Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do you use overdrive stomp before amp ?

kpsion

Hi all

A question i have following my experimentation , how do you set disto or overdrive before amp ?

i' ve tend to think and i was wrong ifeel, that you put it at high level to boost amp but in a pod it result in what i call the plastic thing , a grrrrrrr sound in mid , very ugly

Trying to optimize my setting i've lowered stomp volume and even set volume so low that it decrease input volume , and pushing drive higher , this seems to give more natural sounding.

what's your experience ?

For me it depends on the amp I use (and I hope we are talking sims here not the real deal). If I use a clean amp I might want to use the tone characteristics of the pedal. Like a cranked Rat into a Fender sim. But if its an amp that I want to shine with its characteristics I usually go to a Tubescreamer and crank the vol while having the drive at or near 0%.

Like Nico pointed out:

Try not to get in the habit of cranking everything to 10 as gain/distortion can lead to diminishing returns. What is nice at bedroom volumes will have its EQ skewed by the time your amplification choice has it at gig volume. There are a couple really good threads here which can help take out the excessive lows and highs.

+1 on the clean boost (tube screamer) approaches...

One of my favorite pedals for this is a stock Boss DS-1....clip out two resistors and the distortion potential drops by nearly 10x and the clean level potential jumps about +12db or so....you can also take a cap out and make the tone control less effective turning it into a treble booster...

and for those pushing pod hd disto stomp realy high don't you notice an artificial low mid texture , it hard to explain  in phonetic this souns like a nasal grrrrrrrrr plastic sound

I had this with Treadplate brit j800  , this disappear when lowering output volume on stomp

Nowadays i ends up using classic dist at 40% drive or a bit more and 30% volume, in fact i try to set the volume to a point it doesn't change volume level when on offed and add some dirt with drive.