Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to back up your Helix

ibanezfan123

Use the Helix editor/app on your computer to back up each custom (not factory) setlist individually. You can then restore your custom setlists after updating. The update will load in the new factory presets associated with the latest firmware.

There is no automated backup/restore procedure for IRs. You can back them but the information about their slot number is not retained in the backup procedure. You need to manually manage that information to ensure that you can restore them to the correct slot. One way of doing this is to include the slot number as a 3-digit prefix to the IR name. Rename the IRS in that manner before you export them so you can restore them properly.

Hi guys. I am a new Helix user. I want to update my Helix to the latest firmware, but i am unclear on how to back up my settings like the instructions say to do. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

First make sure you are using the version of the Editor that matches your firmware version. I would do the following. You can be as thorough about it as you wish. Generally most people here recommend restoring setlists or individual presets as restoring a bundle overwrites everything including all the new Factory presets as well as the Templates. I backup two versions of everything in this list and I do it to two different PCs for good measure.

• Back up a bundle using the 'Export Bundle' link. I do this just to be thorough, I never restore from these.
  • Back up each setlist using the 'Export Setlist' link.
  • Highlight all presets in each setlist and export them using the 'Export' link to separate directories. If all the presets are highlighted they will export all at one time into separate files named for each preset. I use a separate directory for each setlist I am exporting from.
  • Export your IRs

• 3 years later...

Recently acquired helixFloor with old firmware 1.04.03, needs multiple updates, HX Edit opens but not responding, is there an older HXEdit version available to deal with older firmware? 

Continually get Connection Interrupted message. Any suggestions? USB cable appears to be fine.

4 hours ago, Cayuga said:

Recently acquired helixFloor with old firmware 1.04.03, needs multiple updates, HX Edit opens but not responding, is there an older HXEdit version available to deal with older firmware? 

Continually get Connection Interrupted message. Any suggestions? USB cable appears to be fine.

Hi,

You don’t mention if you are using a Mac or Windows PC to hook up to your Helix, but the procedure should be the same for either.

Way back at the dawn of time, when the Helix arrived in our time space continuum, there was no such thing as HX Edit. Rather confusingly to communicate with the hardware box from your computer, you needed to use the software librarian/edit program which was also named Helix. Actually I was named Helix app and it is still available in the free downloads section from the menu at the top of this page.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HELIX then from the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" select “HX EDIT”, now select your Mac/PC Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”. From the next page scroll right down the page until you find Helix Application v1.04 (released 2/16/16) and click the big blue button which says “GET DOWNLOAD”. On completion run the .exe or dmg file to install the software. Once installed you should run the “Helix.app” while connected to your hardware Helix via USB. If there are any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using “Helix.app” before updating the Firmware. If there is nothing that you wish to save (backup) from the pre-owned hardware you could skip this hassle and then proceed to next step of updating to the latest Firmware. Note: version 2.80 firmware introduced a major change to the Core operating system in the Helix. You might be able to jump right up to the latest version 2.92, but I would probably jump through the hoops of the core update at 2.8 first.

If you have been trying to communicate with your hardware using any other HX Edit software previously, please delete it. Mismatched versions can cause conflict - ensure your firmware number and Edit versions are the same.

Hope this helps/makes sense