Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Variax Standard Owner with Major Tuning Issues

mpelosi16

Hello All,

I've tried researching this topic myself but to no avail so I humbly come to the forum asking for help.

I recently purchased a Line 6 Variax Standard (white) about 10 days ago. Three days ago, I finally got some time to explore the guitar. That's when I noticed that most of the alternate tunings when played through multiple amplifiers / heads give this horrible, screechy, octave, feedback when played. Standard works fine. Open G ("Blues G") works alright, except for the A string. Anything else, even 1/2 step down is unplayable.

I really don't want to return the guitar as, when it comes to the model and playablity, I love it.

What I've Done So Far

1. Downloaded Line 6 Monkey and reinstalled all firmware updates

2. Downloaded the workbench

Are there any other patches / installations that can fix this, or is it a hardware issue that I will not be able to fix by myself? Overall, I think the guitar is awesome, but I can't look past the alternate tuning not work...even though I will, 99.9% of the time, play in standard.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike

I would reset the guitar to factory settings using the pilot manual instructions to be found here:

http://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/resources/

That's in case anyone has changed them before the guitar got to you.

There is also a comment in the HD workbench pilot manual also available from the above link which reads:

Why doesn’t the alt-tuning sound right when I blend in my magnetics with a Workbench HD model?
The magnetic pickups on your physical guitar are not alt tuned by the DSP.  So when you turn up the
Magnetics Blend level on an alt tuned model, you may hear dissonance.

I have to admit that I have to use headphones with my Variax Standard in order to stop the normal string tuning getting to my ears as well as the modelled tuning.

The work bench pilot manual does have more advice on the subject on page 14 of the 16 page manual

Summarizing, alternate tunings on the variax are only useful for the models, don't try to use them blended with the magnetic pickups. Then make sure you've got your FRFR or headphones turned up enough so that you can't hear the physical strings on the guitar.

But horrible, screechy, octave, feedback sounds like something else. One way that can happen is with magnetic pickups, really high gain, and high power so that you get electrical/noise feedback from the magnetic pickups. If that's not your case, then it sounds like an odd problem with the instrument. Maybe some kind of feedback loop.

• 2 months later...

My alternate tuning on my JTV-69S recently stopped working.  Line 6 had me pay shipping ($70 plus) for them to repair and I just got it back with zero improvement. They reflashed the firmware but when I play it through the Helix with my headphones on there is no change in tuning as I scroll from standard to DADGAD to Drop D etc.  I advised Line 6 and am waiting to hear back.  Anyone else experienced this?

My alternate tuning on my JTV-69S recently stopped working. Line 6 had me pay shipping ($70 plus) for them to repair and I just got it back with zero improvement. They reflashed the firmware but when I play it through the Helix with my headphones on there is no change in tuning as I scroll from standard to DADGAD to Drop D etc. I advised Line 6 and am waiting to hear back. Anyone else experienced this?

Well its not the typical alt tuning complaint...and this is probably a dumb question, but are you sure the modeling is engaged and you're not using the mags?