Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ext Amp - PRS ARCHON

jambomarc

Hey, I've searched the internet and the forums and have not been able to find a definitive answer.

I use the Helix in a 4CM with my amp, the PRS Archon. I currently use the given PRS Footswitch to change channel and turn the FX loop on/off. I was looking to be able to do both these functions with the Helix instead of the PRS footswitch.

Is this possible? I know there's lots of issues with other amps, but unsure if this works with the Archon. The last thing I want is to damage the electrics on my amp and I have limited knowlegde on how all this works.

I found this cable online which I assume would be suitable for both functions!? 

https://btpa.com/AS-ARCHON-XX.html

Cheers, 

Marc

Congratulations PRS! You get the award for MOST PATHETIC USER MANUAL/PRODUCT INFO!

If I was you, I'd contact PRS Support for this. It LOOKS, from the pathetic website picture of the back panel, like a proprietary footswitch.

Congratulations PRS! You get the award for MOST PATHETIC USER MANUAL/PRODUCT INFO!

If I was you, I'd contact PRS Support for this. It LOOKS, from the pathetic website picture of the back panel, like a proprietary footswitch.

I always go to Sweetwater's site for high-res photos. Yep, the silk reads "USE ONLY WITH PRS FOOTSWITCH."

Sorry. :(

I've contacted PRS before to ask about this before.  They specifically recommended I look into Voodoo Labs cables that have the 5-pin connection to 1/4" TRS, just like the cable you linked.

PRS also said they offer the option to modify the Archon itself to change the connection on the back to a regular 1/4" TRS connection for $50 plus shipping.  They mentioned that with this modification the footswitch LEDs would no longer respond, so I think thats all the 5 pin connection is doing.  They didn't seem to be concerned with using other footswitch options on their amp.  

I would double check it that cable with PRS, they are very quick to respond to customer service emails.

Hey I may be off-topic but I just wanted to ask what your opinion is of the new PRS archon model on the Helix have you messed with it at all and do you feel that it's a very close representation of your amplifier

I'm loving both the cleans and hi gain sounds.  I've played the physical version of the Archon on a regular basis for a couple years now and the model really holds up well. I had to get away from the idea of EQing it the same way I do on the physical Archon (monitors vs 4x12), but the Helix model feels and reacts very closely to the real deal.