Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cab Block's Knob 1 Press to Reset behavoir

MusicLaw

The Helix's Speaker Cab Block's Mic Choice parameter (Knob 1), when pressed, did not reset the chosen Cab Model's Mic parameter value to it's factory default!? Instead, it is changed to the first Mic in the Mic List (i.e 57 Dynamic).

For instance, I was exploring the 2x12 Double C12N Cabinet Block, in its own Block. The Model's factory default Mic is the 121 Ribbon. Pressing Knob 1 changes the Mic to 57 Dynamic!?

This happens regardless if the Cab is a stand alone Cab Block or an Amp+Cab Block. (Obviously, for any Cab Model with the 57 Dynamic mic as its factory default mic parameter value, this issue is moot.)

Might this be a bug? If so, I can submit it on a Support Ticket.

My Helix is 3 weeks new and has 2.10 installed.

As a consequence of the above, there is no direct method to get back to the default mic value short of manually reseleting it, (if you noted it in the first place). You must actually select a different Cab Block model, and then reselect the original cab block model. Doing this, however, resets all the parameter values for that block. On a grander scale, if the Preset had been saved before changing the mic value, switching to another Preset and then back to the subject Preset will accomplish restoring the Mic value, however at the cost of resetting all parameter values of all blocks in the Preset. Not convenient for editing presets!

The Helix's Speaker Cab Block's Mic Choice parameter (Knob 1), when pressed, did not reset the chosen Cab Model's Mic parameter value to it's factory default!? Instead, it is changed to the first Mic in the Mic List (i.e 57 Dynamic).

For instance, I was exploring the 2x12 Double C12N Cabinet Block, in its own Block. The Model's factory default Mic is the 121 Ribbon. Pressing Knob 1 changes the Mic to 57 Dynamic!?

This happens regardless if the Cab is a stand alone Cab Block or an Amp+Cab Block. (Obviously, for any Cab Model with the 57 Dynamic mic as its factory default mic parameter value, this issue is moot.)

Might this be a bug? If so, I can submit it on a Support Ticket.

My Helix is 3 weeks new and has 2.10 installed.

As a consequence of the above, there is no direct method to get back to the default mic value short of manually reseleting it, (if you noted it in the first place). You must actually select a different Cab Block model, and then reselect the original cab block model. Doing this, however, resets all the parameter values for that block. On a grander scale, if the Preset had been saved before changing the mic value, switching to another Preset and then back to the subject Preset will accomplish restoring the Mic value, however at the cost of resetting all parameter values of all blocks in the Preset. Not convenient for editing presets!

It might be fair to classify this as a bug as most effect parameters revert to their default when pressed. I can verify that this is the same behavior I see. The mic always reverts back to the first one in the list (57 dynamic) when the parameter knob is pressed.

Along those lines I would love to see blocks keep their parameters in memory until you shifted focus to another block. In other words, if you are trying to select a distortion block, you modify its settings and then want to compare different models, each time you switch to a different distortion model the parameters change back to their defaults if you return to the one you just modified. For comparison I would prefer that the different distortions retain the settings I choose until I switch away from the block. This would be handy for most of the block categories. Right now the only way to do comparisons that have your own custom settings within a category is to set up multiple blocks and switch between them. Not always convenient or even possible if you are running low on DSP. This particularly applies to amplifier blocks where just a couple of them with a few effect blocks consume all the DSP. It would be great if at least the editor had this capability.

It might be fair to classify this as a bug as most effect parameters revert to their default when pressed. I can verify that this is the same behavior I see. The mic always reverts back to the first one in the list (57 dynamic) when the parameter knob is pressed.

Along those lines I would love to see blocks keep their parameters in memory until you shifted focus to another block. In other words, if you are trying to select a distortion block, you modify its settings and then want to compare different models, each time you switch to a different distortion model the parameters change back to their defaults if you return to the one you just modified. For comparison I would prefer that the different distortions retain the settings I choose until I switch away from the block. This would be handy for most of the block categories. Right now the only way to do comparisons that have your own custom settings within a category is to set up multiple blocks and switch between them. Not always convenient or even possible if you are running low on DSP. This particularly applies to amplifier blocks where just a couple of them with a few effect blocks consume all the DSP. It would be great if at least the editor had this capability.

I concur that, while auditioning different models of a block within a Preset, it would be advantageous to have a user's interim values persist as different block models are tried. This would be a nice enhancement! For my Fender Mustang amp's Fender's FUSE software lacks this feature. However, the exceptional 3rd party REMUDA Android App does remember a user's preferred FX settings parameters and amp settings in two ways. Both, when retrieving them from the menu and between amp profiles. This makes comparison auditiong between model much better. Helix should have the equivalent functionality on board, w/o requiring any Editior software.

Agree w both the above. The Mesa EQ also doesn't reset correctly.

Have not tried those knobs yet. Nonetheless, they should be consistent to reset to factory default. 

Some parameters do not necessarily have a default, just reverts back to what is first on the list of choices.

They should all act consistently unless another operational status or mode is active and blatantly obvious.

Some parameters do not necessarily have a default, just reverts back to what is first on the list of choices.

This makes sense to me for parameters such as 'Time' in the delay where pressing the parameter button simply switches back and forth between milliseconds and note subdivisions. I suppose Line6 could have made a conscious decision that there is no 'default' mic for a cabinet and had it jump back to the first selection in the list intentionally although that behavior does not seem to be consistent with most other parameters. What other parameters other than binary ones with only two choices and the already mentioned Cali (Mesa) EQ have you found on the Helix that don't jump back to their default when the button is pressed?

Re keeping block parameters when you change a block's type, as people have said, similar parameters don't always exist, or they may have a very different effect.

In some cases though, especially with cabs, the same controls ARE there, and it'd be great if they didn't change when switching to a different cab. I'd love to listen to different ones with the same settings.

If that was the default behavior, it would be good to have a button or other action to reset the whole block to its default settings, all parameters at once.

Re keeping block parameters when you change a block's type, as people have said, similar parameters don't always exist, or they may have a very different effect.

In some cases though, especially with cabs, the same controls ARE there, and it'd be great if they didn't change when switching to a different cab. I'd love to listen to different ones with the same settings.

If that was the default behavior, it would be good to have a button or other action to reset the whole block to its default settings, all parameters at once.

I can see where having the same settings stick from model to model might be cool under some circumstances such as cabs where the parameters remain exactly the same. I like your idea as well.

In the example referred to in the previous posts we are not talking about transferring parameter settings to the next model when you switch to another model. We are talking about retaining your settings from the last model (those settings would apply only to the last model not the one you are switching to) such that you could switch back and forth between say a Vermin and a Minotaur where you have customized the settings, perhaps differently, for both pedals for comparison. If you switched away from the block only the settings on your last model choice would be retained (same behavior as we currently have).

We are not talking about transferring parameter settings to the next model when you switch to another model. We are talking about retaining your settings from the last model (those settings would apply only to that model) such that you could switch back and forth between say a Vermin and a Minotaur where you have customized the settings for both pedals for comparison. If you switched away from the block only the settings on your last model choice would be retained (same behavior as we currently have).

I think the way to do that is to include multiple instances of the model type (e.g. Include both a Vermin and a Minotaur) in the signal chain during the comparison stage. I know this consumes DSP but it allows you to retain the settings for each as you enable/bypass them. Assign them both to the same FS to turn them on/off inversely and you can compare easily while you play (or use the looper in pre position). When you've decided which one you want to keep you can delete the other, or keep them both if you don't need the DSP.

Of course this strategy becomes more difficult as you approach the DSP limit, and/or use DSP-intensive blocks like amps, cabs (especially dual cabs), and IRs. On the other hand, when building presets you normally start with the amps and cabs/IRs before moving on to the FX. Doing so allows you to duplicate things with as much DSP available as possible.

I think the way to do that is to include multiple instances of the model type (e.g. Include both a Vermin and a Minotaur) in the signal chain during the comparison stage. I know this consumes DSP but it allows you to retain the settings for each as you enable/bypass them. Assign them both to the same FS to turn them on/off inversely and you can compare easily while you play (or use the looper in pre position). When you've decided which one you want to keep you can delete the other, or keep them both if you don't need the DSP.

Of course this strategy becomes more difficult as you approach the DSP limit, and/or use DSP-intensive blocks like amps, cabs (especially dual cabs), and IRs.

Heh, you and I are definitely on the same page Silverhead. I said almost exactly the same thing in an earlier post.  :)