Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 or HD500X

rxdca

If you find yourself running into the DSP limit on your HD500 often, then the HD500X might benefit you. There is about 20% more DSP. That's the biggest difference. The switches are also slightly different, supposed to be better quality, and they have an LED ring around them. And finally the screen's contrast is a little better.

But, please note, the extra DSP does not mean you can run more effect blocks. 

You have a limit of 8 blocks regardless of what unit you have. 

The 4 units (2 floor, 2 racks) are exactly the same -- they run the same software. I don't find any of them to be an upgrade from the other.

Yes, they each have some minute differences, but they are ultimately going to be the same.

If you want a backup unit, get one. If you are having problems with yours and need a new unit, get one.

But don't get one expecting an upgrade.  

• Upvote 1

But, please note, the extra DSP does not mean you can run more effect blocks. 

You have a limit of 8 blocks regardless of what unit you have. 

The 4 units (2 floor, 2 racks) are exactly the same -- they run the same software. I don't find any of them to be an upgrade from the other.

Yes, they each have some minute differences, but they are ultimately going to be the same.

If you want a backup unit, get one. If you are having problems with yours and need a new unit, get one.

But don't get one expecting an upgrade.  

Thanks. In which case I think I'll save my pennies for a Helix.

Thanks. In which case I think I'll save my pennies for a Helix.

Well, that is a debate that will wage on as well. 

Does the Helix sound 3x better to justify the 3x price? NO. But with more available blocks, you can make the sounds better. 

There are other reasons to buy a Helix besides the sound, like the need for more blocks or more inputs and outputs.

Those of use who only use one input jack are fine with 2010 technology.   

I keep my HD500 at church most of the time. But I want to work on my models and patches at home on the PC. Is there a USB PC interface that will work with the HD500 editor?

Like BillBee, I am confused by this question. 

I keep my HD500 at church most of the time. 

Multiple locations - that would be a reason to buy another 500 or an X. 

One of the benefits to using something like the Pod is the fact that you don't need to travel with a milk truck full of gear to get your sound. In fact, you don't need to travel with any gear. Make the sounds at home on one unit, and then put the patches on the unit at the other location. 

Another question:

I keep my HD500 at church most of the time. But I want to work on my models and patches at home on the PC. Is there a USB PC interface that will work with the HD500 editor?

Can't do that. The POD is your interface, and there's no modeling engine in the edit software. The sounds are in the POD itself, not your computer. HD Edit just allows you to make changes to a connected device with having to sit on the floor and navigate a tiny black and grey screen. There is an "offline" mode for HD Edit, though I have no idea why it even exists...you can make changes, but without the POD you can't hear anything, so it's essentially useless.

Another question:

You can run the PC editor in offline mode (no device connected) to construct presets, but you'd be doing so deafly. Also, model packs won't show up in the editor when using offline mode.

But trying to build presets without sound is a good exercise for the imagination. :)

I've only used the offline mode to see what is in a chain so I can manually dial something in. Yep, its when ole Bill gets lazy and doesn't want to connect the usb to see how a different patch was set (while knowing what it already sounds like).

You can run the PC editor in offline mode (no device connected) to construct presets, but you'd be doing so deafly. Also, model packs won't show up in the editor when using offline mode.

But trying to build presets without sound is a good exercise for the imagination. :)

No, what I was asking is there a device that would allow me to:

Guitar -> usb device -> HD500 edit

So that I can do some tweaking without having to bring the unit home... then bring it home later and upload the patch.

No, what I was asking is there a device that would allow me to:

Guitar -> usb device -> HD500 edit

So that I can do some tweaking without having to bring the unit home... then bring it home later and upload the patch.

As others above have mentioned, the only way to do what you want is to get another HD device (usb device in your nomenclature). I'm not positive about this, but if there are any POD HD Beans still floating around for purchase, that might do what you want for fairly cheap. They sometimes go on sale too.