Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M9: How to use as a clean boost

jll115

Hi Folks and thanks for your help.  I am a simple guy.  I bought the M9 to get rid of my pedal board.  I only use effects occasionally.  What I do need is a clean boost so that when it is time for a guitar solo, I can cut through the mix.  Actually, I need two different boosts assigned to two different foot switches.  One boost is for clean songs, the other for songs with crunch.

It would be ideal if the boost I need were completely clean and didn't have any compression etc mixed in.  Can you folks tell me which effect would be best to use to get that boost?  Remember, I don't want any coloration of the tone along with the increased volume.  Thanks so much.

I use one of the eq effects, and set right it can be pretty transparent.  I have an m5-pre, and an m9-in loop.  When I need a clean boost, I use the m9, and the eq as mentioned (try them all see which works best for your setup).  When I need something a little dirtier, I use the m5, to push the amp... with either a boosted eq or the screamer with low gain.  That's me.

I will second what paulcutrona has said. Using EQ as a boost can is very transparent. I also like to use the screamer at low to no gain with the vol up for a bit of boost, which definitely a thickening of the sound and some ever so slight coloration. 

I really appreciate the help.  Sorry to be so thick here but which of the eqs would you reccommend as there are several.  Also, do I just boost up all the frequencies equally to get the boost.

Sorry to be so hard headed here, but I am just an old dude used to my old boost pedal that had one knob on it :).

You could use a graphic EQ and boost everything; I would personally focus more boost in the mids to cut through. Another option would be to leave the Studio EQ rather neutral and use the volume control in the bottom right corner as a boost.