Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No comments yet on hot-fix release v2.11?

silverhead

It was released and announced more then two hours ago. The initial updaters have usually provided feedback by now.

Let me be the first....

My update to v2.11 editor and firmware went smoothly (following instructions of course  :P )

Don't forget to start by downloading and installing all components of the editor installation package. Don't start by downloading the firmware.

Uh oh. I started by downloading the firmware from the website, and then the Helix app.

Then I backed everything up before running the Helix app installer. Then flashed from the pre-downloaded file.

I always get nervous when flashing Helix. I'm afraid there's gonna be a power loss. It doesn't help that it takes sooo looong for the flashing to actually be done.

Went smoothly though.

It's fine to download the firmware first as long as you use the latest Updater program (the one in the editor package) to install it 'From File'.

The problems start when you download the firmware file and immediately install it using the previous version of the Updater program rather than the current one - which is bundled in the editor package that you haven't yet downloaded. :angry: :(

I would also suggest: power off/on again after doing the global / factory reset. This should take care of "rebuild preset" message. I usually do this twice to verify Helix powers-up correctly.

I pretty much do the same thing. I do notice that all the presets are rebuilt after Helix restarts automatically when the flash is complete. When that's done I power off, then on. Then I power off again, then power on while holding switches 9 & 10. Then I change any global settings I need changed. Then import my presets (from the previous firmware version) and IRs. Then power cycle again to have those presets rebuilt.

I always get nervous when flashing Helix. I'm afraid there's gonna be a power loss. It doesn't help that it takes sooo looong for the flashing to actually be done.

Mine's permanently plugged into a UPS, so I am not concerned about power outages. Even a cheapie UPS that you can get for around USD$50 at (that Big Box store) will last you far longer than what is needed to finish the firmware update process, including rebuilding presets twice, as Helix seems to be very fond of doing.

Your first priority before you download anything new or flash any firmware is to backup your presets and IRs. You don't want to go accidentally installing the new version of the Editor before you get your backups using your current version of the Editor. The instructions are clear about this. Backups first!!!

I updated to the new version 2.11. Everything went smoothly. Thanks Line6 for getting this out!

Yay!

Do I gather that there are only fixes in this release, no new features? I'm not complaining if that's the case, just asking, those bugs needed to be addressed, I skipped 2.10 because of them.

Are people seeing that the mentioned issues are actually settled?

Simple back-up and installation process for me late last night to update from FW 2.10 to 2.11.

However... I can say that I find it maddening that a couple of things don't re-import as expected, one of which has been around since the beginning for my part;

- Importing presets with functions grouped onto a footswitch (in this case, maxed out to 8 functions) always flips the LED status for me; meant to be off, but comes in as on, so I have to go through and do the touch-to highlight a block in the state that I want reflected by the LED ring, then re-save. Not a big deal, except that I have a great many patches affected by this - these pre-date Snapshots, so that's how I was going about a lot of my patch state adjustments, and haven't felt the need or desire to alter the paradigm of those presets.

(And it's recorded here on the forum that others have observed the same behavior)

- Auto-engage; I set it up so that, for instance, wah engages at the very top - toe-down - position, similar to pressing down for the toe-switch. It's more intuitive for me that way.

Firmware 2.10 made that simple enough, by going to bypass assign, and while looking at the parameters you want to set (for instance, engage at 99% or less of sweep), you change the default behavior by simply tapping the bypass button *from that screen*.

However... upon re-importing after cleaning house for the new firmware update, the bypass state of the auto-engage is flipped back around: bringing up the preset has the wah off as expected. However, moving the EXP pedal to engage on those presets I set up for this now engage ONLY at 100% - so the parameter I chose was maintained, but the bypass behavior relative to the pedal movement is flipped back to what appears to be the default.

Required going into each one and re-assigning the bypass state, and re-saving.

Fortunately I hadn't gone whole hog on changing to auto-engage wah (though I sincerely want to) - otherwise flipping those would have kept me quite busy, along with the function switches.

I'm inclined to consider these factors to be bugs, as they create unexpected results after re-import of presets.

Makes the housekeeping more intensive than intended, I suspect.

• Upvote 1

As others have stated this firmware revision was intended for several bug fixes.  I welcome Line6's effort to put out bug fixes quickly and not feel like they have to be accompanied by new features.  :)

Agree. I also support them getting SOME fixes out before they fixes for all known bugs.

That said, I hope the other things people have reported as bugs get fixed soon, because they've definitely impacting some people.

Folks who have these problems, if you haven't already, file a real support ticket to get them on L6's radar for real. Please don't just talk about them here.

• Upvote 3

Anyone using a Variax done the 2.11 update yet? I had a lot of problems with Variax patches in 2.10 that I don't really want to re-experience. One was not seeing Variax settings on the input block in the editor. Another was getting the alternate tunings to work properly in snapshots. I didn't see anything in the release notes addressing Variax issues, so I'm wondering if these issues are still there.

I use a Variax JTV-59 connected via VDI. I too was having both issues with v2.1 that you mention. Both issues are now fixed in v2.11. The Input block is a straight up fix. The alternate tunings issue wasn't fully resolved until I disconnected and reconnected the VDI cable at both ends/devices. Can't explain why but I haven't had any alt tuning issues since the disconnect/reconnect.

I did the v2.11 update this afternoon. I can verify that some of the Variax problems are still there. Some of my patches have snapshots that change Variax models and tunings. One of these patches imported fine, but none of the others. What seemed to be common is that the Variax model chosen by snapshot 1 would be wrong, just the wrong model. Changing the model and saving would be ok until I switched from snapshot 1 to some other snapshot and then back to snapshot 1. It would always choose whatever variax model it got incorrect, not matter what I saved. Other snapshots seemed to be fine, just snapshot 1 was bad and couldn't be fixed.

To fix this I had to change the input to something that didn't include the Variax, then switch back to either Variax or Multi - depending on the patch. This would loose all my Variax settings, controllers, model setting and tunings, for all snapshots. I could then recreate all these settings and it seemed to work fine after that.

So I'm guessing that like some of the other issues in 2.10, there is some version migration problem with the variax data in a patch. It might be possible to figure out what that is by comparing the Helix files that I imported with the ones I updated to get it working.

Also I still have the problem with footswitches that control multiple blocks showing the state of the wrong block. That's easy to fix, but is a pain to do with a lot of patches.

• Upvote 2

I am waiting until after this weekend's gig to do the update, but have not experienced the Variax issues seen above. I have numerous presets with JTV models chosen that have worked fine since the 2.10 update that were migrated from 2.01 without issues. I did have the snapshot EXP 1/2 issue like everyone, and worked through it.

Dave

Uh oh. I started by downloading the firmware from the website, and then the Helix app.

Then I backed everything up before running the Helix app installer. Then flashed from the pre-downloaded file.

Went smoothly though.

It seems like an "old" way of doing updates also a bit tricky

Like it was before line 6 monkey was released..

This is how i do it..

First i save all setlist and as all my favourite IR and those from some bought presets i havge like fremen and chris beaver is already on my computer numbered and in folders i dont need to save those..

Then i dl the latest editor wich also come with the latest drivers and updater then i simply just install that software (on windows it is dead easy to install over the old software) and then i hook up Helix via usb open the updater choose Helix update the fw and do the fs 9-10

Then i simply just reload all setlist

But next time if i think i gonna wait for the bug fixes before i update if can do that it might be some fine amps and effects released so i cant wait :)

Oh b.t.w sometimes like when fw 2.0 was released i had to reload the fw again as something went wrong the first time but it didnt do any harm to my Helix..

No problems doing the update this time, EXCEPT, I lost all of my Variax settings in all my patches and though I tried, my IR's got all screwed up again.

I know this is user error and a live and learn situation. But it's going to take me hours to get my Variax settings back. I thought those settings would stay with the patch when I imported it. Obviously not. 

I'll probably never get my IR's back to where they were, so I'll just start assigning new ones to each patch as I use them.

I pretty pissy right now. I don't mind tweaking. I hate tweaking the same freaking thing over and over. Rant over.

Seriously though, I think I'm going to sit out updates from now on until they get the procedure working better than it is. I really had no problems before the update and now I have a ton of work for what, two new amps that I could live without? I guess now the rant is over.

No problems doing the update this time, EXCEPT, I lost all of my Variax settings in all my patches and though I tried, my IR's got all screwed up again.

I know this is user error and a live and learn situation. But it's going to take me hours to get my Variax settings back. I thought those settings would stay with the patch when I imported it. Obviously not. 

I'll probably never get my IR's back to where they were, so I'll just start assigning new ones to each patch as I use them.

I pretty pissy right now. I don't mind tweaking. I hate tweaking the same freaking thing over and over. Rant over.

Unless you restore the IRs to the same slots they were in you may have to re-select them. Can't help with that but (and I am not sure from your post if this was a secondary issue) you may not have lost your Variax settings. There is a quirk (bug?) in the Variax implementation on the Helix. On the Helix go to the second page on the Input block for any Variax preset and set the value of the 'Variax Settings' parameter to 'Per Preset'. You can also do it from the Input block screen on the Editor. The quirk/bug is that even though this setting is found locally within a preset it acts like a global parameter and makes all Variax presets revert back to their respective 'Per Preset' settings.  All your Vairax presets should now display the proper settings (other than perhaps pointing to the correct IR).

The update process went pretty smoothly for me this time and so far, everything seems to be working as it should. I do wish we don't have to restore everything after an update though. The whole process seems needlessly archaic to me.

Ok, one little issue. It seems that the expression pedal's Position is no longer tracked by the system. I've changed its settings to Global, to preset and to per snapshot. Nada. It used to be that when you set it to Global, the expression pedal's position was always tracked and you could count on your volume levels to be a certain way. Not anymore.

Booooo😠

Ok, one little issue. It seems that the expression pedal's Position is no longer tracked by the system. I've changed its settings to Global, to preset and to per snapshot. Nada. It used to be that when you set it to Global, the expression pedal's position was always tracked and you could count on your volume levels to be a certain way. Not anymore.

Booooo

Did you set 'EXP 2' to global?  There are separate settings for the various Expression pedal inputs in the global settings now. It is working fine for me. Also, did you do a global reset after your firmware update (do backups first)?

Did you set 'EXP 2' to global? There are separate settings for the various Expression pedals in the global settings now. It is working fine for me. Also, did you do a global reset after your firmware update (do backups first)?

Did the update "by the book". But why does Exp 2 have to be Global? I am not using an external pedal.

Did the update "by the book". But why does Exp 2 have to be Global? I am not using an external pedal.

'EXP 2' is the default for the floor Helix's internal expression pedal assignment for the Volume block. You have to set 'EXP 2' to 'Global' in the global settings if you want the pedal position for volume to be global for all your presets. Unless of course you have a preset where you have reassigned the default for the volume block to an alternate EXP input.

'EXP 2' is the default for the floor Helix's internal expression pedal assignment for the Volume block. You have to set 'EXP 2' to 'Global' in the global settings if you want the pedal position for volume to be global for all your presets. Unless of course you have a preset where you have reassigned the default for the volume block to an alternate EXP input.

Ah, I see. Thanks... once again, HO.

No wonder I got confused.  In the manual, it says, 

1. EXP 2 and 3 Two additional expression pedals can be connected to Helix and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. 

If that's the case, why did they make EXP 2 the default controller for the built in expression pedal?  How does one use EXP1?  Since there are connectors for external pedals for EXP 2 & 3, wouldn't it make more sense to make the internal default to EXP1?  This seems needlessly confusing to me.

EXP 1 is the default controller for the Wah FX.

Here's a snip from the Controllers page of the manual:

NOTE: Adding a Wah or Pitch Wham block automatically assigns it to be controlled by EXP 1. Adding a Volume Pedal or Pan block automatically assigns it to be controlled by EXP 2.

EXP 1 is the default controller for the Wah FX.

Here's a snip from the Controllers page of the manual:

NOTE: Adding a Wah or Pitch Wham block automatically assigns it to be controlled by EXP 1. Adding a Volume Pedal or Pan block automatically assigns it to be controlled by EXP 2.

Now, why couldn't they have included that info in this page?

1. EXP 2 and 3 Two additional expression pedals can be connected to Helix and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. 

It feels like the info in the manual is scattered all over the place. Drives me nuts.

No wonder I got confused.  In the manual, it says, 

1. EXP 2 and 3 Two additional expression pedals can be connected to Helix and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. 

If that's the case, why did they make EXP 2 the default controller for the built in expression pedal?  How does one use EXP1?  Since there are connectors for external pedals for EXP 2 & 3, wouldn't it make more sense to make the internal default to EXP1?  This seems needlessly confusing to me.

I think the reasoning as to why the wah defaults to being controlled by EXP1 and the volume/pan defaults to EXP2 is that this was done prior to the auto-engage functionality, so if you had a wah, you'd want it to be turned on and off via the EXP toe switch, and therefore most people use EXP1 as the wah and EXP2 as a volume pedal.

Now, why couldn't they have included that info in this page?

1. EXP 2 and 3 Two additional expression pedals can be connected to Helix and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. 

It feels like the info in the manual is scattered all over the place. Drives me nuts.

I think the challenge in manuals is that everyone tends to process and visualize this functionality a little differently. Just difficult to approach everything from everything different angle, I think.

I think the reasoning as to why the wah defaults to being controlled by EXP1 and the volume/pan defaults to EXP2 is that this was done prior to the auto-engage functionality, so if you had a wah, you'd want it to be turned on and off via the EXP toe switch, and therefore most people use EXP1 as the wah and EXP2 as a volume pedal.

I think the challenge in manuals is that everyone tends to process and visualize this functionality a little differently. Just difficult to approach everything from everything different angle, I thin

I think this is a matter of organization.  Why exclude a piece of information that quite obviously belongs in a certain section?  This is about Expression pedals and the two sentences you posted to clarify the issue, thanks BTW, would certainly have fit in Section 17 which is... surprise - about Expression Pedals. It was two sentences - easy enough to copy and paste it to the Controllers page. 

On a positive note, I completely love the Litigator and Archetype Clean!!

Hi Guys! I have updated my Helix firmware to 2.11 and rebuilt the presets. Now, when I downloaded the files for the update I found a Helix_FLOOR_v2_11_0_bundle.hxf file. Does this new bundle include new, updated factory presets? Am I supposed to import it after Helix rebuilds the presets? I think so. But I'm not sure.
I know I needed to import my custom presets and I have done that. Is this new 2.11 bundle for the new amps and presets?