Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Picking up radio broadcast through my Pod HD500X

JimPatt54

A recent development. I have determined that my HD500X Pod is picking up local radio signals. It is not my guitar, my other pedals or my amp. Any suggestions?

You could try lining a cardboard box, big enough to fit the pod in, with tin foil and put that box on top of it to see if shielding it like that works.

I use a 10 foot monster cable from my guitar to the pod. Another 10 ft monster cable to the amp input. I've even unplugged the output cable (bypassing the amp) and listened to the music through the headphone jack on the pod. If I go through my other pedals and bypass the pod completely, I hear no radio. It doesn't appear to be cables; it's in the pod.

I use a 10 foot monster cable from my guitar to the pod. Another 10 ft monster cable to the amp input. I've even unplugged the output cable (bypassing the amp) and listened to the music through the headphone jack on the pod. If I go through my other pedals and bypass the pod completely, I hear no radio. It doesn't appear to be cables; it's in the pod.

You disconnected the amp and pedals, but did you disconnect the guitar as well? 

Place a noise gate in your signal chain and max the gate so that nothing passes through. Try it once at the start off the chain. Try it again at the end of the chain. 

Does it help?

Next step -- plug it in to a different outlet. 

+1 to piano guy's experiment. Alternatively, don't plug the guitar in at all. No guitar and no guitar cable. And no amp. And no USB cable. Only headphones plugged into the pod which, in turn, is plugged into the AC power mains. Turn it on with a blank signal chain. Is the radio still there? If no, invoke an amp and fiddle with the gain/volume controls. Any change?

How old is the lead & how is it kept (coiled, tied, etc.)?

Leads degrade over time, so if they're over 5 years old (even high grade cables), consider replacing them.

Coiling the leads for storage seems to be the worst way to keep them, they appear to degrade quicker using this method than any other.