Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax battery draining rapidly.

Not had my Variax JTV69S long, just lately when only playing for a hour or so the battery is dead.

I'm wondering if maybe my Relay G10 might be the issue, any one else have one having any issues.

Next step I'm going to try a lead instead of the G10.

But surely I shouldn't have to do this?

" Batteries suck " but should still.last more than a hour when fairly new.

Yes...but it all depends on what "new" actually means. These guitars are a niche product, and tend to sit around in somebody's inventory for a while before they're purchased. That battery could easily have been rotting in a warehouse, never charged, for months or years before you bought it. Rechargeable batteries don't fare well under those conditions.

It was working fine for a month or so.

OK, but that still doesn't make it a "new" battery. The serial number on the JTV indicates when it was built....there are a bunch of threads in here where it's been discussed, and while there's some debate as to the exact formula they use, you should at least be able to decipher the year of manufacture, and possibly the month. It comes up periodically...there are still "new" guitars being sold that were built 2, 3, and 4 years ago. And unless you're buying from Sweetwater (they give you the serial number of the exact instrument you're getting before you buy), there's no way to tell how long it was sitting in somebody's warehouse.

All sorted now, replacement battery on it's way.

Think my guitar was about 3 years old when I received it as NEW.

That'll do it...

And I'm not surprised. As much as I like my JTV, they're a tough sell. Most players (even lots of tech-savvy ones) don't even know they exist. They often sit around collecting dust...which is why it's so rare to actually find one in a store. Nobody wants to stock them. I live within spitting distance of 3 large "Megalomusic" retailers, all L6 dealers. Never seen one hanging on the wall at any of them.

I remember when I joined these forums when I purchased my Amplifi, kept on seeing the Variax being mentioned across the forums and didn't have a clue what it was?

It was only by accident I stumbled across a thread and realised what they were and was then intrigued.

Month later I had one, starting to like it a lot more now, even tho I've not used the modelling side much.

Month later I had one, starting to like it a lot more now, even tho I've not used the modelling side much.

You should try out the acoustic models with your Amplifi...if I'm not mistaken, that's an FRFR amp, yes? You should be able to get very convincing acoustic tones.

Also, if you're using the mag pickups most of the time, you don't need the battery at all. It's only necessary for the models, but as soon as you plug in the 1/4" cable, the guitar is "on" and the battery is draining. To avoid excess wear and tear on the new one, just leave it in the case, and throw it in the charger every so often.

Well I only decided to start using the piezos again and get my monies worth. Only to find the problem with the battery.

Yeah the acoustics sound great on the Amplifi.

Going to buy a Firehawk Fx and a pair of monitor speakers next year. So I get the Variax integration.

Yes...but it all depends on what "new" actually means. These guitars are a niche product, and tend to sit around in somebody's inventory for a while before they're purchased. That battery could easily have been rotting in a warehouse, never charged, for months or years before you bought it. Rechargeable batteries don't fare well under those conditions.

Lithium ion batteries actually store relatively well long term and have a relatively small self-discharge rate.

But the batteries that come with the Variax should last quite a while. I mean, I've had my JTV69 since 2012, and I use the batteries all the time. I can't say I measure the actual run-time, but between rehearsals and even gigs, I can go a few weeks before charging them (I have two batteries). I also use the G10 with my JTV, and it doesn't cause the JTV battery to drain an faster than normal.

Lithium ion batteries actually store relatively well long term and have a relatively small self-discharge rate.

But the batteries that come with the Variax should last quite a while. I mean, I've had my JTV69 since 2012, and I use the batteries all the time. I can't say I measure the actual run-time, but between rehearsals and even gigs, I can go a few weeks before charging them (I have two batteries). I also use the G10 with my JTV, and it doesn't cause the JTV battery to drain an faster than normal.

Well that's good to hear about you not having any issues with the G10 and Variax battery.

Hopefully my next battery will last longer.

Actively using and recharging a lithium ion battery is not the same as letting it discharge while it sits unused in a warehouse for years on end. The OP was shipped a "new" 3 year old instrument.

Keeping the electrons flowing in and out of these type of batteries is what keeps them "healthy" and usable long-term. Go ahead and buy one and let it rot for an extended period of time, then tell me what happens. Sometimes they won't take a charge at all, and even if it does, it usually won't last long when used. I've seen it with everything from phones, tablets, and iPods, to handicapped scooter batteries. Let 'em sit long enough, and they're garbage.

Well that's good to hear about you not having any issues with the G10 and Variax battery.

Hopefully my next battery will last longer.

It should last longer...and I don't see how the wireless unit has anything to do with it one way or the other, unless you're leaving the 1/4" jack plugged in when not in use. Even a regular cable left plugged in will drain it.

These batteries must be " exercised" or they wont work properly. I bought a mint JTV69 last month and when I saw the dusty battery in the charger covered with dust I knew it would be a problem. Once it fully discharges and sits it will not fully charge. These batteries suck.

Had to order one just to have the option. I prefer the battery pack on my old Variax 500 to the hit and miss JTV camera battery. Of course I have the VDI cable but occasionally like to use my Line 6 wireless unit.

• 4 weeks later...

That'll do it...

And I'm not surprised. As much as I like my JTV, they're a tough sell. Most players (even lots of tech-savvy ones) don't even know they exist. They often sit around collecting dust...which is why it's so rare to actually find one in a store. Nobody wants to stock them. I live within spitting distance of 3 large "Megalomusic" retailers, all L6 dealers. Never seen one hanging on the wall at any of them.

Guess I'm lucky, My local GC (Nashua) usually has one or two hanging around, They had a Standard and a JTV for a while, which gave me a chance to try them both out, which helped convince me to get one.

Guess I'm lucky, My local GC (Nashua) usually has one or two hanging around, They had a Standard and a JTV for a while, which gave me a chance to try them both out, which helped convince me to get one.

That must be a new development.  I had to drive 250 miles from Burlington, VT to Boston GC to find a stocking store.

• 2 weeks later...