Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Marshall Guv'nor in Jtm

granetf

Hello all,

I'm searching for a model for a Marshall Guv'nor pedal in Helix.

I have played on it years ago in studio (Gary-moore-fan-club-period) in front of an old JTM45 and i wish to find an equivalence in my helix 

Jcm 800 with clean-boost, TS808 ? 

Thanks

(English is not my mother tongue, but i do my best)

There is a JTM45 amp model on Helix.  Its my favorite for warm clean sounds and is very capable of soft smooth overdrive.  I love it with the Compulsive drive (based on OCD) and the Valve driver models. I generally set my drive level  much lower than the output level (mainly drive or gain to off and the output level 70-90%).

For your overdrive suggestions, I have never played a Guv'nor pedal myself so this is just a guess based on its circuitry type and what I've read - so feel free to ignore :)

But it looks like the TS808 would sound quite different sounding from the way they each clip.  Apparently the Guv'nor is a hard clip type pedal so you might find something closer to that in a distortion model rather than an overdrive.

On the Helix try the KWB, the Hedgehog D9, and the Vermin Dist models for something that is at least hard clipping and see if that gets you close to the sound you were looking for.

Now correct me if I'm wrong! The said pedal was based on Jeff Becks lead sound (the guv'nor is a nickname of his givens to him by Brian May. Mr May even did a song with the same title and Jeff gusting). With that said I would go for the vermin as Jeff loves the Rat.

But then again I could be completely wrong.

I still have one of those somewhere and I would say its almost like a Rat but not as bitey - smoother but still had punch. The EQ the pedal has make it really useable - when Marshall came out with the V2 of the pedal (the smaller stompbox sized one) the mojo seemed to vanish as the overall tone changed.

The Shredmaster (full tilt distortion) and Drivemaster (more OD) ones were real nice too.

Based on my experience with the Amplitube Ambass'dor clone of it, I'd agree it has less top end than many distortion pedals. Was never one of my faves, and I can't think of a Beck tone they might have been going for w it, but scenarios and mileages vary of course.

To me Beck's sound as many other players and more than some is in his 'fingers' and technique. Among other things the particular way that he uses his volume knob and simultaneously works the whammy gives him a unique sound. Apparently he stopped using a pick in the late 80's and did at least one tour relatively recently using the Klon Centaur.  My favorite work by him is definitely in the 70's when he made 'Blow By Blow' and 'Wired'; both of them masterpieces IMHO. Here is a great article on his technique: http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/under-investigation-jeff-beck/23068

I've got an original Guv'nor pedal (and the almost identical Drivemaster) by Marshall.

Pretty much a TS9 Tubescreamer type drive with more flexible EQ.

Try using the Helix 808 model with an EQ after it. Should get you in the ball park.