Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quality of send/return (Helix "fx loops")

Rodrigo_s

I run my Helix direct to the mixing board, and for the longest time ran an external reverb pedal in one of the send/return fx loops on the Helix. One day I decided to run the reverb pedal after the Helix (1/4" mono out) instead of through the fx loop, and got, what I felt like, was a more pristine/clear sound out of my reverb unit. Now, I don't know if this was due to the fact that I do run the Global EQ with a significant high cut, or because there's a definite affect in tone through the send/returns the Helix provides. I know Line 6 states the guitar input on the unit is the highest quality found on the market, but I'm not sure what's going on with the rest of the input/output jacks. 

I'm asking because I have a few other high-quality effects that I've incorporated with my Helix setup, but I'm a bit reluctant to use them in the Helix fx loops, but I'm seriously missing the ability to turn them off/on via the Snapshots/block assign.

Can anyone share their experience using external effects through the send/returns of the Helix?

I do run the Global EQ with a significant high cut

Yes, this will affect the sound of the reverb when it's in a loop. When the reverb is in a loop, do you notice a change in the reverb sound when you bypass the global eq?

Been using the helix fx loops for months now with reverb pedals and there is no detectable change in the dry tone when toggling the loop on and off. AD/DA converters are so high quality these days. 

I run pedals in the loops, and I certainly don't notice degradation. It does sound like the global EQ is most likely the culprit. Why not try turning it off and seeing how it sounds? I think all of the converters on the Helix are the same. The guitar input is physically different only because it has the variable input Z.

I think all of the converters on the Helix are the same. The guitar input is physically different only because it has the variable input Z.

The A/D converters may all be the same but just wanted to point out in addition to the 'Guitar' input I believe the 'Aux' input is also different in that it has a different impedance(10KiloOhms) than the loop return inputs. What is the input impedance on the loop returns?

Sure wish that Line 6 published the Helix's I/O Sensitivity and Impedence Specs, akin to what Helix's parent Yamaha does for the various Inputs on, for example, the DXR Monitors. At least then, we'd all be able to see the same values playbook.

...do you notice a change in the reverb sound when you bypass the global eq?

...it does sound like the global EQ is most likely the culprit. 

Yeah. You guys were right. It was the global EQ. I feel kinda dumb for not trying that before, guess I was just too caught up in the improvement I heard to think through it a bit more. I will say, though, I will keep my reverb unit after the Helix, because I like the way I'm able to have my guitar tone's frequencies high-cut, but still get the full spectrum of high frequencies from the reverb unit. I will be sticking a few more pedals in the Helix send/return loops with a bit more confidence now, but like others have stated here, it would be nice to know what the specs are on these send and returns we're using throughout the unit. Thank you guys for your input!

• Upvote 1

Im just glad that you came back and stated it was a user issue and not a Helix one ro_san. You wouldn't believe the people that post a topic here about how Helix SUXs cause it did this or that (and when no one else has seen this issue before) , and then you never hear from them again, owning up to their own positive conclusions like you just did. +1.  

Thanks, Spikey. I'm not big on ego. I like to be part of these forums because I know there is a great deal I can learn from others.

I encountered an issue with my previous reverb unit and contacted L6 about it, posted on here and on a facebook user group about it.... and never quite found a solution. Turns out, it was the reverb unit itself, cause now that I use a different one -- I have zero issues. I think I've just been skeptical about using Helix with other units since that first encounter. Glad to have a good support system here with all of you, though :)

Have you considered putting an EQ block after the Cab Sim or IR block and then followed by the effects loop with your reverb going through it in your signal chain? This would achieve the sound you're looking for but with a bit more flexibility and control.