Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic port connection to studio monitors

Johnrp100

Hi,

I have a sonic port that I currently run through my amp with bias fx. I would like to get a pair of studio monitors to be able to listen purely to the modelling of the software without the amp 'muddying' the sound.

I am lookin at a pair of alesis monitors that have a left and right 1/4 jack inputs on the rear of the powered monitor. The sonic port only has a single 1/4 out. I see hosa make a splitter cable but I was wondering if this will be ok to use with the sonic port as I assume the signal comes out in stereo and the splitter would then take a stereo signal to the monitors.

Probably a dumb question but I know nothing about audio and I assume the monitors individually are in mono and it's only when they are connected to each other that a stereo signal is created. So is a single split cable to the left and right inputs of the monitor going to cause any issues with the sound. I am trying to clean up the sound by purchasing the monitors rather than using the amp and bias fx.

Many thanks

The 1/4 output on the SonicPort (non VX model) is a TRS output (tip-ring-sleeve - looks like a 1/4" headphone plug) compatible output jack which can also be run in mono mode (when a standard mono 1/4 plug is inserted, it detects the shorting of the ring signal and just bridges the output).

It's unbalanced out.  But the two ways you can get your signal to the Alesis would be a 1/4 TRS to 1/4 dual mono (TS - called a tip-sleeve) cable (looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Stereo-Audio-Cable-AV-YS15/dp/B00E3BN8IS)

Or you could use the headphone output and use 1/8" TRS to dual-1/4 TS.

Or you could even use a 1/8" TRS to dual XLR (https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CYX-403M-XLR3M-Stereo-Breakout/dp/B000068OEP)

Can't really control Left to Right balance, or output levels without the App (you can use the monitor's volume control, if needed), but it works.

Key thing is as long as you have 2 speakers, no reason not to keep the signal stereo on the way out to the monitors (don't bother with a 1/4" TS to dual 1/4" TS splitter cable.)

Many thanks for your response. It was very helpful. If I use the 1/4 inch try to dual 1/4 inch TVs does it change the stereo signal from the port to mono? I would then need to find settings in bias fx to send to set up left right outputs to the monitors? Is that correct?

John