Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner trouble...

rickthestick

Mine works as before. However, it's not saying much. I'm not happy with onboard tuner at all.

I don't know if it's just too squirly and jittery or not accurate or something else. I now use my polytune by connecting it to a send jack. Now when I hold the tap button both tuners  get signal.

Maybe check the input shown on the screen when you hold the tap button? Make sure it's getting signal from correct input. That might be it.

Regards,

I have not had any issues on the 2.10 firmware with the tuner not working. I hate to participate in restarting the tuner debate or see the OP's thread hijacked but I also think that although the increased sensitivity is awesome it is still too jumpy. I had some fresh strings on my guitar for the latest update and I thought it had stabilized but that was just the 'new firmware placebo effect'. I agree with those who feel that it still moves around like a seismograph at a Nevada test site or a Calico in a catnip factory. I believe it still needs to have a moment where it settles. It absolutely causes my tuning to take longer during practices and performances.

I have found that playing an open string (while muting all others) then abruptly muting it gives me the best results. It gives the tuner less than a second to measure the input. Seems if the string is left to ring out, that is when the display gets jumpy. 

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using an JTV-89F with the VDI cable. That may make a difference. The last gig this week was tonight so I'll be moving to 2.11 this weekend but I don't think anything in the tuner was addressed in the latest update.

I think so too, because there is nothing to address ;-)

What I found with Variax guitar connected with VDI is that is hard to tune when modelling is on. I always turn it off for tuning and use magnetics instead.

Otherwise the tuner works fine for me.

I usually use the tuner on the Helix foot controller when Helix is powered up. Why? Because It's less "accurate" as stated above, and therefore much less jumpy/jittery/buggy than whats shown on main Helix racks screen, its easier to read, tune from, and using it is a snap. I like the floor controllers tuner much more than the one shown in the rack. Now If I want to set intonation I use the strobe tuner on my Kemper. Why? Its just so much better in every way. If this is being read as me being disappointed in the comparisons and accuracy between the Helix and Kemper tuners, then you would have read me correctly and spot on. Period. The real issue for me is that Helix tuner doesn't have to be so accurate (as stated above) , to work correctly.  ;)