Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Helix - Volume boost question

sbeam3

I have only had my Helix for a little over a week. I have set up a decent combination of effects to give me a clean tone and dirty. What I would like is to be able to boost my volume for solos. I've seen videos where people put in 3db volume boosts but I am not sure how they do it. I don't want to change my tone, just volume boost. Any advice?

Probably the best effect would be the "gain" block located in the volume/gain category placing it at the end of the signal chain so that it doesn't push any gain sections harder. There are at least a couple different ways to set it up. You can assign it to a footswitch or snapshot or you could link it to an expression pedal and control the gain boost that way. You could also assign level parameter of the amp or a block toward the end of the chain to a footswitch and have it change the volume that way. The gain block is easier to set up in my opinion but takes up a block, while the level parameter will not take a block

One method I like using is assigning the Output block at the very end of the signal chain to a footswitch and setting up a 3db or 4db boost on it. This is the best method for ensuring a clean boost if you are looking for one that does not drive any effect or amp blocks differently but simply raises the volume. It also does not require an additional block. As Cody_smith pointed out there are other methods for placing the boost further upstream that will interact with the amp or other effects and drive them harder. Lots of flexibility and choices for a boost on the Helix, just depends on what you are looking for.

One method I like using is assigning the Output block at the very end of the signal chain to a footswitch and setting up a 3db or 4db boost on it. This is the best method for ensuring a clean boost if you are looking for one that does not drive any effect or amp blocks differently but simply raises the volume. It also does not require an additional block. As Cody_smith pointed out there are other methods for placing the boost further upstream that will interact with the amp or other effects and drive them harder. Lots of flexibility and choices for a boost on the Helix, just depends on what you are looking for.

The only deficit of including a several db boost to the Output Block is that, as far as I know, there is no means to assign this to a footswitch to allow easy Bypass of the Level Boost. Using a Gain Block to add the few db boost allows you to easily assign a Bypass assign to a footswitch or Snapshot.

The only deficit of including a several db boost to the Output Block is that, as far as I know, there is no means to assign this to a footswitch to allow easy Bypass of the Level Boost. Using a Gain Block to add the few db boost allows you to easily assign a Bypass assign to a footswitch or Snapshot.

The level parameter in the output block(s) can be controlled just like any other parameter. So you could tie it to an expression pedal, a footswitch, or have it change with snapshots. I do this quite a lot with snapshots. It's a nice way to level the volume of snapshots with different gain levels.

The level parameter in the output block(s) can be controlled just like any other parameter. So you could tie it to an expression pedal, a footswitch, or have it change with snapshots. I do this quite a lot with snapshots. It's a nice way to level the volume of snapshots with different gain levels.

Thanks, Phil! I didn't know this could be controlled (other than direct editing when selected). Great tip! This Tip should be in the next vers. of the User Guide PDF!

I was thinkng about Bypass Assign (not being available for the Output block).

^^^ What phil_m ( I :) ) said! I have one of these set up on every preset for a completely transparent boost and it is assigned to a stomp footswitch.

Assigning Output block to footswitch for boost

1. Select Output block
  2. Bring up 'Controller Assign' screen
  3. Select 'Level' under the 'Parameter' knob (knob 1)
  4. Select the footswitch or controller you want to assign the boost to under the 'Controller' parameter (knob 2)
  5. Set the 'Min' parameter to the same level you use for your Output block's normal volume and the 'Max' parameter to the volume bump you want for your boost. Usually 3-4db more than the 'Min' parameter.
  6. Save the preset

^^^ What phil_m ( I :) ) said! I have one of these set up on every preset for a completely transparent boost and it is assigned to a stomp footswitch.

Assigning Output block to footswitch for boost

• Select Output block
  • Bring up 'Controller Assign' screen
  • Select 'Level' under the 'Parameter' knob (knob 1)
  • Select the footswitch or controller you want to assign the boost to under the 'Controller' parameter (knob 2)
  • Set the 'Min' parameter to the level you want for your normal volume and the 'Max' parameter to the volume bump you want for your boost. Usually 3-4db more than the 'Min' parameter.
  • Save the preset
Awesome!! Thanks for posting the steps.

I started using the output block the same way as described with the snapshots, but I also use it with each output (a lot of times I separate input and output on path 1 and 1a and 2 and then just put all the output blocks on one expression pedal to use as a volume pedal) instead of adding a volume pedal block

I started using the output block the same way as described with the snapshots, but I also use it with each output (a lot of times I separate input and output on path 1 and 1a and 2 and then just put all the output blocks on one expression pedal to use as a volume pedal) instead of adding a volume pedal block

Nice use of the expression pedal with Output blocks!

I just set the output to be controlled by snapshots and set the levels from there.

This then leaves free a space taken up by a gain block and makes it easy to set levels quickly on the fly instead of going to the gain block to adjust (my signal chain is quite complicated with various gain blocks in various places to cut off parallel chains when i need)

Only downside of having output block level controlled by a footswitch is that both the boosted and non-boosted levels have to be programmed into the switch, you can't set it up to add a certain number of dB. So when you want to change the level of the whole patch or snapshot, you have to do it in the output block, and the boosted and non-boosted footswitch levels.

Would love to see relative settings available for footswitches, would simplify this sort of thing.

These are precisely the sort of Tips that are worthy of being briefly noted in the Helix User Guide! Or, in a Categorized Helix Tips & Tricks Guide (PDF, Wiki, or Line 6 Knowledgebase). Unfortunately, if only posted here in the Forums, threads get displaced as new threads are added.

Only downside of having output block level controlled by a footswitch is that both the boosted and non-boosted levels have to be programmed into the switch, you can't set it up to add a certain number of dB. So when you want to change the level of the whole patch or snapshot, you have to do it in the output block, and the boosted and non-boosted footswitch levels.

Would love to see relative settings available for footswitches, would simplify this sort of thing.

That would be a nice feature. If I understand you correctly you would be able to have a relative boost on the Output block that you could set for instance at +4db and it would just add 4db to whatever the output level was when boosted. A relative control would be better than the current method where for example if you have the Output block's level at 0db, you must explicitly set the 'Min'=0db and the 'Max'=4db and are forced to change both values anytime you change the Output block's level.  I like this idea.

Not at my Helix at the moment, so please excuse if the answer to the following question would otherwise be somewhat obvious by trying it.

The affect of a Gain Block, configured for a +3db boost, is easily bypassed, when the Gain Block is selected by the Joystick controller and then Helix's Main Bypass Button is pressed. Press again and the Gain Block is no longer bypassed and the affect of the Boost returns. No Footswitch nor Controller assignment nor Bypass Assignments are required. Only selecting the Block and pressing the Bypass Button.

Does the Output Block respond the same? If the only parameter of the Output Block (that has been altered from it's default value) is the Level, for example, a +3db boost, and the Output Block were Selected by the Joystick control, would pressing Helix's main Bypass Button bypass the 3db boost essentially reverting the Output Block's Level to default?

You're right guys, it would act the same. Only plus is not having to add an extra block to do it, probably not that important.

Given the extra complexity for end users and development required, I think it's a poor idea.

You're right guys, it would act the same. Only plus is not having to add an extra block to do it, probably not that important.

Given the extra complexity for end users and development required, I think it's a poor idea.

I don't see how this would act any differently than just having a gain block with a 3 dB boost.

The gain block is a good alternative but it does require an extra block, potentially several depending on your routing. I can see where it might not be worth the development effort given that current available option but I think zooey is being too hard on his idea here. I think the implementation he proposes would ultimately reduce complexity and repeated adjustments, and be simpler for the user. I still like the idea and would prefer it to having to add an additional gain block. That said, there are plenty of other things that development resources could be devoted to, so I understand whenever there is a working current alternative it becomes debatable whether an enhancement should be pursued. For now I will continue to use the output block or switch to the gain block where it becomes unwieldy but I wouldn't mind if his idea made it into a firmware version at some point.