Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

cant get the variax workbench to work..what am i doing wrong?

This summer i baught a variax guitar (variax standard). I love the accoustic presets and have a lot of fun messing about in my homestudio, but lately ive seen tons of vids on youtube etc.. where people use the workbench to sorta make new guitars, tweaqes etc.. And i would LOVE to try that. Once i got the guitar i installed both the workbench and the linemonkey, but havnt tried any of them until today, and i cant get it to work :( So i was hoping someone could tell me what im doing wrong..

My set up is: The guitar is plugged into my "focusrite solo" with a standard electric guitar cable, the focusrite is plugged into my computer via USB. I have the guitar "on" with the lights glowing on model and tuning and fully charged battery.

*I doubleclick the variax workbench symbol on my desktop and get a grey thingy that pops up and says "MIDI port error, the midi port you have selected could not be opened"- I dont think i have selected a midi port, but maybe my settings elsewhere is wrong, in my DAW i use the "Focusrite ASIO" (simply because it works well on my guitars, mics and even my midi-keyboard so maybe that is something?

I then click "configure" and up comes a handful of drawings of guitars with an "X" and next to it it says " Microsoft GS wavetable synth" on OUT and "No device detected" next to the ones that doesnt say "variax". I have also downloaded and installed the USB driver called "Variax USB Interface Driver v1.0.7.2 Installer.exe". But things remain the same..Am i missing something? I had hoped it would pop right up after my guitar was plugged in and turned on..

Thanks in advance

RobertAllan

You need a piece of Line 6 hardware called the Variax Workbench Interface. Your focusrite will not work as a Variax Workbench interface. The required interface and cables should have come with your guitar. Use that when connecting to the Workbench HD program.

• Upvote 1

You need a piece of Line 6 hardware called the Variax Workbench Interface. Your focusrite will not work as a Variax Workbench interface. The required interface and cables should have come with your guitar. Use that when connecting to the Workbench HD program.

Hmm..doesnt seem like any cables came with it..I sinceerly doubt i threw anything away, included was the guitar, battery, chargercable and a card with serial numbers etc.. ? Useless without the specific cable? or should i try to find the "Variax Workbench Interface."

The interface that you need should have come with your guitar.  It has a USB cable on one end and a Cat5 cable that plugs into your guitar on the other end.  You need that to connect your Variax to your PC.

I cant find it in the box i have..All i find is a empty box for battery and charger and the manual..this sucks :(

I cant find it in the box i have..All i find is a empty box for battery and charger and the manual..this sucks :(

delete that :) Found the cable :) But i dont have the software in question..you said it came with the guitar, dont seem i have it, anywhere i can find it?