Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB/Iphone with Helix

BoneToner

yes- definitely get the USB3 Camera Connection kit. IE the latest one.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Then get a good quality USB 2 hub with one or more built-in 2.5 or 3A USB charger sockets. That way - as you add your MIDI control devices etc

( pedals/ Morningstar MC6 etc )  you have just the one extra box to handle all your USB needs for attaching to the iPad and HELIX - instead of using a separate  charger for the iPad. 

Also handy if you plan to alternate between using an iPad with your HELIX and a PC or Mac is a USB switcher. That way you can - at the push of a button select between your PC as USB Host and iOS device as USB Host. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CU4QD1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 2

Good info - thanks. 

Quick question - how many Helix audio channels does the iPhone/iPad see when connected? 

yes- definitely get the USB3 Camera Connection kit. IE the latest one.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Then get a good quality USB 2 hub with one or more built-in 2.5 or 3A USB charger sockets. That way - as you add your MIDI control devices etc

( pedals/ Morningstar MC6 etc )  you have just the one extra box to handle all your USB needs for attaching to the iPad and HELIX - instead of using a separate  charger for the iPad. 

Also handy if you plan to alternate between using an iPad with your HELIX and a PC or Mac is a USB switcher. That way you can - at the push of a button select between your PC as USB Host and iOS device as USB Host. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CU4QD1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

I think you mean to say Android needs to send some love Helix's way. <Snip.

Nope! Wrote precisely what I intended. And I have voted for this.

Additionally, there are other good IdeaScale and other posts regarding suggestions for tablet and mobile device functionality to augment and enhance that what Helix already does.

Thanks! does this just send all audio from the phone? can you send audio to the phone as well?

YES !  its what makes an iPhone or iPad into a versatile add-on effects box for the HELIX -  with the fewest possible number of cables  - where the entire audio path is pristine DIGITAL - In and OUT over USB.   :)

And if you use a powered USB2 hub - and plug the camera connection kit cable from your iPhone/iPad  into the USB hub so the iPhone is acting as the HOST - you can then plug in any USB MIDI controllers, pedals and such - to control over MIDI and USB whatever apps you're using in the iPhone. 

So for example you can plug in a behringer pedal board, and have control over Loopy HD etc.   Or in my case - Group The Loop. 

Good info - thanks. 

Quick question - how many Helix audio channels does the iPhone/iPad see when connected? 

Its a little unclear and I believe - on my experience it depend on the individual iOS app itself.    

Here's a suggestion to take seriously though -  buy the following middleware apps:  AUM -  AudioBus and AudioBus Remote.   Just buy them.

And When AudioBus 3 comes out - just buy that too. 

AUM helps because once you connect apps such as Loopy HD to the HELIX the global volume controls in the iPad or iPhone become disabled. And to avoid having to go into the global settings on the HELIX and tweak USB1/2 trim   its easier to use the AUM mixer.