Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bet Your Helix Never Did This

talonmm

Here's one I experienced this weekend and never saw this problem posted before.  Anyone else ever experience this?

I must have have corrupted my Helix device or the set-list files because for as long as I could remember, before this weekend, I could successfully switch presets in different set-lists without any issues.

Over the last few days, when I switched presets from different set-lists, no matter if I was doing it using with the Helix preset knob or the helix editor software, and played for a while, and then moved to a different tone in another set-list the following strange thing would occur:

The new tone I switched to, would have the proper name show up on the lighted display and also on the helix editor, however, the tone I heard was the tone taking up the same residence in the prior set-list. Another words, if I played 01A in one set list and switched to 01A in another set list, I would hear the same tone from the first set-list.  Worse, somehow the blocks and settings from the previous set-list was moved to my new tone and saved.  I repeatedly shut off the helix but it would still be there!

Thinking I must have been half asleep, I loaded up my backup and this happened again and again, repeatedly.  I own a second helix, one stays home, one goes to band practice and gigs and that helix acted fine this weekend.

Using the large display on the helix and the editor software confirmed that the name of the tone remained unchanged but every setting and block was overwritten.

Even worse, I accidentally backed everything up with the ruined set-lists so I almost destroyed my backups.  Lucky I had additional backups and a second helix to save the day.

I decided to rebuild the helix firmware, but as luck would have it, there was a brand new firmware upgrade (2.11) so I installed that and things seem back to normal.

I hope I don't have a helix system board flaking out causing this.  Worse, seems I spend way too much time dealing with Helix upgrades, problems, and learning curves than I do playing and improving on the guitar.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

My setlists were acting up prior to 2.11 but my experience wasn't the same. My preset names disappeared and every block was that of the very first factory preset and my Helix would freeze. What seemed to trigger it was trying to move a preset from one setlist to another.

No problem since 2.11

My setlists were acting up prior to 2.11 but my experience wasn't the same. My preset names disappeared and every block was that of the very first factory preset and my Helix would freeze. What seemed to trigger it was trying to move a preset from one setlist to another.

No problem since 2.11

Wow, thanks for the post.  Come to think of it, I did move a preset from one setlist to another setlist and my troubles started shortly after that.