Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anyone have queensryche presets with out IRs for helix

Demonblues

Tone matching is a game of inches. Doesn't really matter who you're trying to emulate...the process is always the same: experiment with diffrent amp/cab/mic choices until you hear what you're looking for. Tweak, play, repeat.

Theoretically, you could start with choosing the amp model that's the same as (or at least similar to) whatever those guys were using back in the day (if anyone even knows what that was), but even that's not a magic bullet. Much depends on the guitar you're using, and what you're playing through (amp, headphones, studio monitors, etc). The same patch that gets me a convincing Queensryche tone might sound like a chainsaw with your rig...continuity from one player to the next is almost non-existent...too many variables. The experimental phase is long, often frustrating, and there are really no shortcuts.

As a Queensryche fan also, I would be interested in the same , however, the answer above sums it up...too many variables for each user to arrive at a globally accepted result perhaps.

I have the same problem with my Def Leppard tone that I'm always trying to nail, which is really their live sound now, which is a very modern high gain sound with great dynamics...but what is that exactly?

I think a better way to pursue it is to try and understand how these tones are made by the original artist, i.e. in fundamental terms, are they using low mids or high mids, no treble at all, very low bass, and try and go from there. At least you can apply those principles to each amp model and cab combo and go from there, because I'm pretty sure most of the amp models can be made to sound drastically different just using the main tone controls, and I do find Helix to be very sensitive on those controls which is great really because you have a better chance of capturing a good sound for yourself.

In my experience, the big bands always seem to put their guitar signal through so many gizmos that it's probably a bit academic what amps they may have used because you probably still won't quite get that finished sound, unless you're a whizz with EQ maybe.

Do some searches on "artist X's" guitar rig. If you can find what they were using back in the day, it will give you a starting point for building a preset. I did a quick search on Chris DeGarmo, and didn't really find anything though. 

Don't know if this helps, but I vaguely recall reading an article long ago where the two guitarists talked about using rack mount setups based around the legacy ADA MP-1 pre-amp...

I believe they were using solid state power amps into banks of 4x12 cabs.

It should be fairly easy to get Mindcrime approximations but before that their guitar sounds were... not as great... and it's actually harder to get those sounds than it is "good ones".  But if you slam a Marshall JCM 800 with a tube screamer and a ds-1 then put too much reverb on it you can get right up near to the guitar sounds from The Warning pretty fast. Just need a liberal supply of pre-delay on the verb.