Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snap Crackle and Pop 89F

Hello Gurus,

Have a new JTV-89F connected to my HD 500X -

I am getting snap crackles and pops -

Signal Path:

1. 89F

2. VDI Cable - Line 6

3. Guitar to HD 500X

4. XLR Output through XLR to Roland Octa-Capture (home studio) or Church PA Mixing Board (direct)

Snaps disappear as soon as I disconnect the VDI cable -

I've blown out the VDI ports on my Guitar and 500X

I've blown out the connections on the VDI Cable

Any suggestions - Also attaching a file with an example of the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help..

Merry Christmas!!

Trav...

SnapCrack-Pop2.mp3

try connecting the jtv with 1/4 cable.

if snaps disappear, then buy a new vdi cable.

I connected my Variax to the 1/4 and the sounds go away - Problem is, the 1/4 doesn't work reliably.. I plug it in and get nothing - I'll twist all the way up and get no sound, then out of nowhere the sound will appear - I posted a separate topic on that issue - Waiting to hear from Line6 Support Ticket.  :(  So at least part of the issue is my VDI cable . Now if only my guitar actually worked..  I haven't been able to use it for the last 2 weekend gigs.. :(  First the snapping showed up out of nowhere during the first gig, had to swap guitars, then the 1/4 stopped working or turns on and off with no rhyme as to why..  Hard to believe I paid so much for this guitar..  

I connected my Variax to the 1/4 and the sounds go away - Problem is, the 1/4 doesn't work reliably.. I plug it in and get nothing - I'll twist all the way up and get no sound, then out of nowhere the sound will appear - I posted a separate topic on that issue - Waiting to hear from Line6 Support Ticket. :( So at least part of the issue is my VDI cable . Now if only my guitar actually worked.. I haven't been able to use it for the last 2 weekend gigs.. :( First the snapping showed up out of nowhere during the first gig, had to swap guitars, then the 1/4 stopped working or turns on and off with no rhyme as to why.. Hard to believe I paid so much for this guitar..

"Refurbished" is Latin for "buy something else". You got a lemon. Return it if you can...it's gonna be an albatross.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The reason for using a VDI is for the connectors, as they lock snug.

Standard CAT5 can jiggle causing intermittencies and transients on

the supply line. 

CAT5e, CAT6,CAT7 are for a different and of data rate/frequencies, bringing

you outside the optimum data rate for Line 6 devices.

The ground hum at the beginning of the sound clip and the way the pops and clicks occur,

I need the whole set-up on my bench,... the guitar, the VDI cable, the 500X, et al.

Log a Support ticket.

I've logged 2 tickets on this issue - Because the issue also extends to the 1/4 connector and the volume pot. Are you in Calabasas? I am in SoCal and would be happy to get my guitar fixed.  Are you located in Calabasas?

I've logged tickets: 291053 and 291057 - I've attached my receipt to one as request by wvolkmann - He is going to assign the ticket to the service. department..  He was responding to 291053 - 291057 hasn't been opened yet.

I do appreciate you help...

Trav...

I don't know that. I fix the gear. The person you've been on the ticket with

will set that up. That would be worked out with him. I've made him aware that

I want the whole set-up from to the 500X. I know what's wrong from listening

to the audio clip,... I just have to isolate which device in the signal chain.

I don't know that. I fix the gear. The person you've been on the ticket with

will set that up. That would be worked out with him. I've made him aware that

I want the whole set-up from to the 500X. I know what's wrong from listening

to the audio clip,... I just have to isolate which device in the signal chain.

You do know there's an issue with the volume pot and 1/4 output as well?

See what you can work out with the support person in the ticket.

He's across the hall form me.

Part of the problem is shipping multiple boxes.. :(  I asked about covering the cost of shipping.. We'll see what is next.. Either way I try to go, I'm out money, if I return it, I'm likely to get charged a 20% restocking fee.. Or spend another 20% just to get a product working that should have been working in the first place..  

Part of the problem is shipping multiple boxes.. :( I asked about covering the cost of shipping.. We'll see what is next.. Either way I try to go, I'm out money, if I return it, I'm likely to get charged a 20% restocking fee.. Or spend another 20% just to get a product working that should have been working in the first place..

Re-stocking fee? Merry xmas...

"Refurbished" or not, it's a new purchase that you're returning because it's defective, not because you just decided you don't want it anymore. Charging a re-stocking fee under those circumstances is absurd...

Re-stock is usually with dealers. I don't know that we would have that on the L6 store.

The guitar would come back to me in any case, since I'm the JTV guy here.

Re-stocking fee? Merry xmas...

"Refurbished" or not, it's a new purchase that you're returning because it's defective, not because you just decided you don't want it anymore. Charging a re-stocking fee under those circumstances is absurd...

I purchased from L6 store and the item was shipped from GA - 

The Policy is that returned for defect is no restock fee - However I would have to cover the cost of shipping the guitar back to GA - Then wait for them to verify that there is a defect and then wait for them to credit my bank account.  

I'm taking a chance on PSarkissian and doing an RMA repair - L6 is covering the shipping and repairs and hopefully it won't take as long as it would to get a refund. 

Maybe I'm being too trusting of L6?? Don't know, but I do like the guitar and really would like to be able to have one to call my own..