Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Simple insane Question?

kc5zga2013

Ok I am going to try to simplify my question:

1. can a user, using pre-made dialed in presets, Assign said presets to exist in a group of snapshots, to eliminate delay when changing presets live?

2. Spent a lot of time setting up a pre-set group or set list, I want to get rid of the long lag when changing presets, I play guitar for a worship service, and time lag is very noticeable on live broadcast recordings. Can some one help? 

Up to Eight (8) Snapshots may exist within a Preset.

Snapshots are Helix's method to avoid noticable lethargy when switching amongst different configurations of the various Block Parameters comprising the Preset.

Use one of the pre-made dialed in Presets as a template. Copy it to another Preset slot in one of your Helix Setlists. Rename it, if you wish. Do so for each song, if you desire. Each of these may be further edited, as you desire. This includes adding additional Blocks, Bypassing some of the already pre-made dialed in Block value parameters, etc.

There are limitations to what a Preset can do. There are a maximum of up to Four Amps and Cabs if both Paths are used. See the User Guide PDF (2.0 Rev D is the latest) for the limitations.

Hope this helps, until the experts post their replies....

Although sometimes two or more presets could be migrated and collapsed into a single preset using snapshots, this strategy will not always work due to the way DSP is allocated on the Helix within a single preset. All blocks within a preset are pre-loaded into DSP whether active or inactive; that is why there is low latency on snapshot switches. There is usually not enough DSP to allow several presets worth of blocks within one preset unless there are very few blocks in each preset you are migrating into one. This much DSP would have required more expensive or a couple of more DSP chips. The strategy with snapshots, as has been mentioned, is that they share blocks but change the parameters or bypass/activate blocks between snapshots. There is a limit to how much you can cram into one preset due to DSP limits. So by judiciously choosing what effects, amps, cabs, etc., you put within a preset, how you route them, and with clever changing of parameters from snapshot to snapshot you can make a single preset very flexible and appear to be a multi-channel amp or even two or three amps with a generous if not huge array of effects on tap.

Snapshots is a fantastic feature and there is definitely far less latency (not noticeable for the most part) between switching snapshots than presets. Snapshots also provide trails functionality for effects like delay and reverb. For many players and songs snapshots are all that is needed to provide a relatively seamless switch between song parts. It is not a cure-all or a complete substitute for switching between presets but for songs that don't require significant swapping out of effect/amp types for major tone changes it will suffice. I still think Line6 should continue to work on reducing latency between presets, provide trails between presets if the same delay/reverb effect block is used between presets, and lastly if possible should fix the recently discovered issue where certain parameter changes on effects blocks with trails activated cause a glitch between snapshots.

I want to thank you, This is what I was trying to find out. my issue is:

Our original worship music changes from Very cleans to Hard edged and back and forth, with both guitars playing question and answer with loud melodic leads.

I found a great clean preset, A very cool 80"s sounding distortion preset, A crazy lead sound that cuts thru mix. I switch back and forth from these presets every song, what I am trying to achieve is to lose the delay time between these presets. I do use IR's. The sound is incredible, I just wish I could  get the same sounds contained in a single snapshot.  I will try all of your ideas, see what I can come up with.. thanks for your help. I will continue to monitor this forum for new ideas on how to get here from there :)   Thanks again !!

Our original worship music changes from Very cleans to Hard edged and back and forth, with both guitars playing question and answer with loud melodic leads.

I found a great clean preset, A very cool 80"s sounding distortion preset, A crazy lead sound that cuts thru mix. I switch back and forth from these presets every song, what I am trying to achieve is to lose the delay time between these presets. I do use IR's. The sound is incredible, I just wish I could  get the same sounds contained in a single snapshot.  I will try all of your ideas, see what I can come up with.. thanks for your help. I will continue to monitor this forum for new ideas on how to get here from there :)   Thanks again !!

There's no reason you can't accomplish this.  The key to what is causing you the problem are statement like "I found...".  In order to get where you want to go you will most likely need to build your own presets.  There's nothing hard about this and you already have all the information you need in the presets you downloaded.  Take that information and plan out your own single preset divided into a set of snapshots.

Downloaded presets are a very good way to learn how to setup presets, but to get the most out of your unit you will likely need to invest some time and energy in learning how to do things yourself.  You'll get far more mileage and far fewer restrictions out of your Helix once you make that investment.

By the way, you can copy and paste elements like effects and amps between presets.

Click on my user name, and send me a message with your email address. I'll send you a couple of my worship presets that have snapshots set up. I usually run in 4preset/4snapshot mode on the foot switches. I have found that 4 snapshots are plenty for our worship songs. 

I have a few that have pristine cleans, dirt, heavier overdrive, and ambient snapshots all using one amp model, but varying the effects and parameters.