Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing Questions......

Equilibrium_606

Hey Guys,

This has most likely been covered....but I would like to pick your brains regarding some routing with the Helix.

I use the Helix as my main device for my guitar signal & I also play synth via Ableton (Samples. Piano, Looping,etc.)

So far I have a lot of success doing this in studio, BUT my band will start to gig next year....So I need to find out if the following routing is possible.

1) All Samples, Synth & Looping via XLR outs to front of house

2)1/4 inch outs from Helix running guitar signal to Active Speakers in our back line

3) Returns  1/4 running IEM signal from USB 3/4 & 5/6 from Abelton (Two different Mixes for Vocals & Guitars )

4) Sending a Signal from Ableton USB 7/8 split 1) for bass channel to FOH & Click to Drummer) via Returns

5) Running 2 Channels from outboard mixer into 2 Sends for Ableton input

In Ableton I am running a monitor mix for everyone. I will be getting the vocals, guitar signal & drum mix from a external mixer.  I will have my own channel for the guitars & vocals in Ableton.The idea is to have a Main mix (Samples, Guitars Vocals) in Ableton that goes out to front of house, a separate Bass Track to FOH  & then have two different monitor mixes running out via USB to the Return outs via the Helix.

My patches are DSP heavy so I can't make separate signal paths on the Helix. Will Ableton/DAW be able to route everything as mentioned above?

As always, I appreciate your time & advice!!

Thanks in advance!

Imho, even if you can do all this with Helix, you shouldn't. That's too much to ask from one piece of gear in a gig situation.

Hi Peter, thanks for the input. If I may ask....why would you say that?

Most of the routing & heavy lifting gets done by my Mac & Ableton.

I have tested the guitar, loop & synth setup for the past year & is very stable at rehearsal & recording sessions.

The big thing for me is the IEM routing via the Send & Returns, just wanted to know if it was possible. 

There is no extra processing happening from the device, only routing from Ableton to the different destinations.

Appreciate your input!!!

You've made Helix the single point of failure for way way too much imho.

yes, it CAN do all those things, but I don't feel it should.

I personally have 3 different sounds coming from Helix all the time, but they are coming from just the one instrument.

You've made Helix the single point of failure for way way too much imho.

yes, it CAN do all those things, but I don't feel it should.

I personally have 3 different sounds coming from Helix all the time, but they are coming from just the one instrument.

Hey Peter,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, always appreciate input!

I understand where you are coming from & I do understand a lot is riding on one single piece of gear.

Like I said, with my guitar & synth setup I am pretty happy with....I have tested it since I got my Helix in January this year. (The main reason I bought the unit )

Just wanted to know if it would be possible to run things as mentioned above. I will have to look into this before attempting anything.(You made me very skeptical)

Will contact customer support & hear what they have to say regarding this.

Theoretically, all of this is possible if you take into account what the Helix is, but from a practical point of view, I would not take the risk if it is going

to be unstable.

With that thinking in mind...

1) All Samples, Synth & Looping via XLR outs to front of house - YES, but if it's coming from the computer, front panel control won't apply

2)1/4 inch outs from Helix running guitar signal to Active Speakers in our back line - YES, possibly using separate chain or using FX send block

3) Returns  1/4 running IEM signal from USB 3/4 & 5/6 from Abelton (Two different Mixes for Vocals & Guitars ) - I Think you mean sends. Not sure you can separate these easily from the stuff in No. 1. Worth a try.

4) Sending a Signal from Ableton USB 7/8 split 1) for bass channel to FOH & Click to Drummer) via Returns - again, I think you mean sends. You need a separate path for this.

5) Running 2 Channels from outboard mixer into 2 Sends for Ableton input - you mean returns I think, but Yes. one more path.

I think this can be done.

It will drive you totally crazy, but I think it can be done.

Hey Guys,

This has most likely been covered....but I would like to pick your brains regarding some routing with the Helix.

I use the Helix as my main device for my guitar signal & I also play synth via Ableton (Samples. Piano, Looping,etc.)

So far I have a lot of success doing this in studio, BUT my band will start to gig next year....So I need to find out if the following routing is possible.

1) All Samples, Synth & Looping via XLR outs to front of house

2)1/4 inch outs from Helix running guitar signal to Active Speakers in our back line

3) Returns  1/4 running IEM signal from USB 3/4 & 5/6 from Abelton (Two different Mixes for Vocals & Guitars )

4) Sending a Signal from Ableton USB 7/8 split 1) for bass channel to FOH & Click to Drummer) via Returns

5) Running 2 Channels from outboard mixer into 2 Sends for Ableton input

In Ableton I am running a monitor mix for everyone. I will be getting the vocals, guitar signal & drum mix from a external mixer.  I will have my own channel for the guitars & vocals in Ableton.The idea is to have a Main mix (Samples, Guitars Vocals) in Ableton that goes out to front of house, a separate Bass Track to FOH  & then have two different monitor mixes running out via USB to the Return outs via the Helix.

My patches are DSP heavy so I can't make separate signal paths on the Helix. Will Ableton/DAW be able to route everything as mentioned above?

As always, I appreciate your time & advice!!

Thanks in advance!

Helix doesn't have direct matrix-type routing outside of home screen path Input and Output blocks except for USB In 1/2 Destination.

1) Doable, and it won't take up any of your paths. Assuming your main samples, synths, and looping is sent from Ableton via USB 1/2, set Global Settings > Ins/Outs > USB In 1/2 Destination to "XLR."

2) Obviously doable and it'll take at least one of your four paths. Set the path's output block to 1/4" instead of Multi.

3) You mean sends? This is also doable but it'll eat up two more paths. USB In 3/4 to Send 1/2 and USB In 5/6 to Send 3/4.

4) You've now eaten up all of your six analog outputs (XLR, 1/4", and Sends 1-4). You could cheat and use your fourth path to route from USB 7/8 to Digital, set Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Phones Monitor to "Digital," and use a stereo DI to convert Helix's Phones out to two FOH feeds...

5) By two sends you mean two USB channels from Helix to Ableton? There are no more paths to route Returns to USB outputs. You could always place Return blocks onto existing paths, but the path's output is gonna send the outboard mixer feed as well.

And again, this is assuming you only have one path/DSP for your guitar. The second DSP is wasted, as its paths are required for routing. Helix can accommodate track routing and monitor mixes for the MD and drummer all day. As soon as you try to feed separate mixes to the whole band, you're really looking at a dedicated monitor mixer or distribution system.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Hey Guys, sorry for the super late reply.....sh*t storm at the office due to season. Thank you both very much for your time & all the advice. I will sit down the next couple of days & reprogram my patch & let you know regarding the progress. You both are champs! Thank you once again!

I already knew the Helix can do much, but that's truly amazing.

However, I do agree with PeterHamm that this is a risky setup for gigging. Although my Helix has been very stable, your whole setup would depend on the Helix. I wouldn't go out without having a backup Helix in your case ...

I already knew the Helix can do much, but that's truly amazing.

However, I do agree with PeterHamm that this is a risky setup for gigging. Although my Helix has been very stable, your whole setup would depend on the Helix. I wouldn't go out without having a backup Helix in your case ...

Or, maybe he should just go ahead and do it and we'll all sit back and wait for the mushroom cloud to show itself halfway through the set....   ;)

Confusius say, "Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it"....

You guys crack me up!! :D

One thing you must know about me....I will NEVER put my self in a position where I will let my fellow musicians down regarding unstable gear/rig (I feel that will be super selfish). I do however believe in Line 6 as a company, I have been using there gear since 2003 & played many hours on there hardware & software.

I have never had any piece of gear fail me live or in studio (that includes some heavy cover band touring).

So far above mention has all been achieved, I am just running tests regarding the IEM at the moment. I have slimmed down the complexity of the rig after the original post & so far.....so good!!

I understand that there is a lot riding on one piece of gear, but I believe the Helix has got what it takes to pull it all off....I haven't even stated in here that my whole setlist is automated via usb (Ableton sending info to helix),  I change synth patches via Helix midi CC, etc....

I have rehearsed with this setup in "live" style environment & had it running for hours at end without any drop out or glitches...so I am pretty confident in the stability of the Helix. (been testing this since Feb this year on a weekly basis, 6 - 8 hours at a time)

The only thing that I was questioning was the FX Returns performing as a direct matrix style routing system. The only thing that I had to change is the actually Helix preset & how I use the DSP.

This is 2016....and technology has come a long way!!! I have achieved some mind blowing stuff with the Helix & super stoked that I am living in this time & age!!

...or maybe he'll be the next YouTube sensation in the Helix world by pushing the envelope of capabilities of this fine piece of equipment. Helix is not much fun if you're just playing around with your 4 block Thin Lizzy patches. 

Hahahahaha!!! Maybe I will be the next YouTube sensation..... ;)

I couldn't agree more, the way that I have been writing & performing my music would not be possible without the Helix. It is the brain of my rig & is doing one hell of a job executing it. In all my years of being a musician, I have never had so much fun writing or performing......

As little as 3 years back, I would not in my wildest dreams thought that all of this would be possible in a single piece of gear!  

I am planning on making some videos regarding my rig & how I use the Helix with my upcoming project. I will post a link here as soon as I get it done!

Once again, thank you all for your time & input, always awesome hearing what people think!