Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp Block ==> Amp Block, Suprising Results

jshimkoski

Here's something for you guys to try out.

Since we can't mix and match preamp and power amp models (which would be pretty killer), I tried out a workaround that actually gives pretty decent results.

Simply run a Preamp Block directly into an Amp Block. From here, completely lower all of the preamp settings in the Amp Block and raise the Preamp Block's parameters. Mix to taste...

The idea here is to let the Amp Block's preamp color as little of the signal as possible. You might need to raise the drive in order to have the Preamp Block come through.

After the Cab Block/IR Block, you might need to add a Gain Block to compensate for decreased volume.

Earlier I tried a Cali Rect preamp into a Marshall Plexi (normal) amp to great effect. Actually gave a really nice combined sound of the two.

Its something fun to try at the very least. You might find a unique combination that could be the foundation of your sound, who knows?

• Upvote 1

jshimkoski

Wow great idea.  This very idea actually had occurred to me once a long while back but I'd since forgotten to try it. 

Thanks for the reminder!  Also, try putting an overdrive between the amp block and cab sim/IR.  This too will need a gain block to compensate for the volume loss but I like what I've gotten out of it.

If you get good results with this, that's awesome. But for the amp being used, how do you know or find out what the truly neutral settings are so it doesn't color the tone at all, except for the coloring from the power amp? In other words, how do you separate the preamp and power amp parts of a full amp and only set the preamp neutrally?

Don't know if this would work, but maybe taking a blank preset, add in the preamp block on a separate path, add in the IR or cab. Set the polarity of path B in the merge block to inverted and adjust the preamp controls until the signal is as close to disappearing as possible. Are these resulting settings, when used with a full amp block, neutral?

I actually recently set up a preamp to be an 'overdrive' into a full amp model - somewhat similar approach, except that I was allowing all the colours to come through.

I've done this too, cool fun.

Distortion, EQ, gain, those are the same things you get from OD pedals, only more control. Only thing is they don't have an overall EQ shape that's specifically designed to pre-process guitar before an amp. But you do have tone controls, and you can add an EQ of your choice before or after it too.

Most amps have passive EQ circuits right? That would mean that they do nothing at maximum and bleed more signal to ground as you turn it down. If you want to "bypass" the preamp EQ, you would turn up all the tone knobs to maximum.

Not sure about that and whether the Helix models that "correctly" but it's food for thought.

It doesn't really matter much either way, whatever sounds good ... sounds good. ;)

When im using my mesa dual rec in 4c method i run a branch off in the signal chain sending the preamp signal from the mesa to a p.a. system (to save micing up), i find the signal a little dry as there is no power amp dynamics in the chain so i add an amp block and like you say just dial everything flat and minimum gain,this gives me the raw pre amp signal from the mesa and a power amp simulation.i also run as normal thru the mesa to a 4 x 12 cab.

this gives me a p.a signal that is consistent and i dont rely on a bad sound guy micing my cab up wrong!!i also get my normal stage sound from my amp and cab!!!