Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switched to JTV - Beginner questions for Mag-configuration

Hi. I switched from Variax 600 to JTV-59 TSB and find some problems for which I hope somebody can enlighten me.

Using input 1 "Variax Mags" and input 2 "Variax" seems to lift the signal, so I have chosen "Aux" on second input path.

Same on all patches which are using the modeling exclusively (bank 2). I use just one centered path, so path B is muted at all. 

But there are questions appearing...

• is "Aux" the best choise for a deaktivated signal-path?
  • what happens in case 2 when I play 1/4 and batteries are weak? Is there still a mags-fallback, even if the second input is deactivated?

My first bank is optimized for the mags.

My 2nd bank is optimized for modeling.

Both banks are configurated path-wise as described above...

...but why is the modeling-knob on the JTV enlighted, when I chosse patch C and D in my 1st bank? They seem to be configurated the same way as A and B  :wacko:

In my 2nd bank it is patch B where the light is off  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

I am really confused at the moment  :mellow:

This behavior can be reproduced with or without USB/HD Edit connection.

Weird... took me a while to understand, that correct selection of the input-path depends on the "cable".

So Mags can be configured "Variax", which always means VDI-connection but you can drive the magnetic-PUs via input "guitar" as well.

So if I choose to play a Variax f.e. via Relay G10 the only working input is "guitar", no matter that you play a Variax with mags or modeling. Same on a Variax connected via 1/4 cable. So it's the cable type connection you define, not the type of sound source.

And to answer my Mags-fallback question: Mags-fallback only works on "guitar" (cable or wireless) just because in case of VDI there is no need for a fallback (battery is unused).

But I'm still unsure about the knob-thing described above.

If the light is on you are using models and if it is off your using mags... on 1/4 cable at least.

I should have mentioned that I was using a VDI RJ45 connection. The thing is, that I can hear, that I am using the mags but somehow the light indicates usage of modeling.

If I press the modeling knob the sound does not change at all but the POD indicates a change to save.

After saving the patch the light stays off, so no big problem but still a mystery.

I should have mentioned that I was using a VDI RJ45 connection. The thing is, that I can hear, that I am using the mags but somehow the light indicates usage of modeling.

If I press the modeling knob the sound does not change at all but the POD indicates a change to save.

After saving the patch the light stays off, so no big problem but still a mystery.

I use the Helix with the VDI cable, I don't know the pod, is there a "type of input" at the beginning of the signal chain. The helix has that and if you didn't have it set to multiple inputs it will only let mags or variax come through depending on the setting...

in the Variax HD workbench there is a setting to blend mags/modelled tones.Investigate that

also its easier to make your HD500 input settings global instead of per patch.

That is done with the HD509 pc editor

1: Nope

2: I use setlists for a traditional e-guitar and my Variax, su unfortunately going global is no option

3: Thank you nevertheless

I guess "Nope" means you have no setting to blend mags/ modeled pickups in your Workbench HD software?

Okay.Mine has that feature you may have a different version of the workbench for your older Variax.I have an older one too a Variax 500 and the older workbench on my PC.

I guess "Nope" means you have no setting to blend mags/ modeled pickups in your Workbench HD software?

Okay.Mine has that feature you may have a different version of the workbench for your older Variax.I have an older one too a Variax 500 and the older workbench on my PC.

Sorry, I was a bit in a hurry. Nope meant, that there is no blending value added.

Mags are at 0,0.

But it is no problem at all. Just a meaningless miss-indicating light,which can easily be overwritten pushing the modeling-knob and saving the patch,without any change in tone.