Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + power amp for practice and stage

jeffhucik

So for a while now I have been wanting to find a good solution for using my Helix Rack at practice and clubs with out a FOH option.. yeah I could run it through the PA but I don't want to fight with the vocals while my other guitarist is still just playing un-mic'd. I ended up settle on the ISP stealth. 180wat A/B and It's considered a "pedal board" power amp. I'm running it through my oversized 2x12 with v30's... so I get the stealth and it was very thin.. It just didn't have the thump of a tube amp! Of course it's a very neutral power supply and relys on what your putting through it to provide the tone. I ended up throwing a Parametric eq at the end of the chain and added som low end, cleaned up the mids, and added some air. It was definitely better... BUT I was still left wanting something.. I then decided to go for the Fryette Power station which is a 50watt tube power amp among other things. 2 6L6's.. just ordered it today. I'll update my thoughts when it comes in if anyone is interested!

I just played through one of their 2/50/2 a few nights ago and loved it. The power station sounds pretty interesting. I would love to read your experiences with it if you go that route.

That's awesome! I definitely will! I bought and it shipped in the same day, very impressed. Even asked a question and had a response in the same day. I will keep this updated for sure!

I'm really interested in your experience.  I have seen good things about it from a couple of others in this forum.

I currently use the power amp in of a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 head into a Mesa 212 that I think sounds very neutral.  But I would like to go with the smaller Fryette PS2.

I'm really interested in your experience. I have seen good things about it from a couple of others in this forum.

I currently use the power amp in of a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 head into a Mesa 212 that I think sounds very neutral. But I would like to go with the smaller Fryette.

Unfortunately there is a longer history with our friends in he AXE and KPA community vs. the helix.. Just because they have been around longer... good results from what I've read, so I wanted to try it against ours. Thanks for your interest! I will absolutely update!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have had some time to try the Fryette with my Helix Rack and I think it sounds pretty dam good through my 2x12 V30's. It has more life than the isp Stealth had. I found the best results by running it into the effects loop return rather than the line in. That also enables you to use the eq switches on the face of the unit. I think it's a great pair for a live and practice Helix. Also, Since I run a studio, the other functions of the Power Station are very useful as well which makes it a big plus. The most common use I will apply is using it to run an amp into it to use its reactive load function. I then will take the line out into the Helix and use it as an Ir loader before going into my converter. This bypasses miking and actual cab. I've done this several times and it's a great tool to use and sounds great.

Thanks for reporting back. Interesting about helix into the PS effects return over the line in.

The reactive load and attenuation features are attractive as well.

It seems to gave taken online retailers a long time to get these in stock. I kept watching the dates being pushed.

I'll probably snag one after winter NAMM if nothing else interesting lips up there from Line 6 ;)

Hey I know this is isn't exactly what you're looking for, but....when I practice at home, I run the HELIX (Floor) 1/4" L (Mono) Out into the FX Loop Return of my Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister 36 (which uses the power amp, and bypasses the preamp), then run the Speaker Out to an Orange PPC112 (1x12" Celestion Vintage 30).

.........when I perform live, I usually run the stereo XLR Outs on the HELIX for FOH, and use the GM 36/V30 as a pretty badass monitor for myself ;-).

FWIW, I've got a Quilter ToneBlock200 as a backup to my DT25.   I think it sounds great with my Helix.  I'm not positive about price, but I think it come in a bit cheaper than the other power amps listed here.  In fact I just picked up another used one for about $285.   I built a 1x12 cab with an airhead so I could mount the Quilter as an alternative to the DT25.   I think it sounds great.

I actually first looked at the Toneblock! But They discontinued the older cheaper one and couldn't find a used one. That's where the ISP Stealth came in. Was a bit to thin for me and that's why I ended up with the Power Station. I'm really digging it. The ISP was petty good though for someone not picky.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I picked up the ISP Stealth 180 and run it in Stereo mode to a stereo 4x12 with my Helix. If you are using it this way with a standard cabinet, make sure your Cab emulation is OFF or it WILL be thin sounding. With or without an IR, it sounds great! Plenty of power.

Here's a tip for practice: don't turn the Helix on.  You will spend all of your time tweaking and trying new things and you wont get any playing done (that's what happens to me).

I have a Quilter 101 mini head that I use with a homemade 1x12 cabinet and it works great with the Helix going to the effects return.  Plenty of power.  It is also a beast in 4cm.  Or just by itself, so I don't get distracted by the Helix.  Unlike tube amps it sounds as good at low volumes as it does at high volumes.  It has a Class D poweramp so you can still use the poweramp model in Helix and as long as the cab model used is similar to the real cabinet I don't notice a huge tone difference between FOH and the physical cabinet.