Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix DT25/DT50 Integration

laxtlo

I know nothing about if there will ever be a DT50 integration - but I'll say go FRFR anyhow - it's just more powerful!

The Helix allows you to use as many varieties of cabinets as you like - that's a big gain.  It then lets you place a large range of mics - another gain.

Finally and I think really importantly, it lets you put effects after your cab and mic.  That's how it is done in the studio.  Huge spread - especially if you are feeding into a stereo rig.

Finally you hear exactly what your audience hears!  

That is a game changer from my perspective - studio sound live.

The only downside is you don't have a fallback position if your Helix were to bite the dust!

I see no reason for not having both FRFR and DT50 integration. Best of both worlds. The point the OP made however, is knowing what Line-6 is doing with DT amp integration, or NOT doing. There no reason for Line 6 not to share this "status" other than they just don't want to. L6 Link is a "trademarked" idea fully implemented on other products, and has the exact same port on Helix, so its not like we are asking for something thats not there hardware wise. What we need is the "Control" side done to make the Trade Marked L6 Link "named" port on the back of Helix to function correctly.

Well thats a nice alternate setup. Many people do like the FRFR setup with Helix. I use the Firehawk 1500 for that purpose with My Helix as well. But OTOH there are also hundreds (if not thousands) of DT series amp owners who would "look hard" at Helix if it had the same "software Control" setup in L6 Link as the older HD series currently have. Why is that software update for DT integration important for Helix users? For one, the more that buy Helix now that have a DT series amp, the more viable it becomes for product support in the years to come as it increases the user group for Helix, and thats just another way to assure this happens.  

• Upvote 1

I haven't heard anything about a formal integration of the two. But using Helix with an amp via four-cable-method works marvelously. You just use Helix as the pre-amp and effects, but the power comes from the actual amp. This is nice for those that are really used to hearing sound and air move from an actual guitar cabinet rather than an FRFR. I prefer to go FRFR for the fact that it offers more versatility from simulated mic and cab options as well as just being more simple to set up. But the times I have gone with the four-cable-method, I was blown away at how realistic it "felt". Literally like having the real amp I was modeling! Massive sound! But again, once you get used to the sound from an FRFR, you may be spoiled and not wanna go back to using a real guitar cab.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using my Helix with the DT25 as suggested by others on here; I blanked out Channel B in the DT and then used MIDI cables to change voicing, class and mode.

I think it works really well.

It does I agree. But it could be sooooo much better with the control software implemented that the HD series has.

• Upvote 1

This has been discussed in the myriad other threads about DT integration. Sometimes I just don't feel like retyping the same thing over and over; doesn't mean we're ignoring it.

Thats good, Im glad you guys arnt ignoring it because you shipped my Helix (and everyone else's too) with a L6-Link port right on the back of it.  BTW Its the same port thats on the back of the HD series too, with the same "trade marked" name. And if there are a myriad amount of threads about this issue as you say, then its fix is indeed a VERY popular one needed & requested and should then be implemented, correct? After all, one would think that the Line-6 Engineers wouldn't have taken the time and trouble to design and then mass produce a unit with the same port using the same "trade marked" name on the back of Helix (as is there on the HD series), without making their functions work the same too. So Im very GLAD you guys are not ignoring it. Otherwise it Kinda defeats to purpose of putting the time & effort in installing that port on Helix doesn't it? But there I go repeating myself again as well.  ;)

• Upvote 1

It's got a digital comm port, why won't it integrate?

If you mean by "digital comm port" the L6-Link port, then yes it should, but the agenda /plan for this to happen has not arrived yet. AFAIK the only thing the L6-Link port on the back of Helix is doing now,  is feeding the DT-50 amp regular audio. Correct as needed as always. A midi cable (and Helix editor to program the midi) has to handle the control / switching parts.

If you are referring to Blanking out the presets on the DT-50, thats because it has the mic and amps (presets) -programmed in its 4 topo/channels. If you ran this into Helix and used Helix's own amps and mics it would sound muddy. Thats why you have to use something like DT-edit to clear all 4 settings right now in the DT-50 if you are going to use its (Class A/Class AB; pentode/triode) components. Then you use a midi cable to switch these via the control panel tab in Helix. Its a "thru the hoops" work around, but it sorta works. Right now the L6 LINK connection works with POD HD integration and does the control work for you. We are still waiting for the same with Helix.