just know a wetter effect can change the preset levels too. In a Stereo 240, it will broaden the tones quite a bit.

In my experiences with so many modelers, the only way to see what is under the hood is to look, compare and tweak. Starting from scratch as you would when you build a rig is the best way to learn the rig from top to bottom. I know many think the mfg's should have these models all worked out for us, but the fact is everyone's ears are different. There is no way or even a halfway point or mfg's to structure a preset that everyone will like. When you have an amp modeler, you are essentially walking into a room with all those tools. Now you get to put them together.

When I bought the Spider V I went in with basics and applied those ideas to the unit. As I was at the store over a busy Holiday weekend of shopping, people that tried the amp just by factory models were stunned at the sounds I was getting after a few PEQ tweaks. I had never heard the word "dude" so much than that afternoon. I picked up the Spider V 240 that afternoon and ordered the G10T and FBV3. Out of the other products that were there including Boss, Blackstar, and Fender, I chose this one since it had everything needed for gigging. The other combos didn't handle low tuning guitars either. Difference being Spider V 240 and others in the series are modeling amps. Other choices were variables of a single preamp type. Works for a simple one tone couple gain option players, but not at all as diverse as I needed. The wireless, FBV3 option sealed it for me too. 

Hope that helps to clarify what I do. I have some presets up on L6 site, there is no order to them. Just look for ones that start with MB>  "

• Upvote 3

Hi,

thanks a lot for that users guide, but I can´t understand, why most factory presets demonstrated on the homepage of Line 6 sound so much different to the original amp (if my horn isn´t broken).

On the other hand it is nice to to have that PEQ, but have you ever seen a tube amp with build in PEQ? Some of them just have treble and bass - that´s it, no 4 band full parametric EQ additional to the tone stack. And they sound great, otherwise nobody would want them to play, buy or moddel...so why don´t just moddle them how they are? The more you can adjust, the more you can go wrong.

In my Spider IV I don´t need a PEQ, because the tone stack goes all the way from crispy high to the low end, you can scoop a heavy sound without sounding dull or boxy....

I just came back from the band room. I demonstrated the amp to my friend. Without saying a word within 5 seconds for playing he wondered if the horn is broken. If it is broken - and I really hope so - everything is fine, but the more I read about other peoples experience with Spider V the more I believe everything is "allright" with this amp, at least nothing is broken. I believe that if tweaking the PEQ is necessary to get a good sound, then something really went wrong in the signal chain infront of the PEQ.

The other point are the XLRs. They have much mor highs, but in comparison with the Spider IV line out (running this into a Behringer Ultra-G speaker simmulator) they don´t sound that good.

So now I know what to do - putting the Spider V back to sender and keep my Spider IV, save some money and perhaps buying a kemper or a Spider VI.

But there is a little hope left. I told my music store about the problems and they will look after the amp and compare it with the others.

I will post the results of the music store.

Regards,

Oli

Hi,

thanks a lot for that users guide, but I can´t understand, why most factory presets demonstrated on the homepage of Line 6 sound so much different to the original amp (if my horn isn´t broken).

On the other hand it is nice to to have that PEQ, but have you ever seen a tube amp with build in PEQ? Some of them just have treble and bass - that´s it, no 4 band full parametric EQ additional to the tone stack. And they sound great, otherwise nobody would want them to play, buy or moddel...so why don´t just moddle them how they are? The more you can adjust, the more you can go wrong.

In my Spider IV I don´t need a PEQ, because the tone stack goes all the way from crispy high to the low end, you can scoop a heavy sound without sounding dull or boxy....

I just came back from the band room. I demonstrated the amp to my friend. Without saying a word within 5 seconds for playing he wondered if the horn is broken. If it is broken - and I really hope so - everything is fine, but the more I read about other peoples experience with Spider V the more I believe everything is "allright" with this amp, at least nothing is broken. I believe that if tweaking the PEQ is necessary to get a good sound, then something really went wrong in the signal chain infront of the PEQ.

The other point are the XLRs. They have much mor highs, but in comparison with the Spider IV line out (running this into a Behringer Ultra-G speaker simmulator) they don´t sound that good.

So now I know what to do - putting the Spider V back to sender and keep my Spider IV, save some money and perhaps buying a kemper or a Spider VI.

But there is a little hope left. I told my music store about the problems and they will look after the amp and compare it with the others.

I will post the results of the music store.

Regards,

Oli

The Spider V is a different system of amplification. PEQ helps resolve the differences in the models, guitars used etc. It's not required, but it is there. Most recommend it is used not just on Spider V but many other modelers that have full range amplification. Spider V has a full range system, Spider IV had a guitar speaker IIRC so the models were tweaked to work with that speaker. Reviews were mixed on those as well.

I did get the factory sounds on those banks. There is not a lot of hf coming out of the horn. Those are not like compression drivers that hiss when on so it's harder to tell when they are active. I'd have to pull the cab back off, unhook the main speaker to really verify. Not sure what to tell you. I think what was recorded on clips were via USB, not a mic'd up amp. Might be why it sounds different. IDK

I had a Kemper, and there is tweaking required when amplifying the system. I have an AX8 and I really tweak that box.

Hello guys,

I found a solution to make the spider V app work on ur pc:

Install remix OS. It's an android based operating system. U can dual boot: so you have the option between windows 10 en remix OS.

Make sure you do the installation correct (i'm not involved in any difficultie with ur pc).

But normally it's very easy. You find enough gides in google or youtube on how to install remis OS as second operating system on ur computer. 

I tested it and it works perfectly. I tried android simulators or virtual box. But these machines don't recognize ur usb port or are very very slow. The remix OS recognizes ur usb port smooth on any pc. I tried it and it worked immidiatly.

Note: If you have windows 10 like me and you wanne install with the remix os  iso file you may need to disable secure boot. Just search on internet or youtube to disable secure boot. After that restart and u can install remix OS next to ur first operating system (in my case it was windows 10). Also make sure ur really make another partition to install ur remix OS.

so basically do these steps and it will work perfectly:

1) make new partition from about 10 gig or more. (search on youtube or google) on how to do this.

2) download the remix OS setup and iso file

3) install it on the partition u made (it may be needed us disable secure boot in ur bios)

4) boot in remix OS install the spider App and connect ur spider amp

5) bam

just to make clear i'm not involved in any difficulty you have when installing ur second operating system. But normally if you follow the steps it is very simple and goes very smooth without any problem.

greets,

Jero

• Upvote 1

Hi,

today I have been to the music store and tested a Spider V 60. It sounded the same way like the 120. Now I am shure, that mine wasn´t defect - it sounded just like any Spider V does.

So my last hope is gone - the Spider V is not my cup of tea. I don´t want to fiddle that much withe the tone stack AND the 4 Band PEQ. So don´t agree with guitardad123: the PEQ IS required and if it wasn´t there for sure a lot of people won´t keep the Spider V.

So the search for the perfect amp goes on (and on and on...). a Kemper? a Eleven Rack? Helix? Axe FX?

Regards,

Oli

Hi,

today I have been to the music store and tested a Spider V 60. It sounded the same way like the 120. Now I am shure, that mine wasn´t defect - it sounded just like any Spider V does.

So my last hope is gone - the Spider V is not my cup of tea. I don´t want to fiddle that much withe the tone stack AND the 4 Band PEQ. So don´t agree with guitardad123: the PEQ IS required and if it wasn´t there for sure a lot of people won´t keep the Spider V.

So the search for the perfect amp goes on (and on and on...). a Kemper? a Eleven Rack? Helix? Axe FX?

Regards,

Oli

As an owner of Axe FX, AmpliFire, and Kemper, I can tell you that almost every user adds PEQ in the amp model of those products too. Not just post amp either. They put PEQ filter blocks before the modeling, after, between cabs etc. For most products with PEQ block, It's what is used as a component post amp to clarify the model, cab, and to balance tonality of different guitars. Even as expensive as those products are I still had to tweak them. That is the modeling environment.

Spider V is a step in that modeling approach for combos. Spider V isn't like previous generations at all. This is basically their modeling plus fr amplification all in one. Previous Spider generations were much more basic.  I too was on the fence with my Spider V, but I've learned to use the PEQ to the amp's benefit thanks to to discovering what others have done. Not all products are for every ear. You don't know until you try.

Axe FX I say has the more refined sound. Helix is really good too. Atomic Amplifire has really improved. Kemper has the best modeling sound imo. Factory sounds are ok, but you will have to tweak any of the units here. The modelers will take you deep into tweak and cabinet impulse rabbit holes as they say. If you go Kemper buy the third party profiles. They sounded best to me.

Best to you!

• 1 month later...

Don't know why you don't like this amp. It's a great amp for me.

Some factory presets are fine for me. May need to tweak them a bit.

I thought this guide may be useful for you to tweak your amp to find your good tones.

http://guitargearfinder.com/guides/ultimate-guide-to-guitar-amp-settings/

I think some people are not as used to the actual modeling aspects of this line. I posted a guide a few short clicks up (post #17) from a guy that made some Spider V 240 videos. It works very well. 

• Upvote 1

Agree,  I think this Spider V  behaves more like a modeler than any of the Spider amps before. So it needs to be used like a modeler and adjusted as such, This also includes having to somehow adapt to the new near full-range speakers used in this amp,  again a design choice  closer to a modeler.

Some people are not expecting all those changes or do not want to invest the time, even if minimal to make this works and this might be a reason they don`t like the amp.

All I can say is you can get amazing tones coming from Spider V. I really like my V240 so far it`s a lot of fun.

BTW Thanks to the great  people on this forum I think you help getting the best of this product.

I thought this guide may be useful for you to tweak your amp to find your good tones.

This is probably the best advice given by far.  

It seems that a lot of people think of modelers as the "quick-n-easy" way to getting a great tone.  Though there may be some truth in that statement, it can be just the opposite for some because you can get overwhelmed by the choices of modeled gear and settings.  The Spider V might have some limitations/shortcomings, but you can most definitely get some great tones if you understand how each piece works, which is crucial if you are to know which way to turn the knobs. 

I don't think this is a bad amp at all. However, you do have to be willing to tweak and dial in the sounds you looking for. I don't play one style of music. I play worship at church and I need to be able to dial​ in a wide variety of styles. This amp fits that bill perfectly! Also, it fits my budget. I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on an amp and then hundreds or more on pedals. I'd like to some day but can't right now. Spider V is great for my scenario.

Thank you for this link. The article is excellent! I learned many of these things From a friend who is a pro musician after cursing nearly Amp I ever purchased.

One day I was talking to My friend and cursing my a tube amp I bought. He invited himself over dialled in an amazing tone after a few seconds. Then he took a look at my POD HD300, which I had also given up on, and built a couple of great sounding patches for me. He told me he could get a decent tone out of any Amp within a few minutes. So I dusted off my emergency backup amp. A really old Peavey Rage practice amp. Much to my surprise, he made that puppy sound good as well. In fairness, this one took much more effort.

That was the last time I ever blamed the equipment. Saying that, I have purchased amps since this experience that didn't suit me but that is different from blaming the Amp.

The real irony of this is my friend bought a Spider V and raves about it every time I see him.

• Upvote 1

I'm brand new to guitar. Total beginner. I like what the amp has to offer. I really want to buy this amp but all the negative press on this series amp and Line 6 all over you tube makes me a bit apprehensive to spend the money. I have spent hours listening to all the demos and reading all the comments and can't figure out how a 20 year old company could still be in business if their products were that bad. Alternatively, how is a beginner supposed to learn about different effects and tones in a home learning environment if not for these type of amps?

To learn or to practice the Spider V is a lot of fun, probably the best amp for this purpose currently on the market.

The Spider V has tons of really cool effects. For example it would be hard to justify a synth effect pedal for a new player since this is not something you would use all that often. On the Spider you can experiment with one if you want.

The built-in drum loops,metronome and built-in wireless are also very nice.

However the many options my be a challenge for some people, myself included. There are some amazing tones in this amp and you can find a lot of good examples in some demos on the Web.

Ola Englund John Browne and many others have some very good demos. Playing with my V240 I find that sometimes just changing the mic model can take a preset from boff to WoW this is really cool. The same for changing the cab model.

I'm brand new to guitar. Total beginner. I like what the amp has to offer. I really want to buy this amp but all the negative press on this series amp and Line 6 all over you tube makes me a bit apprehensive to spend the money. I have spent hours listening to all the demos and reading all the comments and can't figure out how a 20 year old company could still be in business if their products were that bad. Alternatively, how is a beginner supposed to learn about different effects and tones in a home learning environment if not for these type of amps?

I am going to let you in on a little secret. Opinions are like genitalia. Everyone has them and some people are always whipping them out in public and making exaggerated claims based on opinion and not on fact. This applies to both the people who say only positive things as well as those who say only negative. 

I have used multi-pedals and modeling amps from the following companies:

1. Line 6 - Spider Valve Mark I, Spider IV, POD HD 300, POD HD500, Amplifi, and FireHawk. (Currently Looking at Spider V)
  2. VOX - VOX VT+
  3. BOSS - ME-50
  4. Zoom - G3, MS-50G, and MS-100BT (Currently waiting on the B3n)
  5. Peavey - VIP
  6. Fender - Mustang v2

I can tell you a couple things from my experiences. Firstly, a modeled amp will not sound exactly the same as the amp it was modeled on no matter what anyone will tell you. Many of the modeling products will come close enough to the original that the vast majority of people couldn't tell the difference. Secondly, and this is the most important thing. If you take the time to learn a product you will be able to get a good tone out of pretty much any modeling amp or multi-pedal. 

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, let's address the amp. I have played around with the Spider V and I really like it. It has a huge library of amps and effects built in and plenty of other useful features that will make learning the guitar easier and more enjoyable. As a beginner, this amp will benefit you greatly. It will give you an opportunity to learn about a wide variety of amp types and pedal types. It is easy to move pedals around to see how that changes the sound. You will learn about how the different types of amps sound, (not brands but types, Clean, American, High Gain and British). It is the easiest way to learn the difference between a Chorus and  Delay without having to spend extra money.

As if this wasn't enough, if for some reason, you end up hating the sound of this amp down the road, you can use it as a powered speaker for other multi-effect pedals or a traditional pedal chain. Many manufacturers are making quality analog pedals based on different types of amps and you can use one of these as the amp tone adding whatever physical pedals you desire...or can afford. 

As you have pointed out, Line 6 has been in business for 20 years. That in itself isn't proof they produce the best products but it is a very good indication that they make products people like. As a beginning guitar player, it is far more important you like the product than what some reviewer on YouTube says. I am quite confident you will like the Spider V. YouTube reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. It is far too easy for a reviewer to be biased against a company and not put any effort into the product to get the best out of a product. The flip side of this is you can't be sure a reviewer is not being paid for a good review either. The only review you should trust is yours. If at all possible try the amp out yourself. Download the Spider V app and play around. Watch some videos on YouTube but make sure that you watch as many positive and negatives as you can find. I am going to catch heck here but I would compare the reviews to the Line 6 videos about the Spider V. Why would you do this you ask. Well, YouTube is full of crappy sounding videos and it would be easy to distort your view of the amp. The Line 6 videos will show you the best the amp is capable of. 

Oh...one last thing, too many people talk about the built-in patches. It has been my experience that the vast majority of the patches a product builds into a product are to help show the different sounds the product is capable of. 

• Upvote 1

Well said ppiluk and those are exactly my thoughts. Sweetwater have me 45 days to try the Spider V out and if I for some reason don't like the amp, I can return it free of charge. Can't beat that. But I really, really dig this amp. So for all of you that are a bit weary, give the Spider V a chance...I think it will surprise you!

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.  I'm definitely going to give the Spider V a shot.  As an alternative, I was looking at the JAM 75 as it has some extra features great for beginners not found on the new Spider V series.  Wasn't sure If I wanted to invest in older technology.  

I've been playing guitar for over 50 years(scary thought) and have played in studios and gigged with a wide array of high dollar tube amps, boutique pedals, huge pedalboards, digital multifx and was a recording studio engineer in one of the most prestigious LA studios. Those are my credentials.

The fools on the internet, like the guy who smashed the Spider V, who get their egos stroked by trashing inexpensive equipment, are just that- fools. They're just trying to get attention, and make themselves seem like "experts" to the uninformed. It happens in every internet forum or video from  politics, stereo equipment, you name it. The curse of the internet.

Though not perfect, and not a $3000 tube amp in terms of "ultimate" tone, you can get excellent tones from a Spider V. I know, I have the 240 and wouldn't give a second thought to gigging with it.  And I don't care what the cork sniffing guitar players in the audience think. It's a tool...

Like was stated before, many, if not all of the modeling amps in the price class can be tweaked to give you decent tones. I prefer the Spider because of the wider range of tones and effects available, the superior footswitch arrangement, and the ease of tweaking. YMMV.

Read the manual of one of the modelers,go to a store, take one into a isolation room, play with it for a while. If you bond with it, take it home. Return it if it doesn't work for you. That's my advice. Good luck with your search.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

How about a spider V 120 amp a couple months ago and the one thing is that I have played it through my headphones that $150 a pair and they're German model which starts with an s and it sounds killer when I do the adjustment. Are then play it out loud and it sounds like crap anyone replaced their amp speaker with a celestion or another type of speaker where is made a tremendous difference because as far as I'm concerned the only time I'm going to play that amp probably is with the headphones at night practicing it has the potential of being a great-aunt but the question is what a speaker replacement do the job or is it something else that I'm missing or tweaking more someone said that they might take the cab simulations off also but my thing is it just sounds too good through the headphones your thoughts

How about a spider V 120 amp a couple months ago and the one thing is that I have played it through my headphones that $150 a pair and they're German model which starts with an s and it sounds killer when I do the adjustment. Are then play it out loud and it sounds like crap anyone replaced their amp speaker with a celestion or another type of speaker where is made a tremendous difference because as far as I'm concerned the only time I'm going to play that amp probably is with the headphones at night practicing it has the potential of being a great-aunt but the question is what a speaker replacement do the job or is it something else that I'm missing or tweaking more someone said that they might take the cab simulations off also but my thing is it just sounds too good through the headphones your thoughts

You cannot dial in an modeling amp at low volume and expect it to sound the same at high volume. L6 has traditionally put a neutral voice speaker in their amps but if you have the time read through the Flextone and Spidervalve L6 Amp forum sections and see what has worked for others. The choices made there might help in your research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

• Upvote 1

Last night I brought my Helix and in fact used the Spider V 240 as FRFR cabinet and I can tell you, amazing results!!!!!! instead of connecting in front of the amp you connect in the back of the Spider, that bypass the entire pre amp, effects, everything!!!!! The only thing that works is the volume! Use the AUX IN! The 240 version is a stereo version! from there you can send a L/R to the FOH, also you can use a splitter cable to send the signal from the Helix into a stereo 1/4"cable and send it to the Spider V. There is no way to go wrong guys, I got the same results connecting my Helix into a Line 6 FRFR monitor (L3M), exactly the same with the advantage to use the spider in small environments!

• 1 month later...

Problem with ideascale is you have to sign up and then get junk mail etc- Imskipping on spider v- I wish they used the pod hd engine and a pc/mac editor and user preset sharing on customtone. Maybe Ill get a spider vi- iv is awesome . Fender went backwards too with their GT line- mustang was phenomenal GT bites

Agreed on the pc editors for sure! They want us to pursue changes through Ideascale part of their site. You can go there to vote for the computer editor. I think plenty of people have been wanting the editor for Mac and Windows, but it's not showing that at Ideascale as much as it should. I'm thinking users posting here are not wanting to subscribe to another section to post requests. I don't blame them for not wanting to (more crap to post, search for topics), but that's how it works. I tried a few times to post direct links and it doesn't work.

When dialing in the amps, set them how you would the real deal. That's what the guy on the videos said. Not everyone can tweak for hours, but if you handle the amp settings and then clean it up with post EQ it takes on a different life.

They also said use the post eq on and tweak slightly for different guitars. Depending on body makeup, pickups, electronics of the guitar, it can sound different, just like amps would, so just do the same.